Quantcast

Boxxer WC / WC Keronite

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
So, season is over and now its time to get next seasons bike to be build up. For that reason I ordered myself a 2011 Boxxer WC Keronite. Mostly because of same price compared to standard WC Boxxers and I really like the look of black anoed crowns.

But now, as I got it I'm not quite happy with this Keronite grey finish. Especially paired with my white 224 frame.

But as always for me form follows function and one of the reason for the Keronite was that RockShox announced new internals (solo air and damping) for the Keronite version on release.

When I have a look at the spareparts catalog there are listed only the known internals that differ between 2010 model and 2011/12 model. So this leads to the conclusion that there are no special or updated internals for the Keronite version.

Any ideas about this?

Link to the press release:
RockShox BoXXer Keronite - First Look - Pinkbike.com

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
The 'new' internals AFAIK refer to the difference between the 2010 forks and the 2011, something that was IMO confusing that the time.

The confusion stopped when i ordered some 888 WC Ti EVOs.

Quick quiz: How many 'updates' have SRAM issued for the new style Boxxer chassis since launch?

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
OK thanks.

As I ordered a black WC and a Keronite I think I'll keep the black one. I don't care for the 30 grams difference in weight. Just wanted to be sure that there are no special tweeks or something on the Keronite.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
you could pull em apart and look at them and see for yourself if there are differences.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
you probably use a boobar bar and stem and elixirs and have rock shox air suspensions.

well cause hey the syndicate run sram,hey the specialized team runs sram hey giant for sure got PAYED to roll on sram and downgrade quality SPECIALY in the suspension aspect of performance and quality.

sram wish they could have a epic system like the di2 or shadow plus.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
you probably use a boobar bar and stem and elixirs and have rock shox air suspensions.

well cause hey the syndicate run sram,hey the specialized team runs sram hey giant for sure got PAYED to roll on sram and downgrade quality SPECIALY in the suspension aspect of performance and quality.

You're an idiot.

Also, dump has been riding bikes since before you could even speak english (which at this point is still debateable.)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

whoa!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

You could tell Danny Hart was much slower in his championship run with the Sram stuff. He would have needed a wheelbarrow for his balls if he would have been running Fox stuff.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You could tell Danny Hart was much slower in his championship run with the Sram stuff. He would have needed a wheelbarrow for his balls if he would have been running Fox stuff.
agreed he looked like he was struggling, bet they are all on fox/shimano next year.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
whatever, rs is a do not want in my book and i agree with p-spec that keronite is hardcore bull**** and noone should buy it.

but he did take it over the line with that post.

btw, dhbrigade you could always swap the lowers if you want to keep the keronite.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
You're an idiot.

Also, dump has been riding bikes since before you could even speak english (which at this point is still debateable.)
sorry frasier,but you have no say your on the sram bandwagon.

I've been riding since im 11p.s you have no pull either with that/

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
and p ****ing s if you dont beleive money has anything to do in the industry,once again I wont even bother replying.

Talk with frasier and let him tell you how sram products are all better and mroe expensive.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
man, sometimes i´m glad i´m from germany. sram is actually selling spare parts (read: rebuild kits) to the consumer. something that the distributor of fox is not willing to do.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
and p ****ing s if you dont beleive money has anything to do in the industry,once again I wont even bother replying.

Talk with frasier and let him tell you how sram products are all better and mroe expensive.
Are you drunk? That was like four pissed off posts in a row.

We get it. **** sram.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
whatever, rs is a do not want in my book and i agree with p-spec that keronite is hardcore bull**** and noone should buy it.
umm what if someone wants the lightest most high performing fork that rock shox produces?

this thread is getting real funny real quick.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
from the sound of your posts riding for 3 years is hardly a life time man dude.
BAM!!! Serious though, why are you so vehemently against SRAM p-spec. This and the ti spring thread you are all hating on them like they stole your favorite G.I. Joe. Take a few deep breaths and then rejoin us in normal people levels of caring man.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
from the sound of your posts riding for 3 years is hardly a life time man dude.

loool,and im not 40 or in my 30's either.I would kill for a ridemonkey race on a real mountain resort,then we would see all the elites on here.....with their experience,whilling to bet everyone on a sram set-up will be generaly slower then anyone a 40.
40 shows experience right off the bat,a damper system that works,and a fork that isn't made of paper thin chinese white metal like a boxxer.And way overpriced.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you can't keep your language civil, your posts will disappear. Capiche?

Secondly, you may wan to start using a spell checker if you actually want to be comprehensible.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
was?

is probably the first one in this hole thread with a right proper answer.

And yes cabin fever,alone on the floor at the shop ALLL day,im off to the bar to watch hockey and drink 4litres

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
loool,and im not 40 or in my 30's either.I would kill for a ridemonkey race on a real mountain resort,then we would see all the elites on here.....with their experience,whilling to bet everyone on a sram set-up will be generaly slower then anyone a 40.
40 shows experience right off the bat,a damper system that works,and a fork that isn't made of paper thin chinese white metal like a boxxer.And way overpriced.
Ironic in so many ways, at least the pieces that you can make sense of.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I must be stupid..........I'm going from my much loved Fox 40 to a Boxxer WC for next year. I will say that I haven't personally heard of (from my local area) any quality issues with the Boxxer in 2011. If the Boxxer proves to be crap compaired to the 40 it will go away and be replaced with another 40.

As for other Sram products: I have much love for their drivetrain. Minus their cassettes. I have had good luck with their brakes as well. In my oppinion we can thank Sram for upping their game other the past so many years and forcing Shimano to step up. As a result you can't really go wrong with either brand.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I must be stupid..........I'm going from my much loved Fox 40 to a Boxxer WC for next year. I will say that I haven't personally heard of (from my local area) any quality issues with the Boxxer in 2011. If the Boxxer proves to be crap compaired to the 40 it will go away and be replaced with another 40.

As for other Sram products: I have much love for their drivetrain. Minus their cassettes. I have had good luck with their brakes as well. In my oppinion we can thank Sram for upping their game other the past so many years and forcing Shimano to step up. As a result you can't really go wrong with either brand.

Love the sram drive train as well minus cassettes and chains.
The 2011 boxxer wc is a great fork the remedied issues on the 2010, its a good fork.
And as stated if you don't like it sell off and swap back to a 40, make sure to play with the dia.s and tune it they really do work well. Love 40s too both good products.

At the end of the day just ride what you have and have fun, its not so much the equipment that makes an epic ride its the riders and the time spent riding.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Love the sram drive train as well minus cassettes and chains.
The 2011 boxxer wc is a great fork the remedied issues on the 2010, its a good fork.
And as stated if you don't like it sell off and swap back to a 40, make sure to play with the dia.s and tune it they really do work well. Love 40s too both good products.

At the end of the day just ride what you have and have fun, its not so much the equipment that makes an epic ride its the riders and the time spent riding.
What is Dia.s??????

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
While this cliche is absolutely correct at some level, you can't possibly argue that equipment doesn't matter. A fork sitting in warranty means no fork for riding, so questioning the quality of a product is 100% valid.

Also, as a mechanic and longtime rider, I can wholeheartedly say that while SRAM may not have quality that is quite as consistent as Fox, their warranty program and general customer service is very good. Easy to get a hold of, easy to get replacement parts from, and less eager to take your money than Fox (in my experience). While I have seen more Rockshox forks have issues than Fox, the Fox forks that I have seen fail have required substantial investments to get fixed. I personally blew up a Rockshox Pike in an exceptionally stupid dirt jumping accident, and SRAM replaced both the compression and rebound cartridges no questions asked.

One of the main issues of Rockshox, at least in my opinion, is their use of plastic internals. They aren't as precise as the machined internals of Fox, straight up. That said, Rockshox forks are the most user friendly forks imaginable when it comes time to service them, and spare parts are generally very inexpensive and easily replaceable by any novice mechanic that can follow a simple instruction sheet. Rockshox forks require more service, especially Boxxers, and I always advise people to check oil levels out of the box. A well-functioning Boxxer is one of the best downhill forks out there.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Men, what's wrong with you guys? One simple question, only two answers (somehow) and then three pages of flaming and bashing.

You don't like SRAM products? OK no one forces you to buy SRAM or RS stuff. Go with your [insert fancy product name here] and be happy with it.

Starting with BMX in the late 80's, riding mountainbikes since 1990 an racing DH on elite level since now more than 12 years I replaced tons of parts on my bikes. But I never screamed like you girlies.

And one other thing: Whats up with you Keronite haters? Its just a WC with a lighter color? Same fork, different color. So what makes it suck?

Go out and ride some trails!!! Think this should work for most of you guys.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Ok.....can someone just ban this clown?!?!?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Ahahahaha. Are you that blind guy from Kranked? Because you must be blind to think that all the fast non sponsored riders are on Fox if RS is lighter, cheaper, gives you better access to spare parts and actually from 2010 isn't as fragile as some internet fanbois make it to be.

btw. I must be doing something wrong but I this year I have been on 3 long trips in very demanding resorts. In all cases my bike was the only one that didn't experiance any issues. 2 weeks in morzine, on the worst days riding 60km/day and being generally really tired so riding lazy should kill my crappy sram rival/x.o, my crappy sram fork. Maybe French Canadian Sram gear is made from cheese.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmm, I thought keronite was the black ano'd uppers that all the race guys were using. weird.

either way, I don't know if i'll be back on an RS fork anytime soon. My first boxxer was ok until all the oil leaked out. My 2010 was never good. My 2011 was good but it made a wheezey noise and still didn't perform as well as neither the 08 nor any other forks i've owned or ridden. My Reba on my XC bike is toast as well, all the adjustments do nothing. The stroke is smooth but who cares if there's no damping! I think I might check out a white brothers soon...supposedly their loop is a very decent fork....and everybody else makes their chit in china now, so it all sucks.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
hmm, I thought keronite was the black ano'd uppers that all the race guys were using. weird.

either way, I don't know if i'll be back on an RS fork anytime soon. My first boxxer was ok until all the oil leaked out. My 2010 was never good. My 2011 was good but it made a wheezey noise and still didn't perform as well as neither the 08 nor any other forks i've owned or ridden. My Reba on my XC bike is toast as well, all the adjustments do nothing. The stroke is smooth but who cares if there's no damping! I think I might check out a white brothers soon...supposedly their loop is a very decent fork....and everybody else makes their chit in china now, so it all sucks.
That was DLC.

As for 2010 boxxers - with some effort they performed very nicely.