Quantcast

Brake Conundrum

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I find myself asking another silly question. This isn't your average brake question. I am looking for a brake which doesn't need decent modulation, I just need it to lock up and be able to hold weight. For my IH Porter for things such as stalls and silly kid tricks. I had Hayes but they are all failing on me at the same time. I was thinking Avid Juicy 5's, but never really had good ride time on them. I will be riding my bike alot more seeing as I am now a public school student in Amarillo for the first time.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Price,

I think that the Juicy 5's are a great choice. I like the modulation I get out of them, but I also like the fact that if i pull the lever in, the brakes are like an on/off switch. I can get them to lock up with one finger, no problem.

of all the brakes I have tried, and run, (shimano, Avid, Hayes, Hope) the Avids seamed as good as any, and better than most! they are quality at a great price!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
What is failing on your Hayes? The reason i ask is that Hayes are exactly what you're asking for. Do you have the metal levers and not the plastic, that makes a big difference in performance and longevity. Plus a goodridge hose goes a long way...

i mean if you're going to fork over the cash for a new brake set you may as well look at the option of just upgrading what you have. If that's the problem you might be able to do it for cheaper.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
how exactly is high school supposed to "do anything for you?"
this is how it works N 8 ... you go to school to prep you for the next step in life. For some that is college, others trade school, or for some just to prep for a job! If the private school wasn't helping him attain anything more than a public school could, then he was spending a ton of money for nothing!

but I think that the private school's name alone on the diploma would have opened some doors, more than a public school's would!

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
what rotor size are you running on the hayes? i would try 8" rotors, if you haven't already, before you spend any money on new brakes

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
For on/off disc braking, try Magura Gustav's or Avid Codes. I have no direct experience with either one of these, but I have heard from folks that they both have serious lockup power.