Quantcast

Brake decision?

Nov 9, 2005
Should i consider upgrading my hayes mags with different pads,lines, and levers, or look into another brake system?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I hate my Juicys. I want to try Formulas because the thing I don't like about the Avids is the lever shape. Formulas have a nice lever and the same technology as Juicys.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Bicyclist said:
I hate my Juicys. I want to try Formulas because the thing I don't like about the Avids is the lever shape. Formulas have a nice lever and the same technology as Juicys.
Personal pref I suppose. I would like some shorter gripped levers... I like the modulation, and smoothness of the pull on the juicy lever.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah. If the pivot wasn't so close to the bar and the lever wasn't so long and flat I'd love Juicys. My hands cramp with them a lot because of the lever though. Personal pref thing.

Nov 9, 2005
i would go either saints, m4's, or juicy carbons. All around the same price, all around the same weight. Has anyone else tried upgrading their mags and what were your reactions, because many people race with mags so they must not be bad, i have only had the rear brake fail once but that was a brake line issue.

Nov 9, 2005
when i rode them they had tons of power which is good, i liked that. I have just never ridden juicys or m4's to compare them too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wouldn't touch Hope. Very grabby and very hard to work on. They have lots of different reviews so they may work different for you.

Saints have awesome modulation because the power is at the end of the stroke, as opposed to being grabby at the beginning. Sweet brakes if you ask me.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
mags are fine. as are nines. as are avids. as are hopes. they all work great if you take care of them. keep your rotors and pads clean. bleed your brakes when they need it, and you will be fine. there's really to dump money into new brakes unless there's something drastically wrong with your mags or you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I absolutley hate my juicys too, they were nice when they were new, but they have just exponentially **** the bed with each passing second. avid's completely assinine caliper positioning washers make the brake a bitch to work on and take off. Hayes also crapped out on me after a season, but they lasted a little bit longer. I think im going to try formula, or hope.

Modulation is over rated, if you want less power, squeeze less brake. The lighter you can pull on the lever, the easier it is.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Saint or Avids are the way too go.formula are really good when working but have lots of little parts and are a pain to fix.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
SBDownhillRacer said:
i would go either saints, m4's, or juicy carbons. All around the same price, all around the same weight. Has anyone else tried upgrading their mags and what were your reactions, because many people race with mags so they must not be bad, i have only had the rear brake fail once but that was a brake line issue.
i had a few years on mags in the past,

tried the Juicys really liked them, my new bike came with Saints another awsome brake.

If i could compare the 2, Saints appear to have a bit more power and less lever travel. They have good modulation you just have to be more precise then with the Juicys where you can modulate the brake better.

Both great sets of brakes are better then the Mags in every way, but mags are still a decent reliable brake set.

I think in the end youll be happy with either Juicys or Saints youll get used to either one. Both get my ratin of approval

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bicyclist said:
I wouldn't touch Hope. Very grabby and very hard to work on.
Hope are VERY easy to work on. If you think they are hard to service, you really don't know sh*t. They aren't grabby, Juicy's are WAY grabbier than Hope. Please ride/work on some before you make comments about them.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
have you ever bled Hope's???

easiest brakes to bleed. the lever pump method is how you bleed your car/truck disc brakes.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
SBDownhillRacer said:
so if i got hope m4's what would i do to get more power out of them? Pads and Hoses? Is that it?
haven't found much of a difference in the kevlar hose vs the goodridge for feel. sure you could go to the stickier brake pad, but then they wouldn't last as long. i've noticed its just the way you bleed them. sure they're easy to bleed. just do it a couple times and see what i mean. sometimes a fresh bleed on new brakes can make them feel better.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Avid BB7 disc brakes work well enough for me. I notice they aren't quite as powerful as they could be but I only notice it after long steep rides. It could just be that I need new pads or maybe it's my setup, I usually run the lever into my ring and pinky fingers before I achieve full death grip.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
SBDownhillRacer said:
i herd that gustavs have a lot of problems

The older designs had some problems, but the newer ones are spot on. The lever are a tad large for some people, and they have massive power, probably to much for some peoples liking. The Louise FR are really nice. Good lever feel and power if you think the Gustavs are alittle much, they feel more like a hayes, avid type lever. If you like the on/off feel on brakes the Maguras probably aren't for you as they have the opposite feel to that. I've had pretty good luck with them. I used the orginal Gustavs back in the day, they made the switch over to hayes for a while, then switched back to maguras this season.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so if all you're use too is Hope M4's and you think they are no good. all these other brakes are just gonna feel worse

;)

plus the M4s are by far the strongest brake i've felt. other then my Mono 6 Ti's. and sure when i first got them, they didn't feel that good. then i re-bled with 5.1 and they feel magical.
:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Brian HCM#1 said:
Please ride/work on some before you make comments about them.
Right. I've ridden about 3 sets and all were different. One was grabby and it howled. Another hardly did anything in terms of power. Another was again squeaky but it had a decent amount of power. I just wouldn't trust a product with so many different reviews/levels of performance. Go ahead, keep riding Hopes, but I don't like 'em. To each his own. Well, maybe to you everything is just "buy Hope" all the time. :nopity:

Nov 9, 2005
the m4's i rode didnt make a whole lot of noise, but i have herd m6s' make a loud squeak. anyone kno why hopes tend to be loud brakes.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i ridden most brakes... recently went from hope 6s to J7s... been a hope man for about 8 - 9 years... the 6s were nice but for L O N G, extended dh stuff they didn t quite cut it... think france - les gets / morzine top to bottom, repeated runs... swapped over half way through the day to the old dh04 / e4 with goodridge lines and i didn t have another problem... toward the bottom my 6s would fade and begin to howl... they were set up correctly - faced mounts etc... i still think the old hope DH04 / E4 with the pro level is the best brake out there period..

i ve only had 1 or 2 rides on the j7 but so far i m liking them very much..

oh, and there is no way hopes are hard to work on or grabby :confused:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Any brake will make noise (or will have the dendancy to) when mounted on a poorly aligned mount. Multi piston brakes will be worse because of the length of the pad. Brake mounting bosses should be faced like a bottom bracket or head tube for best results (on most frames, the bosses are covered with paint..bad!) My m4's and m'6s will make a little noise for about 30 seconds when they are both wet and cold. In the dry they are totaly quiet and if they are hot from riding, they are quiet even if wet.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
SBDownhillRacer said:
how do those DH04/E4 brakes compare to the 06 m4's?
dh04 / e4 - two piece caliper, 4 pistons

m4s - one piece caliper, 4 pistons...

i think the lever is the let down of the current generation of hopes... the old 'pro lever' is awesome...

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
he is talking about hte brakes that i own hope 6 ti that i bought of someone from here on RM they are great, they do sqeek way to much and i can't find out why and they don't lock up all the way but they still have power i probably just need new pads and a bleed which im going to get this weekend. should i use 4.1 or 5.1 dot with the brakes?

and if anyone nows a fix for the sqeek please tell, do you think the pads are glazed or the rotor is just dirty? if it is anyone of those how do you fix it?

thank you sorry trev to take you thread in another direction.