Quantcast

Boycott N* races

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
dhtahoe said:
The timing WILL be wrong and until they get it right I don't think we should give them any more money. No point in racing for a false time.
Man, it's getting pretty bad up there. Is the race course built on a burial ground and cursed or something?? At the first race I thought it was just a first of the year timing fluke f-up, what ever. I know I got atleast 30 sec added to my second run, what ever, I got over it, they took off the 30 sec, so I was only a little confused. Then, I missed it, but my friend did the TBB race and they f-ed it up even worse. Moving him from sport to ex (what the f' its only a totally different course, right?!?), then they moved him back in to his correct class but gave him a time of 6:50 down the sp. course....6 f'n 50!?!?!!!? Not even a so. cal' er with a flat tire would take that long!! ;) They eventually sorta corrected his time, but it sucks that for the money, he'll never know how he really did. This is pretty much my 2nd year racing, so I never got why people were always b!tching about the event promoters and timing. Now it's all becoming crystal clear...

I'm going up this weekend, be there Friday, and will probably find myself racing on Sunday. But DHTahoe, I'm starting to agree with you...It's getting real old, real quick.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
kidwoo said:
Count me in.

Maybe they'll quit having races now and I can ride there without having runs closed.
Me tooo.
My biggest pet peeve about N* is they close so many trails for races.
Why not build a race trail or 2 that does not interfere with the rest of the upper mountain.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Are all of them crummy? I wanted to race for fun this coming weekend.. I don't really care how I place, but I don't have that much desire to participate in something that isn't really well organized. I've only been to a couple races, and they definitely had their stuff down at GGG :confused:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DLo said:
Are all of them crummy? I wanted to race for fun this coming weekend.. I don't really care how I place, but I don't have that much desire to participate in something that isn't really well organized. I've only been to a couple races, and they definitely had their stuff down at GGG :confused:
why pay someone to time you when you can do it yourself?

I don't mind racing GGG because a lot of work and effort goes into making the course. Plus I don’t get to ride there all summer. Just the practice alone (shuttles) is worth the price of admission alone. At N* you have you pay for your entry free AND lift ticket don’t you?

my $0.02

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Acadian said:
why pay someone to time you when you can do it yourself?

I don't mind racing GGG because a lot of work and effort goes into making the course. Plus I don’t get to ride there all summer. Just the practice alone (shuttles) is worth the price of admission alone. At N* you have you pay for your entry free AND lift ticket don’t you?

my $0.02
I have no idea on the fees. I'd just like to have some fun with my buddies who do race. I've only raced a couple times, and I don't have a NORBA license anyway. Are these a rip?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I somehow manage to have a damn good time at all these crappy races... With all you people not racing, maybe I won't have to wait so long at the top... Thanks! :think: :thumb:

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I honestly don't care that much about the timing. I like the races. I just wish they'd change the course once in a while.

I don't doubt that Northstar could do a lot of things better, but it's definitely a very good thing to have a lift served mtb park in the area that doesn't totally suck. And it's cool to have some local races. For that reason, f- timing or not, I remain a loyal Northstar fan.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
I never had any real problems with the timing at Northstar until this weekend. After both runs were completed, I looked at the times posted on the little house at the end of the course, and I was sitting in third. After doing a few fun runs (boondocks...f**k'n sweet) I came back to get my medal. Only to find out they had adjusted everyone's times but mine, and I slipped to fifth. Oh well, next time I will just have to go faster...I guess.

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Let me guess... They subtracted 30 seconds off of everyone's 2nd run?

It's funny how the fast time on the beg/sport course was, what, oh about 45 seconds faster than the fast time for the Team Big Bear race, on the exact same course. The Team Big Bear race had the finish just a little bit further, but there's no way it took me 50 or 60 seconds to get from the stadium jump to the finish line. It's true what dhtahoe says, their timing is jacked. I still like racing though, timing be damned, but I didn't race this weekend.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
considering there's no pro contracts/media coverage/major awards or anything else riding on these races i don;t mind the timing problems and such all that much. sure i paid my cash and would like to see things improved/handled better but i'm more than happy to just have some "local" dh races to participate in. besides i'm really just there to have fun riding/racing with everyone and have a couple laughs riding bikes.

i also had a chance to talk with one of the guys running the race and it sounds like even they feel the same way. looks like eveything we'd like to see happen they'd love to do....new trails, better races, etc. but it really comes down to cash and if you saw the size of the lift line on sat you'd know there's not a ton coming in form mountain biking. but it's not just N* cash but the other resorts that are owned by the company as well. N* had a fantastic winter but one of their other resorts tanked. so guess where a lot of the budget went for this summer. there's a lot more to what's going on up there and it sounds like everyone all the way to the top would like to see it as a first class mountain bike destination. but cash rules everything that happens and until we start seeing the lift lines filled up the company isn't going to drop a ton of cash into it.
ok i'm done ranting, boredom at work will do that to you.
OT-i should have the series points updated soon.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
ricebowls said:
but cash rules everything that happens
Very true...one of my concerns is that owners of the new super expensive condos are going to complain about having "rowdy" Mt bikers around bugging them. You know who'd win that battle, I don't think N* would hesitate to drop Mt. biking in order to keep the condo owners happy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Joe Pozer said:
Very true...one of my concerns is that owners of the new super expensive condos are going to complain about having "rowdy" Mt bikers around bugging them. You know who'd win that battle, I don't think N* would hesitate to drop Mt. biking in order to keep the condo owners happy.

In my experience the condo complexes are basically empty in summer, so I'm not sure that's really a problem.

As for filling the lift lines, it's kind of a "chicken or the egg" thing isn't it? They will step up if more people come, or maybe more people will come if they step up - who knows? Plus, lift tickets should be only the start, but right now there is no place to buy lunch or chill with a few beers when the riding is done. I know a lot of people that would spend more money up there if they could, but they don't seem to want our money. Seems purposefully self-defeating.

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Although I hesitate to say never, if they're smart, they would never do that. Mountain biking is part of the portfolio of activities they offer, making them a year round destination resort. Not counting Whistler, they have probably the best bike park on the west coast (there's not that many of them), and although DH/FR is still sort of a niche market, it's definitely growing. On the other hand, I agree we should appreciate what we've got, because it's pretty good, and it could definitely be a lot worse. But on the other other hand, how hard can it be to get the timing right? Maybe it's not just money, maybe it's incompetence as has been alleged. Whatever. I'll put up with it and do the races for the same reasons you mentioned. And as long as they f- up everyone's time the same way, eh, I guess it doesn't matter... just something to bitch about.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
The thing is, I was there last weekend on Saturday, and every bike in the rental fleet was out for the whole day. This alone equals out to about $5000 just for that day in rentals and tickets. When you add to that people like 99% of this board who own their own bikes, I think they had about a $7000 Saturday. While this is NOTHING in comparison to winter money (when lift tickets are over $50 and on any given weekend they sell the place out) its nothing for them to sneeze at either.

I think this is sort of endemic of the entire lift driven/freeride/dh playground industry. Mammoth, Snow Summit, and a few places in Texas sort of have this wait and see attitude about spending dollar one. Guess its the nature of the business. The only places I've ridden that seem to get the idea are Whistler and Snowshoe, WV. But they have major events, are world famous, and just kick ass in the general sense.

I also think that its 80% who runs the place. This "Hollywood" cat sounds, walks, talks and acts like a dildo, so maybe that's what he is. Someone should apply for next season to take his job, make things right.

I doubt highly they will do away with riding there. Its been around for over ten years for one, even through some very litigeous times. Also, its a good place for the rich daddy's to drop their kids on rented Blur 4x's and V10's for the day while they go bash the little white ball, bang the trophy wife in the tall pines, and drink scotch until they go blind. You can only do one of those things with JR around, so I suspect they'll keep it just to keep the golfer's happy.

DHinFool

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
The whole point of racing is to get your time, try and improve on that time, and beat your competitor’s times. North* is going on its 3rd season of not being able to get the timing right. Which if you are paying to race and waiting around for hours to race is a joke.

I am not racing north* again until I hear the timing problems have been fixed. I just don't see the point. I can ride and hang out with my friends without paying to race.

Don’t get me wrong I love racing, but if the timing is wrong is it really a race or are you just paying for a group ride?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
in regards to the whole timing deal.... i tried talking to a bunch of people this past sunday about how a bunch of people i was riding with knew their times got messed up and this isn't the first time this year. it seemed like they didn't really want to hear it. i got, "the times announced when you come through the bottom are not your real time and the time we post on the sheets are the real times".
but sometimes you know that it's wrong. like, if i was 40 seconds slower my second run and the person behind me wasn't... wouldn't i have been passed? or would they have been closer to catching me?

i also brought up the point that more people would be in attendance if they hadn't had their times screwed up previously this year and i got "there were a lot of people here today".

so it sounds like nothing is going to change. oh well.