Quantcast

Brake Dillema(saint, ace, etc.)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm a bit fed up with my formula k24's. They work fine now (though I've had a season of almost no rear brake) but the lever throw is kinda big and even though with motul dot 5.1 they never overheat they don't give me the easy 1 finger braking I remember from the old days that I used gustav. I'd gladly go back if they were a tad lighter and maybe had a bit more modulation. So I'm looking for something new(at least for the front).
I want something strong, with decent modulation (doesn't have to be amasing, just enough not to lock the brakes all the time) and most importantly without any issues.

For that reason I'm not really eager to drop extra 50% on the new ones as I've seen people have problems with the older ones and my oro were not stellar either.
What I'm looking now is:

New saint - great power, supposedly very nice feel, long lever (always liked those). I prefer to use my brakes with goodridge hoses. Won't they be overkill.

Stroker Ace - heard good things about power but nothing else. Little reviews so I'd be glad I people shed some light on them

Hope v2 - too heavy but if they are much better than the rest I may risk it.

new Hope Tech m4 - heard mixed things about power, good modulation, like the levers.

I'd like to hear opinions about any of the brakes though I'd prefer to know more about the hopes and strokers as saints are pretty well known. Any other reasonable options? I'm rather not going to wait till september for the 2011 Magura Marta FR or the 2011 avid code (unless it will be available like some "next" year sram products mid summer).

Help me monkeys, my brakes make me mad.

PS. Any ideas about soft and large lock on grips? I know renthal will be releasing one but the ruffians work really bad with my hands and I'd like to try something else than my old rogues.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
new saints for brakes

sunline logo lock on thick for grips
Do the sunline grips work with odi bar ends or only the amazingly stupid crap cap that falls 3times/day?

Also - a little review/longer opinion would rock ;)

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Stroker aces are cheap now at pricepoint. I have heard good things about them as well. Saints are very good brakes and I have them on my current dh bike but I think the power thing is over rated. They are not as strong as the Gustav's I have on my back up dh bike.

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
I've been on the 2010 Stroker Ace for about 12 rides now and couldn't be happier with them. Given that its just my own trail that I built and have no resort runs on them yet. Still they are a great addition for my demo 8. I'll be able to give more details once I've got them out on the big mountains (memorial day weekend)Im going to be trying the new Hayes Prime once their available. For grips I say try the new ones from answer.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I would not trust xt's. Did they change recently? 08 model was crap and had no power. Also I don't like mineral oil too much. I trust saints only because I know that none of the friends I know managed to fade them considerably.

I with ya on how annoying sketchy brakes can be.
My 08-09 XT's have been solid on my DH bike. The lever could be a little wider but thats it.
I recently got some Elixers CR's and after rebleeding them are surprised at the bite , power and modulation.
Really good and i'm a shimano brake guy so the Xt's are on the trailbike now.
Have you tried the new Elixers?

dyno

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
I just got the Tech M4's and have them on my 6" trail bike. I've only had one ride on them, but they felt great. Had all the power I need for trail riding and plenty of modulation for 1-finger braking. I used to be a 2-finger braker and this is the first set that really feels comfortable in terms of power/modulation/ergonomics for me to go 1-finger. Having bite point and reach adjust really helps with setting things up for comfort.

I've read them same thing about lack of power and did have some concerns, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I do some DH on the bike. I guess the V2's would be a good option if you're concerned with lack of power.

I'll always look at buying hope first now.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I want to hear more hope reviews.

All my hopes have been amazing,but I've never owned a new moto style ajuster lever pair.And want to hear cause 250 a brake is a sweet price from hope for the new m4.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Odi rogue (get bmx version for length and cut off rubber flange) and as far as brakes Id recomend first would be the ones but since you want to go a different direction of your list I havent ridden the saints but the M4s Id rock in a heart beat or the v2s. My go to brake after having a TON of issues with Hayes was the Hopes then I ran the Formulas and had great luck especially the Ones. If I were to swap up at this point based on what ive used which isnt every brake on the market Id go to the Hope M4s...
Great design and tons of power.

BTW I 1 finger brake on The Ones all day long, great brake....

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I just got the Tech M4's and have them on my 6" trail bike. I've only had one ride on them, but they felt great. Had all the power I need for trail riding and plenty of modulation for 1-finger braking. I used to be a 2-finger braker and this is the first set that really feels comfortable in terms of power/modulation/ergonomics for me to go 1-finger. Having bite point and reach adjust really helps with setting things up for comfort.

I've read them same thing about lack of power and did have some concerns, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I do some DH on the bike. I guess the V2's would be a good option if you're concerned with lack of power.

I'll always look at buying hope first now.
The v2's I tried were very powerfull but felt a bit on off. More than my old gustavs. My friend has the m4s and he claims they are strong but he's hyping since he had 2 rides on them and I've heard from him that it annoys him that he uses 2 fingers and that he could use a v2 in the front.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I've got an older (2008) set of M4's on my trailbike that have been rock solid for 2+ years without any issues at all - longer than most brakes I've owned. Only problem is they have trouble locking my rear wheel with a small-block8. Great feel and reliability, but poor power. If the new Hopes address that issue, they could be a great brake. I love their hubs.

I have been using the new Saints on my DH bike for almost a year. The power took me awhile to get used to (coming off of Elixirs), but once I did, I have been really pleased. I ride a lot of fairly long descents with a lot of braking, and I am a heavy rider (250lbs), and I have not noticed any fading at all. It's the first brake I could say that about, and it's an awesome feeling to not have to worry about whether or not your brakes are going to stop you - especially once you're all tired and fatigued from a long, rough descent.

The only problem I have experienced is that I have had to bleed my rear brake probably five or six times in the last 8-9 months I've owned them. The front was money from the first bleed. I've been a mechanic for 8+ years, and I've set up thousands of brakes (including many shimanos), so I don't think it's user error. I think it's something to do with the stock brake line. Once finals are over and I start working again, I'll replace that brake line and see if the problems go away.

That said, my Elixirs required bleeding every other ride and BURNED through pads. Overall, it seems like Shimanos are probably the best option. Most of my customers (up until Spring 2009 when I quit the bike shop), haven't had many issues at all. Shimano brakes seemed to have lost some of their reliability with the new servo levers, but I still think they're probably the best option, and I will definitely go Shimano again for my next bike.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
so according to the chart, Code's are the weaker of all those brakes?

or did i read it wrong? ive never been good with charts...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ourys are well-loved for bigger handed folks or people who love thick grips. Tons of padding. I have Intense half-waffle half flange moto style ODI lock on grips. I love them. Love love love love love them. I never thought I'd get rid of the blisters so fast. I love them. Great grips. Love em. They're great.

For brakes, get saints. You can be different, you can have the bling or the newest or the sponsored-rider stuff, but the shimano gear just works from Day 1. Not sure what is causing the bleeding problems on the one dude's bike, but it's probably from damage or a bad seal. Mine work great and I'll probably get a few days in before I actually go to bleed them for the year again...just too lazy to bother. They have fantastic modulation, great bite, but they aren't on-off like others. I had gustavs previously and I thought they were terrible- too on off and awful lever feel. I had Hope DH04s, which had great lever feel but no power (and were british, ie leaked every run). I have been super content with saints and so has everyone else who has tried my bike. Flawless for a year and I will probably get some time out of them before I have to change pads or anything this year.

alexhill

Chimp
Apr 19, 2010
Do the sunline grips work with odi bar ends or only the amazingly stupid crap cap that falls 3times/day?

Also - a little review/longer opinion would rock ;)
Just the ones that fall of 3times/day.

I still run them though, with added superglue to hold it onto the grip :)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think I'll get back to my barely alive rouges for the time being and wait for the new renthals but the ourys are tempting. I don't really have big hands but really long fingers and thin hand so for some freakish reason my hands can look like they've been stoned (the bible way, not the cool way) to death after a few rides on thinner grips.

As for the brakes - that chart seems silly. I lean towards saints need to test them one more on someones bike and I'll decide after the test. Still 1 more week till I get paid for the last job.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Norbar:

Don't want this to get lost in the swamp of other reviews but I think it should be an option on the table for you. Been reading your posts about your type of riding and what you want out of a bike (not in a stalkerish way...:p) and I really think you would like the OURY as a grip and the Code 5 as a brake. Here is why...

OURY is a big comfy grip that even a guy like me with average to smaller sized hands loves. For somebody with long fingers, I bet they will blow you away. And they are really comfortable with gloves or without. Some of the waffle style or ruffian grips aren't really comfy without gloves. Plus they are ODI lock-on, which is great.

The Code 5 is a code brake with none of the bleeding/maintenance issues that you hear about with codes in addition to being lighter than normal codes. I have a variation on that brake, the Code 7 Ultimate, which is basically a Code caliper paired with Juicy 7 Ultimate levers (there are other frankenstein creations with similar pairings but you get the idea). Its a light brake with really good power, really deep modulation, and when you hit the panic button, they stop on a dime. I am able to run my levers really close to the bar and it makes one-finger braking very easy. Plus, they are cheaper than Codes.

Just my 2 cents. I know that the brakes aren't a boutique item that will flash like Formulas or Hopes, but I really think you would like them alot and best of all, they will be reliable day in day out. Good luck with the decision!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I will think about it. I wasn't really thinking about codes because of the strange feel they have. Spongy I'd call them. Juicy ultimate + code would be nice if I could get my hands on the ultimate levers though I'm not sure If they are strong enough cosidering I treat trees as another way of stoping and brakes sometimes get in the way ;) Will think it through. Thanks