Quantcast

brake adapters

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Shimano brake adapters are fuggin expensive. Anybody have any luck using anything else? I just ordered a boxxer, and I'm running saint brakes with saint 203mm rotors. I don't really care if its mcgyvered, I'm pretty sure I've used avid adapters in the past and had them work just fine. Thoughts?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I used a Hope 8" boxxer adapter with my Saints with no problems. Be sure that if you use Avid adapters that you keep the conical washers with it no matter which brakes you are using.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm kind of curious about that as well, I'm about to order a 35mm boxxer and I've got more hayes/avid boxxer adapters than I can count. Hopefully I don't need to buy even more adapters.
35mm Boxxer uses standard post mount, as opposed to the 32mm boxxer which is, "Boxxer mount".

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
35mm Boxxer uses standard post mount, as opposed to the 32mm boxxer which is, "Boxxer mount".
standard 6" post mount, for whatever reason. You will need another adapter to run 8" disk brakes, or I'm doing it wrong.

I've run Magura disk adapters (louise QM et al, not gustav) with undoubted success for two years. Rear 203/IS, front 203/Boxxer, then front 203/PM standard. They cost like 7 bucks, come with bolts, and already have red loctite on the bolts. What more could you axe for? Maybe longer bolts for the sunday's wicked long IS mount...

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
standard 6" post mount, for whatever reason. You will need another adapter to run 8" disk brakes, or I'm doing it wrong.
Yep. Pretty sure it's only Fox that have the 8" post mount, no? Or have Marzocchi started on that game too?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm running that exact set up (well, it's a Formula rotor) with an Avid adapter, no problems.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think fox does something awful like using 7" PM, so you need a 6-7" adapter (20mm spacing).

Marjokey uses direct post mount, I think.

Why RS doesn't use direct PM is beyond me. Why add weight to the system when you can just cast the posts 40mm higher?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Be sure that if you use Avid adapters that you keep the conical washers with it no matter which brakes you are using.
This is wrong.

You do not need the tri-align washers with other brakes even on Avid adapters. Avid brakes use a higher off-set mounting point to allow for proper spacing with the tri-align washers. Using them with say Hayes or Shimano will lift the caliper above the rotor a fair amount.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is wrong.

You do not need the tri-align washers with other brakes even on Avid adapters. Avid brakes use a higher off-set mounting point to allow for proper spacing with the tri-align washers. Using them with say Hayes or Shimano will lift the caliper above the rotor a fair amount.
This. Like I said, I'm running an Avid adapter on my Saints and do not have any washers.