Quantcast

Boxxer world cup (06) VS 888 RC2X

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
well i am having a hard time deciding between these two forks the boxxer i can get for a good price, and the 888 i can get for 200 dollars or even less then what i would have to pay for the boxxer. i am looking for a fork that will last and is for trail riding and racing, it will be going on my stinky deelux that right now has a dhx air, and a supert. thanks a lot i just can't make up my mind on what fork to get. all i know is that the boxxer last year has had problems, and this years has been tested since 2000 by the blackbox crue and also that the 888 seems to always be the most problem free fork year after year.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
On one end i like the feel of marzocchis and how they are no pain involved forks.

On the other i am lusting after a new boxxer bad and a air/air setup would be money.

My vote if you can throw the cash out is the boxxer.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
It's really inappropriate and immature to list prices that you can get from EP deals or from sponsors. I'd edit your post ASAP.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
hmm I would rather have the boxxer but the price makes the 888 rather tasty. this is all speculation of course

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
dexterq20 said:
It's really inappropriate and immature to list prices that you can get from EP deals or from sponsors. I'd edit your post ASAP.
Good point, ,,,,however,
I'm not sure about the rs but, the 06 888 is all over ebay brand new for about 900 to a g. Granted that isn't a speedy delivery and does create issues with other stuff buying that way.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
MOTODH said:
hmm I would rather have the boxxer but the price makes the 888 rather tasty. this is all speculation of course
this is why i had the price's listed

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
^^^ see that is a positive as well weight loss. Right now my stinky is around 41pounds and i want to get it down to about 40 or less.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
alright so does anyone hve any pros and cons for these forks to aid in my choice of what to buy?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Both are great forks. My suggestion would be to get the 888rc2x custom and custom tune it to. The boxxer is going to be a super sweet fork but there are some considerations you need to think of. A. 1st yr product
b. possible unkown defects (ala pike)
c. Marz's great service record.

i love my pike and would tell everyone to buy one if i could. But marz just overall has a better cs and quality record.

Also i owned a 888 and it rocked!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
alright well i need some last minut recomendations i am about to buy a new fork and it is going to be one of these.
here are my pros for each:

Boxxer: lighter, race fork, shorter, air, however possible falty and could have problems

888: possibly better service, stronger, heavier, taller, spring, external adjustments

so i was wondering if you guys were in the same position as me what would you choose

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
please keep in mind that i do trail riding here in sb and i am not sure about the boxxer holding up to it, i don't want it being blown half way down the trail, however i heard that the chance in this is small

Nov 15, 2005
Go for the boxxer! It's gunna be a sick fork for this year, and keep in mind that the pros have been shredding on the fork so I dont see a problem with it holding up. If ur gunna be doing trail riding wouldn't u want a lighter fork to pedal around?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
true however the trails here are rocky, and i heard these froks get punctured easly

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i really need input on this, i have noticed there are a good amount of people on here who have tried these forks, so keep it coming

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
If there are any problems that come up with the Boxxer RS/Sram will replace it. The boxxer is about 2 lbs lighter and you don't have to worry about replacing springs. The new 06 boxxer has been tested longer than most of the forks on the market. If there were any problems they would have been corrected before the production model.

If you can afford the Boxxer it would be an awesome choice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
The boxxer is about 2 lbs lighter and
The boxxer does not weigh 5-5.5lbs.

The stem is included in the 888 weight that is ~8lbs, the weight w/o is around 7.3-7.5lbs.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get a Boxxer Team, it'll save you money and it's a compromise between the 888 and the WC. It's coil but it has all the adjustments of the WC.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Bicyclist said:
Get a Boxxer Team, it'll save you money and it's a compromise between the 888 and the WC. It's coil but it has all the adjustments of the WC.
I don't get why this kid wont just do this. Either way I would just get the boxxer.

D

DHmtber

get ther boxxer world cup it has been with the black box team for what 5 years now.

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
As far as a pure Racing fork. You can't beat the Boxxer. That fork Is the best Race fork on the market, Just look at what the Pro's ride.
The Marz on the other hand is going to give you a much better feel on the trails and stunts, and just about as much fun on the downhills.

I don't think you will have a problem with service issues with either company SRAM takes care of their customers and so does Marzochi.

What ever you get HAVE FUN!!!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Jm_ said:
The boxxer does not weigh 5-5.5lbs.

The stem is included in the 888 weight that is ~8lbs, the weight w/o is around 7.3-7.5lbs.
The Marzocchi's are also weighed w/o the steerer tube. I figure with the integrated stem and the steerer it weighs about 8.1 pounds (marzocchi lists the steerer as 255 grams (and I am basing the weight of the fork and integrated stem off of the numbers you gave)).

The boxxer is 6.1 pounds with steerer tube. And an integrated boxxer stem is around 175+ grams. So a boxxer with an integrated stem would be more like 6.5 pounds give or take.

So you are still saving about 1.5 pounds with the boxxer.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
The boxxer is a better choice for racing, however the 888 is suited better for all other types of riding.

To me, it would depend how much time is going to be spent racing, compard to FR'ing and pedaling it around.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
it looks like i am getting the boxxer i will right up on it once i get it, plus pictures

Nov 9, 2005
i just checked the internet and the 40 weighs 6.8 pounds and teh wc 6.1 so i just thought i would throw that out there and then the 888 weighs 7.5 pounds

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
how wierd do you think this thing is going to look on my 04 stinky dee (boxxer wc)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
unless you are doing alot of racing the 40 and rs wc are a waste of money. The 888 needs really low maintenence and takes a beating, pus that nice Marzocchi plushness. I also have never been a fan of the feel or air anything, be it shock or fork. Plus boxxers are know for being high maintence.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
quickneonrt said:
unless you are doing alot of racing the 40 and rs wc are a waste of money. The 888 needs really low maintenence and takes a beating, pus that nice Marzocchi plushness. I also have never been a fan of the feel or air anything, be it shock or fork. Plus boxxers are know for being high maintence.
Then you have definatly not felt this fork. Blows everything I have ever ridden totally out of the water. I really don't get the argument about boxxers for racing only. Also boxxers are no longer a bitch to maintain.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
quickneonrt said:
Agreed. For general riding the 888 or the Boxxer Team would be my choice. It's a waste of money to buy a 40 or a Boxxer WC, although they're cool. I wouldn't ride any of Manitou's offerings either.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
^^^true, but i don't really ride extremley hard, and im in my lbs like everyday