Quantcast

Brake Pad Comparisons? (rim brakes)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
yes, I'm still using rim brakes...

Does anyone have any advice on the best pads? My criteria are durability and minimizing rim wear, especially in mud, as I'll be riding a 375 mi endurance race in a couple months. I've never had any trouble with pads that don't stop hard enough, and I'm not a fan of mushy pads or anything made by Kool-stop. Currently I'm using Delta Aztec 2 pads (standard compound), and they're stiff, cheap, and stop well but they seem to be particularly hard on the rims. Any thoughts on a better option?

Also, any thoughts on the pads with replacable inserts vs the total throw-aways?

and please save the "just get disks" replies. The beautiful rim-brake only wheels I built for myself get depressed when they hear the word disc.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have been using the rimwranglers, but I'm not to impressed with the longevity. You could always pack a spare set of refills.

Always liked the old Ritchey red pads.

El Caballo said:
Kool-Stop salmon compound is the best. But only the salmon compound.
Yeah, those are suppose to be the old Mathauser compound. Those were great pads back in my BMX days.

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
i like the ritchey compounds. they sceem to last long enough in dry weather, but wear fast in mudd. just keep a spair set for the front. they are light and don't take up that much room.

I like the rim breaks too. Avid arch rivels work great once they are set up correctly.