Quantcast

brake pad mods

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
well my brakes are running pretty awful right now, any of you that have ever run low end bmx brakes know that they are not the fastest stopping brakes in the world.

I heard boiling the pads for around fifteen minutes softens up the plastic and helps, tried it and it didnt work.

anybody out there know any simple modifications i can do to help with stopping power?
sand my rims?
sand my pads?
roofing tar?
4 leafed clover?

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
ahhhh my bad I just realized rm has a mech section, if a mod feels like this is out of place and has to move it. my apologies

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
before tar... sand your rim with a pretty light grit paper.. IE 100-150ish... pads as well. If that doesnt work, still don't turn to tar. instead, take some coke (coca-cola, or any soda), and using a rag rub it on your rim. Give it a few "coats" while letting each dry. Old trials trick (as is tar... tar is just SUPER hard to clean 100% and is quite discusting to deal with). Might squeek, but they'll stop all-right ;)

EDIT:: Obviously, I would try other things as to not coat your rims in anything, but if nothing else works, I can almost promiss that will. Make sure you clean your rim/pads good with rubbing alc after sanding too.

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
Start with sanding the pads and maybe the rim. If that doesn't work get new pads, cable, and housing in that order. if that still doesn't work A Grove has some good ideas

Edit: Try siping (spelling?) the pads, that works but you go through pads faster

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
chrome rims, good cables that are teflon lined, good lube like Tri-Flow, grease on the brake mounts, pads angled to hit the rim correctly and rim/pads cleaned well with a good cleaner.

if you don't have chrome rims... I can't help. I've set up the cheapest brakes WITH a gyro and they CAN work very well. You want as much friction as possible on the pads/rim and as little as possble everywhere else (lube!).

Nov 20, 2008
spend some money and get a better set of brakes.

also take into consideration that most bmx wheels are not made with braking performance in mind.

something else that might help would be a chrome rear rim. but its probly not worth money or effort involved with buying or lacing a new wheel