bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Bicyclist said:
Right.... :think:

I love it when my brakes howl.
He said turkey gobble not stuck pig.

particle: I have ridden many brakes with galfer stuff on them, it's just not the same. What fluid are you running in your maguras? They can be incredibly grabby if you want.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
bballe336 said:

particle: I have ridden many brakes with galfer stuff on them, it's just not the same. What fluid are you running in your maguras? They can be incredibly grabby if you want.
Yeah, I just LOVE turkey gobblin' brakes. You run your squeaky-ass brakes and I'll run mine that work right. :nopity:

Feb 13, 2006
bballe336 said:

the stock fluid. I don't want them grabby. I was just making comparisons!

what I'm doing is swapping the brakes and putting the Mono M4s on the heavier bike. I ride the heavier bike at higher speeds and the grabbiness isn't so much an issue there.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I think there is way too much confusion about brakes right now. I wish there were a better way to find out more about brakes. I've been searching daily on Ridemonkey and MTBR to find out as much as I can about DH brake options. It's all conjecture and hating. People seem to only talk about brakes when they're broken or before they've ridden them. I've had Hayes Mags for three seasons. I like them. They're reliable and the parts are universally available. Every bike I've seen except one old Turner DHR has had them. I'm interested in getting something else because the Hayes brakes fade after hard runs with a lot of braking.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
stgil888 said:
I think there is way too much confusion about brakes right now. I wish there were a better way to find out more about brakes. I've been searching daily on Ridemonkey and MTBR to find out as much as I can about DH brake options. It's all conjecture and hating. People seem to only talk about brakes when they're broken or before they've ridden them. I've had Hayes Mags for three seasons. I like them. They're reliable and the parts are universally available. Every bike I've seen except one old Turner DHR has had them. I'm interested in getting something else because the Hayes brakes fade after hard runs with a lot of braking.
Go with the formulas, they are the lightest, and after have ridden hayes and hope both on the trail, I can say they have more power and more modulation (I'm not big enough to get brake fade) The pad instalation is cake, and so far very easy to work on. The also have a master cylinder that is thicker than a condom.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I'll take a look at the Formulas. I haven't seen them online or at any shops.

Where do you suggest I look?

Which model are you talking about?

How do you get replacement parts?

I'm 200lbs, and if I'm not pinning it pretending I'm a pro racer, I get face every run. Have tried new fluid, pads, bleeds...etc. I think my brakes don't have the fluid volume and heat dissipation capacity to deal with it. I should try and brake less.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Formula helped designed the Juicy's. If you look at the spec's, they are pretty much the same brake. However, you can bet that formula kept some of the good stuff for themselves on that one.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
stgil888 said:
I'll take a look at the Formulas. I haven't seen them online or at any shops.

Where do you suggest I look?

Which model are you talking about?

How do you get replacement parts?

I'm 200lbs, and if I'm not pinning it pretending I'm a pro racer, I get face every run. Have tried new fluid, pads, bleeds...etc. I think my brakes don't have the fluid volume and heat dissipation capacity to deal with it. I should try and brake less.
QBP has them (so most LBSs can get them)
If you have the money I would get the puros, if not the K24s are a bit heavyer without the steel braided lines.

QBP has some parts and you can always call the guys at formula direct.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
bballe336 said:
Depends on which model you are getting. I will be running Louise FR's later this season. They are lighter than every other comparable brake.

no they arent and they dont have anywhere near the clamping force of the new formula line. even the cheapest formula brake has more clamping force than any brake on the market short of the GUSTAV and those are boat anchors.

Look at the Formula K24s. formula designed the avid juicey before production went to taiwan. then improved on it to make the ORO line. These are the stoppers Honda put under Greg minnaar (by choice, i might add)

Back to topic...i ran a set of mono m4s all last season on my DH rig and with a 220 rotor up front and a 185 rear i never had an issue...
that being said...since ive got on formulas and put those on my trail bike, they have felt mushy and weak in comparison. despite weighing almost 3/4 pounds more.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
TheMontashu said:
QBP has them (so most LBSs can get them)
If you have the money I would get the puros, if not the K24s are a bit heavyer without the steel braided lines.

QBP has some parts and you can always call the guys at formula direct.
just so their is no confusion...the puros are not spec'd as a dh brake but can be used as such. They use some Ti hardware and a KEVLAR/CARBON braided line with a few alloy fittings and a carbon lever. All of this comes out to saving you 42 grams per wheel by upgrading from the K24 model. to give you an idea, Cedric and Greg both use K24s on all their bikes.

and for another tid-bit. My bike switched Directly from Hope mono m4s with 2 piece rotors directly to K24s and lost 1/4 pound in weight. I also got my one finger nose manuals back.

www.formulabrakeusa.com