Quantcast

Boxxer WC, bleh!

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
Fork felt great first two weeks. Super sensitive beginning of the stroke felt very plush, very active. Beginning last week the fork has stiffened up considerably as if someone turned in the compression and gate knobs all the way. The fork feels locked out almost, the knobs are completely unscrewed counter-clockwise though. It's as if there's some type of restriction (massive amounts of dirt in the fork or something ridiculous), the controls are busted and ARE somehow turned in without physically being turned clockwise, or like the pressure has been pumped up to a million. Any ideas anyone? Very very strange...I'm lost.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Tear it down. Pull off the crowns first and see which side (air or damper) is @ fault. The fork is really simple to service w/ some mechanical aptitude and the RS service manual it can be done.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
keen said:
Tear it down. Pull off the crowns first and see which side (air or damper) is @ fault. The fork is really simple to service w/ some mechanical aptitude and the RS service manual it can be done.
Actually easier than pulling the crowns off is to just undo the pinchbolts on one side first (say undo the damper side crown pinchbolts first), then bounce on the fork whilst on the bike and see how it feels, then do those ones back up and try it with the other side.

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
Ok...I try to explaine but my English not so good!

Firts of all, lower the presure to the half of what was the right amount for before the problem appears.
When the fork feels much better now, loose the bolt on the bottom of the left outer leg. Now oil will come out with much more presure the normal! If this all happens, your fork (SoloAir unit) leaks air! This air causes some kind of second airspring between the inner and the outer tube in the left leg.
You have to disasamble the outer tubes an fix the lower sealing of the SoloAirunit. Don´t forget to unpresure the SoloAir before disasambly!!!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Where can i find a copy of the RS service manual? I've checked through my 06 manual and it's not there, and the Sram site is less than helpful.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Pull out the cartridge, and take a look at the o-rings, spray with alchy hall, and make sure to only but 5cc of oil in the positive chamber, just enough to make it moist. I've accidentally put too much fluid in the + chamber and it makes it feel as you describe...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mantra said:
Ok...I try to explaine but my English not so good!

Firts of all, lower the presure to the half of what was the right amount for before the problem appears.
When the fork feels much better now, loose the bolt on the bottom of the left outer leg. Now oil will come out with much more presure the normal! If this all happens, your fork (SoloAir unit) leaks air! This air causes some kind of second airspring between the inner and the outer tube in the left leg.
You have to disasamble the outer tubes an fix the lower sealing of the SoloAirunit. Don´t forget to unpresure the SoloAir before disasambly!!!

sehr interesting, so basically you encountered bleeding from the negative chamber in the bottom of the stanchion, to the space between the lowers and the stanchion.
thinking of it its clear that the result would be additional air preload that wont be compensated for by the solo air automatic-positive-to-negative-bleed system.