Quantcast

Boxxer woes

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

Recently got a 99 Boxxer with 6" travel for my 13 year old son for his 99 Stab Dee Lux.

After only 10 hrs or so of riding the fork starts to freeze up and travel becomes very resistive, after opening the fork I noticed an enormous amount of metal filings in the oil is this normal.

I have changed the oil three times in the last month and it's always looking the same, can't even see through it, that's how full of metal particles it gets.

Is this normal what's going on here, at this rate the fork is going to wer out from the inside out in a hurry.

Time to get him a Dorado maybe ?

Frenchy

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
North Georgia
Was this a used fork? Sounds suspicious. The Boxxer is not the best fork out there but it is one of the easiest to service and reliable. Anyway, is there any scaring going on. like on the outside of the upper tubes? It could be something in the lower casting rubbing. I would also recommend checking the springs, if someone forced a set of oversize springs in the fork it with be scraping up the inside of the upper legs causing lots of wear.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

Yeah, I got it used . No marks on the the outside of the upper tubes so must be coming from the lower casting somewhere.

Springs appera to be regular Boxxer springs, I don't think they were different in the 6" travel 99 version.

In any case I got a good price on a Dorado and got that for my son.

Anybody want a Boxxer real cheap?

Regards,