Quantcast

Boxxer

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
I need a company to work on my boxxer-the last fork i tried i kinda messed it up, so im leaving this one to the pros. It's an 03 Team, so it needs the drilling. Also, i think the oil is off, and there is a rattling coming from the spring side. Ive tried contacting push and they dont respond, romic says they dont bother with it anymore. What is the cheapest most reliable place i can send it to? and dont start with the " you should have bought a marz" junk

Dunshee80

Chimp
Aug 16, 2004
i didn't think push did forks yet? Anyway, from what i've heard Angryasian can do some impressive things with forks. i'd go that route. or, maybe consider a mojo upgrade? anyone know what the cost is on those?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you can do it yourself, there are just a few things that need to be done to an 03 for in order to make it behave like an 04, if you want to i can list them , just dont want to type all that in vain so let me know.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Didn't RS also give away the new base valve for a free upgrade through your local shops?

I wish we had TF Tuned here in the US he does a great job tuning RS. Acadian what do you know about the Hippies?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know several people who have gotten them free for their 03 forks by RS (Warning - Especulations) maybe they just not selling and they had a lot of them in stock or maybe RS is just a good company that support their customers - who knows.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
when i said spring side, i ment the right side? i thought that one had the springs? and its rattling near the top.
Hey vitox, you think you could actually give me those instructions? thanks alot.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Transcend said:
As far as I know, here in Canadia they were offerring it free for a short time if you asked nicely, then started to charge.
Since were talking Boxxers here, are you still using those Enduro seals? or anyone else have some long term reviews they would care to share?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ssaddict said:
Since were talking Boxxers here, are you still using those Enduro seals? or anyone else have some long term reviews they would care to share?
Not enough riding to say yet either way, the cold, wet nasty weather got here in a hurry this year.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Acadian said:
I never had the opportunity to deal with them - all I know is that they recently became official RockShox service and warranty center?

have you had bad experience with them?
Well I bought my Boxxer Team off of Supa8 at the beginning of this year. He ended up using the fork only a handful of times before he got a Dorado and decided to send it to Hippie to have it rebuilt. So when I bought the fork he told me that Hippie said that they rebuilt it, did all the BlackBox upgrades, as well as some other tinkering since the guy used to work at RockShox and new some things.

Well after messing up the fork after a day of riding later this year and opening it up, I was surprised to see that there was no new base valve assembly in it, the compression drilling was actually a hair smaller than what is recommended to be the minimum by Rock Shox, and nothing else done. So what they ended up doing was hold the fork from Supa8 for weeks, probably do a basic rebuild, drill out the compression refill (which is very simple and not time consuming)hole the incorrect diameter, and likely replace some bottom out bumbers since the fork was sent in because after a race, it was only using a few inches of travel which is common with the boxxer when the bottom out bumper tears and gets sucked into the stanchions. All this cost him I think somewhere around the ballpark of $240.

Thankfully, SRAM was ultracool and hooked me up with everything I needed under warranty, and after I got through with fixing the fork it was about 20 times better than before.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sama1ter said:
when i said spring side, i ment the right side? i thought that one had the springs? and its rattling near the top.
Hey vitox, you think you could actually give me those instructions? thanks alot.

yea sure

my digicam is not working right now but ill try getting the message through anyway

first thing you want to do is to drill the compression cartridge to improve oil refresh, this has been explained in other threads lots of times.

second thing would be to replace the rebound base valve with an 04 unit (its got a red aluminum valve core instead of a plastic yellow one)

third, you want to improve oil flow again by modding the piece that attaches the bottom of the spring to the cartridge.

first remove the springs and oil and then you will see a white plastic piece that connects the bottom of the spring.

take both these out

the bottom end of these pieces is cylinder shaped, about 10mm high or so, the newer ones are black and are exactly the same but have a cutout, about 60º of the bottom part are cut out, sort of a "C" shape, removing this material will allow more oil to flow and faster once it has passed the valve where all the oil constriction is supposed to happen.

that would be about all i know about in order to make the 03`s work better.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
sama1ter said:
I need a company to work on my boxxer-the last fork i tried i kinda messed it up, so im leaving this one to the pros. It's an 03 Team, so it needs the drilling. Also, i think the oil is off, and there is a rattling coming from the spring side. Ive tried contacting push and they dont respond, romic says they dont bother with it anymore. What is the cheapest most reliable place i can send it to? and dont start with the " you should have bought a marz" junk
Call Push, or the Bike Company.