Quantcast

Boxxer with U-turn for '05

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
At least some models of 2005 Boxxers will be equipped with U-Turn allowing the fork to be dialed down to 5.25" and all the way up to 7". I have been asking for that for years! That will be an awesome feature for freeriding. I am excited to see the whole RS line in real life for '05. THe new Boxxers look beefy as do the Pike and Reba. I rode a Pike at Sea Otter and it was pretty nice.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Matt D
Too bad it's still a Rock Shox product;)
The bike suspension market goes through phases just like anything else. A few years ago everybody hated Manitou, now they love 'em. Also a few years ago everybody loved Marzocchi, but now they are not the favorite. before all that RS was #1 and after a few bad years I think they are poised for a strong comeback. Basically I think '05 will be a great year for MTB suspension products, every brand has some really promising new models. It is nice to have choice at least.

Originally posted by punkassean
The bike suspension market goes through phases just like anything else. A few years ago everybody hated Manitou, now they love 'em. Also a few years ago everybody loved Marzocchi, but now they are not the favorite....
and those who remain loyal are rewarded with years of worry free riding. f*ck the poser marzocchi people, M for life!!!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I hope RS does turn their line around from the past few years. I've seen too many played out Psylos and blown up Boxxers!

I hear what you're saying about products going through phases. I know a lot of guys who swore Manitou-never-again with all the cracking/leaking things they had going on a couple years ago. Now there are too many good forks/shocks to choose from!

I'm still tentatative to buy RS products. I'd like to wait and give them some time to proove themselves.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
what really matters is what is INSIDE the boxxer, rather than what they look like....hopefully the insides are vastly different.

RS doesn't need more gimmicks(although they buy into gimmicks heavily), they need good damping first.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by nicklin
f*ck the poser marzocchi people, M for life!!!

Yeah!!!

Stuff!!!

If that reduced travel thingy works as well as it does on the psylo, you'd pretty much have a locked out fork. If it works better though (like a functioning ETA before it breaks) I'd definitely be interested in one for me freeride bike.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Love to see the U-turn on the Boxxer...That's pretty much the only complaint I have about my '03 Boxxer Race; it bobs like a White House intern when you're hammering up an incline...As for what's 'inside', mine has been trouble free from day one and feels pimped out '74 Cadillac plush now that I changed the oil...Simple fork to maintain, and pretty light all things considered...Race it DH and occasionally hit pretty big drops to flat with no complaints...Plus, the rebound damping actually works which is more than I can say for my buddies' Jr. T and my '03 Z-1 (total crap adjustments on both)...

Cheers to Sram...
(Also agree with Sean on the cyclic nature of suspension component companies)

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by Jm_
what really matters is what is INSIDE the boxxer, rather than what they look like....hopefully the insides are vastly different.

RS doesn't need more gimmicks(although they buy into gimmicks heavily), they need good damping first.
GIVE IT A REST Jm_

we already decided you can't comment on RS related posts....

You're like a broken record.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
its going to be soooo cool, i heard it's going to have U-turn and new shiny paint, new shiny paint and u-turn will definitly make it an awesome performing fork, I can't wait to see how these make it the best fork ever. Supposedly you don't even need the 1970s internals anymore because an external knob will control everything from the rockshox headquarters in thailand...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Damn, were already looking at 2005? Remember when it was 2000?

That was almost 5 years ago? What have I done with my life???!!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by Jm_
its going to be soooo cool, i heard it's going to have U-turn and new shiny paint, new shiny paint and u-turn will definitly make it an awesome performing fork, I can't wait to see how these make it the best fork ever. Supposedly you don't even need the 1970s internals anymore because an external knob will control everything from the rockshox headquarters in thailand...
:rolleyes:

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by Craw
Damn, were already looking at 2005? Remember when it was 2000?

That was almost 5 years ago? What have I done with my life???!!
As the locals say, "Werd".

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
You ever seen the "Player haters ball" on Chappelle Show? Well Jm_ could put together his own little ball....the rockshox haters ball. He gets my vote for the most diabolical rockshox hater....ever.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by neversummersnow
You ever seen the "Player haters ball" on Chappelle Show? Well Jm_ could put together his own little ball....the rockshox haters ball. He gets my vote for the most diabolical rockshox hater....ever.
I think he sat on a ti-nitride stantion a while back. He's angry at the false claims of a smooth slippery surface because he obviously can't get it out. Understandibly, he feels contempt.

Then again, after watching about 5 friends of mine on (read: kicking and screaming at) 03 team and world cup forks all last year, I can almost understand it.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by kidwoo
I think he sat on a ti-nitride stantion a while back. He's angry at the false claims of a smooth slippery surface because he obviously can't get it out. Understandibly, he feels contempt.

Then again, after watching about 5 friends of mine on (read: kicking and screaming at) 03 team and world cup forks all last year, I can almost understand it.

I've never ridden a boxxer so I can't comment on its performance but I do know that a lot of people with that fork were carrying rags with them at N* in order to wipe off all the leaking oil.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Acadian
a lot...name 3 :rolleyes:
Luc for one ;)

I'm not bagging on the fork, like I said I've never ridden one so I can't comment on its performance but you can't deny the fact that there were quite a few boxxers leaking at N*. I've seen plenty in the two years I've been going there which is the reason I decided to go with the Shiver.

This is not a flame at the Boxxer, for all I know it could be the best performing fork in the world but I wanted a low maintenance fork so that's the reason I went with the shiver.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
once the 2005 is available maybe...

I got a nice 2000 yellow one at home if you want it ;)

Just like you love your WB, like Carlos likes his Shiver, like Brian doesn't know what he wants...I like my Boxxer!!
Actually if I get some deemax wheels, I could have a chicken colored scheme again.......just like when I had my yellow armageddon........(the "bumpy chicken").

I loved my WB BEFORE Ecko touched it. I'm having to rehabilitate it but it's coming around.;)

Actually boxxers "should" be the perfect fork. They steer well without twisting, they're almost as stiff as a 32mm inverted fork in straight on hits and mostly.......they are light as hell. But you know last year sucked for those things in every other way.

Call or email me with what you'd want for your ole yeller. I remember 2000 being a tolerable year that can be made to feel real nice.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
to this day...my yeller is one of the best feeling Boxxer I've felt! Very light because of the Taper wall and extremely plush!! Love that fork, reason why I never sold it and kept it as a backup!!
Funny how folks have been working so hard to get the new ones to feel like the old ones. I will be buying one this summer (probably Zeke's) Think about it.