Quantcast

Brake hose - Goodridge Vs. Hope

Tom IH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Which one is better ?
I thought i'd save the money by using the existing fitting hardware and a goodridge hose. Will it do the job ?

Is the whole kit (fittings + hose) worth the 50$ ?

Thanks...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The hoses come with fittings (goodridge). Hope you will need new compression fittings I woud guess at the very least?

The goodridge lines are absolutely fantastic on the brakes i have tried them on. I found them a bit much however on my shimanoes, they added power, but at the expense of feel and modulation.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The Hope kits come with a baggy full of all the fittings you need.
At least the kits I bought did...

No complaints about performance, either. Very worthwhile upgrade over stock lines.

J

J5ive

Stock hose. I dunno- the stainless stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm yet to kill a hose, and shimanos are nice and cheap if you do.

Tom IH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Both hope and goodridge are stainless steel and can be bought per meter (about 10$ per meter), so I ask again, will a goodridge hose work with the shimano saint fitting ?

What about the weight ?

Thanks...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No they won't.
A couple glances at both hoses and fittings would have probably told you that. :)

The saint caliper fitting is crimped to the hose, and the lever fitting uses a compression olive around the hose. Evidently this olive won't seal with a stainless steel braided hose (and the goodridge's inner 'hose' will be too thin).

The goodridge fittings are the nicest part, stainless steel, cross drilled bolts, and all reuseable. Not much point splurging if you're not going to go all the way anyway.

I have used them in the past and can recommend them. Though I don't really see the need on shimano brakes either. They are slightly heavier than the stock hoses too, for those that care. I actually weighed them once but forgot to write it down :redface:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I need a new Hayes line. It rubbed and the outer black part was worn apart, showing the yellow part.

Are there some lines that won't wear out, that won't sacrifice modulation. I can't stand brakes that stop right away(my friend's juicy 7 carbons...). I like to be able to feather them a little. Partly for nose manuals :p.

Tom IH

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
I have used them in the past and can recommend them. Though I don't really see the need on shimano brakes either.
I thought about replacing the hose in the first place, because the shimano hose is pretty elastic and is expanding while pulling hard on the brakes, so you get the feeling of air in the hose.

Can you estimate how heavy it is ?

Thanks...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The feeling of air in the hose IS air in the hose. The kevlar hoses resist expansion fairly well.

It takes a while to bleed a saint right (the plus side is you'll probably never have to do it again) - but if you can't do it right with the stock hoses you probably won't manage with the goodridge's either.

Just my take on it. I have a pair of saints on my hardtail that are crazy solid feeling, and that was because I spent a few nights pumping the lever and tapping the whole system (hanging vert) while watching tv. :)

The GR hoses don't add any significant amount of weight BTW, so if you have the means go ahead and try them. But you'll have to trust me on the above!

Feb 13, 2006
If you're talking about Hope braided vs Goodridge braided, I've been told that the Hope lines are rebadged/repackaged Goodridge and therefore there isn't any difference.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I found them a bit much however on my shimanoes, they added power, but at the expense of feel and modulation.
Interesting. Anyone other opinions of Shimano/Goodridge combos? Maybe I'll save some money and stay with the stock lines.

toby

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Interesting. Anyone other opinions of Shimano/Goodridge combos? Maybe I'll save some money and stay with the stock lines.

toby
They are a huge upgrade on hayes. They literally made them feel like new brakes. Tons of power, good modulation, good feel etc. I would recommend anyone with hayes brakes get goodridge lines.

The new hopes, as mentioned, are shipping with rebadged goodridge lines. This is only the hopes that traditionally ship with braided line showever (I hear some do not?)

The older shimano lines (ugly romex looking stuff) sucked balls and goodridge is a huge step up. The newer plastic shimano lines seem to be just stiff enough to work well with their own system. They give great power, but great feel as well. Goodridge lines pushed the power up a few notches, but I lost the feel i loved in my Saints, so i went back to stock shimano lines.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
They are a huge upgrade on hayes. They literally made them feel like new brakes. Tons of power, good modulation, good feel etc. I would recommend anyone with hayes brakes get goodridge lines.

The new hopes, as mentioned, are shipping with rebadged goodridge lines. This is only the hopes that traditionally ship with braided line showever (I hear some do not?)

The older shimano lines (ugly romex looking stuff) sucked balls and goodridge is a huge step up. The newer plastic shimano lines seem to be just stiff enough to work well with their own system. They give great power, but great feel as well. Goodridge lines pushed the power up a few notches, but I lost the feel i loved in my Saints, so i went back to stock shimano lines.

Great info! Thanks.

toby

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
Ma
I noticed that the goodrigde lines can be bought in bulk. I am just woundering what is used to cut them down to size?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you can cut them with a dremel or saw or pretty much whatever you have handy, just be careful to not make a mess of it, best would be to put a couple layers of duct tape or similar around the cut area prior tu cutting.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
hmmm, unless they've changed since i got my Hope braided this early summer, as far as i can tell the Goodridge hose are quite thick to handle that screw-in type fittings while the Hope hose/fittings use an olive that requires u to cut/peel off a section of the plastic outer coating. However I too was told that the Hope hose are in fact Goodridge, they are not visually. Goodridge, thru email, told me they are not.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
hmmm, unless they've changed since i got my Hope braided this early summer, as far as i can tell the Goodridge hose are quite thick to handle that screw-in type fittings while the Hope hose/fittings use an olive that requires u to cut/peel off a section of the plastic outer coating. However I too was told that the Hope hose are in fact Goodridge, they are not visually. Goodridge, thru email, told me they are not.
Interesting. Last I spoke with goodridge i was told they were not doing it at the time, but had in the past and owuld be again in the future. I wonder if that felt through. I have not seen hope hoses as of late, so I cannot tell you for sure. The goodridge lines are indeed quite beefy with a huge inner liner.