Quantcast

Brake levers

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
All I can say is I DO NOT recommend Magura Louise FR if you have small hands.
Avids might be good. A small friend of mine has them on a SC Blur.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I really didn't like my Maguras (I think they were Claras though). I haven't had too much trouble with my Hayes, but I have to make sure they're adjusted just right for my hands. I thought that my Avid Mechanical levers were big, but maybe that's just me.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The Shimano levers are small and can be adjusted in close if need be. Try XT or XTR. Levers are available without shifters again for this next year.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
are they different than the lx? I find those to be big too :(
I don't know on the new one's, but the XT / XTR have always been much smaller IMO. I'm still riding '97 XTR V-levers on my SS and like the feel. I've got XTs (w/ shifter) on a couple of my bikes and my wife's.

I can take some pics tonight if you want.

One note: my wife also runs the Juliana bars which use a smaller diameter tubing and smaller grips that only fit that bar. I don't think they make them anymore, but she swears by them on her bike.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
are you just looking to move the levers closer to your hand?
alot of brakes have an adjustment you can make with an allen key to move the levers closer to the bar. depends on the make/model.

avid mechanicals were easy to adjust. i just swapped them out for juicy's and i didn't need to make an adjustment at all. levers were at a nice location just out of the box.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
are they different than the lx? I find those to be big too :(
I have tiny/short fingers and hands. I run shimano XT on all my bikes and they work great. I don't know how they compare to the LX though, I've never run them. I like the shape of the lever, the bend is pretty deep and I feel like I can get a better hold with one finger braking.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I to have small hands but But hayes work fine. they can be adjusted by a pin in the level.