Quantcast

Brake Fluid

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
So I've heard of people using different brake fluids than recommended. Like a lower weight. Its time to bleed my Elixir CR's and i was wondering what people have been using. No silicone is obvious.... Sram recommends 5.1 or 4. Anyone using anything else or whats recommended.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used 5.1 in my old hopes, but they were useless so it doesn't matter. I'd stick with a fresh bleed of Dot 4 yearly, or spend oodles of money on ATE super blue or Motul 600 high boiling point Dot 4.

I would presume that semi-annual bleeds with Dot 4 would be better than yearly bleeds with higher quality fluid, since the system has such low fluid capacity.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I used 5.1 in my old hopes, but they were useless so it doesn't matter. I'd stick with a fresh bleed of Dot 4 yearly, or spend oodles of money on ATE super blue or Motul 600 high boiling point Dot 4.

I would presume that semi-annual bleeds with Dot 4 would be better than yearly bleeds with higher quality fluid, since the system has such low fluid capacity.
Right on. DOT 4 it is.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you find your brakes are overheating regularly though, you may want to try one of the more better fluids. I used ATE super blue in my audi S6, which is Dot4 only, as the brake system was inferior for the size of the car.

If you find your brakes are powerful and resistant to overheating just fine, I'd stick with an off-the-shelf Dot 4 and change it midway through the season. I think Valvoline fluid has the highest boiling point of any off-the-shelf fluid, but switching to motul will give you another 150 degrees or so....but you'll pay for it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
X2 the 600 works great as well. Bit pricey but I was cooking rear brakes this last summer on some stupid steep runs and cooking off the fluid . I had to completely bleed brakes 2 times in a row and upped the rotor still faded bad. Slapped the mogul in and worked great.

Chridi

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
Whether DOT 4 or 5.1 it's more critical to change it on a regular basis. Just as Sandwich said.
Though I'm fine rebleeding once a year just before the lift accessed riding starts cause that is the time my brakes get hot. Not so in the off-season.

And personally I buy the smallest amount of fluid I can find (which usually is 250ml of any DOT5.1) because I don't use it up within 2 years anyway. And I doubt it is as good as new after that time. So I better get a fresh canister by the time needed.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I just bleed them with DOT 4. They feel great for the time being. Going out to hit some runs tomorrow so we'll see how they feel after a day of abuse. I must say its hard to find pure DOT 4. I had to get the Valvoline 3&4 DOT.

The Motul fluid sounds interesting. I may check it out if the DOT 4 doesn't cut it. But the Valvoline fluid said boiling point was 311 degrees i think. So that seems fairly decent.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Unless you're riding in the Alps or something, off the shelf DOT4 is fine. I think avid just have quality issues (seals etc) and thus bleeds end up airy and dirty far sooner than other brakes, thus they need regular bleeding - which might make people question fluids. Unfortunately it's just the brake, so personally I'd just use an affordable fluid and do it as often as needed.

DOT5.1 has a slightly lower viscosity (for ABS systems in cars), any benefits in a bicycle brake would be negligible. Likewise, "Super" DOT4 fluids such as RBF600 have higher boiling points, which I doubt many people outside of alpine regions would see a benefit to either.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Unless you're riding in the Alps or something, off the shelf DOT4 is fine. I think avid just have quality issues (seals etc) and thus bleeds end up airy and dirty far sooner than other brakes, thus they need regular bleeding - which might make people question fluids. Unfortunately it's just the brake, so personally I'd just use an affordable fluid and do it as often as needed.

DOT5.1 has a slightly lower viscosity (for ABS systems in cars), any benefits in a bicycle brake would be negligible. Likewise, "Super" DOT4 fluids such as RBF600 have higher boiling points, which I doubt many people outside of alpine regions would see a benefit to either.
RBF has really helped my formulas but they were only overheating on runs over 3km.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Where is the best place to buy Motul 600 high boiling point Dot 4. My XOs with 6" rotors on my AM bike keep boiling off fluid. There are a ton of bubbles every time they are bled.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where is the best place to buy Motul 600 high boiling point Dot 4. My XOs with 6" rotors on my AM bike keep boiling off fluid. There are a ton of bubbles every time they are bled.
the best is online, which is why I don't necessarily think it's worth the effort over a high quality DOT4 available at yours FLAPS. I believe I may have seen it before, either in Advance or autozone, but it's not typical.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just bleed them with DOT 4. They feel great for the time being. Going out to hit some runs tomorrow so we'll see how they feel after a day of abuse. I must say its hard to find pure DOT 4. I had to get the Valvoline 3&4 DOT.

The Motul fluid sounds interesting. I may check it out if the DOT 4 doesn't cut it. But the Valvoline fluid said boiling point was 311 degrees i think. So that seems fairly decent.
Just an FYI, a DOT 3+4 specified fluid is not necessarily different than DOT4, just that it meets criteria for both standards and may be used in both systems. Are you sure the dry boiling point is 311? that seems awfully low. Dry BP should be around 450 for valvoline, wet should be in the 300s. "wet" refers to when it's absorbed its maximum capacity of water, I believe...that's why you bleed it regularly, to keep it at 450.

Brake Fluid Comparison

Brake Fluid

The Brake Bible/Fluid Comparison - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums

I like the idea of using ATE super blue, and switching with either ATE's yellow fluid of the same type, or another yellow fluid. That way you know when you have a complete bleed and fluid replacement. It was super nice when I did it on my car....just stop after the fluid turns blue.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Just an FYI, a DOT 3+4 specified fluid is not necessarily different than DOT4, just that it meets criteria for both standards and may be used in both systems. Are you sure the dry boiling point is 311? that seems awfully low. Dry BP should be around 450 for valvoline, wet should be in the 300s. "wet" refers to when it's absorbed its maximum capacity of water, I believe...that's why you bleed it regularly, to keep it at 450.

Brake Fluid Comparison

Brake Fluid

The Brake Bible/Fluid Comparison - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums

I like the idea of using ATE super blue, and switching with either ATE's yellow fluid of the same type, or another yellow fluid. That way you know when you have a complete bleed and fluid replacement. It was super nice when I did it on my car....just stop after the fluid turns blue.
Yea i could have had it wrong. i didn't have the bottle in front of me. I could has misread it. But i figure a 3 &4 combo would fit the bit. Had the bike out yesterday and the brakes felt amazing. A bleed was long over due....