Quantcast

Brake Upgrade (from Hayes Comp)

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Wow its been a really long time since I have posted.

My second bike is a do all, winter (for GA), beat the snot out of bike.
Its a 01 or 02 Giant AC Lite Air and when I got it came with Hayes Comp brakes. Since I have ridden it I have hated the brakes, they do not stop. I dont know if its because of how old they are, if they were crappy to begin with, pads etc.

I am looking at possibly getting some new brakes so that I can stop but wanting to keep it cheaper. (under $200 for front and rear) Being a student I gotta watch the funds.

I was wondering if anybody had experience with the Magura Julie HP brakes. Can get them cheap enough new but I know nothing about them. I have worked on Avid Juicys a bunch but bleed them is a PITA.

Any suggestions about the Hayes (were they just that bad?) ?

Any expereince with the margura julies?

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
My buddy has Julies and seems to be pretty happy with them.

I've been riding Hayes for a number of years and have never had a problem with stopping force. I'd recommend pulling off the rotors - lightly hitting them with 320 grit sandpaper to burnish them a bit - then cleaning with rubbing alcohol. That will help restore the surface of the rotor. then get new pads - it's possible they are also contaminated.

That's the process I go through every year and it seems to restore the stopping power quite well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My buddy has Julies and seems to be pretty happy with them.

I've been riding Hayes for a number of years and have never had a problem with stopping force. I'd recommend pulling off the rotors - lightly hitting them with 320 grit sandpaper to burnish them a bit - then cleaning with rubbing alcohol. That will help restore the surface of the rotor. then get new pads - it's possible they are also contaminated.

That's the process I go through every year and it seems to restore the stopping power quite well.
I'd definitely clean the rotors and get new pads as suggested above. I used to ride with Hayes brakes, but have changed over two of my bikes to Avid Juicy's and love them. They seem to fit my hands better and I really just like the feel of them. I believe they can be had for under 200 per set too if you look carefully.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'd definitely clean the rotors and get new pads as suggested above. I used to ride with Hayes brakes, but have changed over two of my bikes to Avid Juicy's and love them. They seem to fit my hands better and I really just like the feel of them. I believe they can be had for under 200 per set too if you look carefully.
I'd say the same thing. I ran Hayes (Mags and HFX-9) for a long time. The Comps are similar, but always felt really cheap to me; an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea.

Now, two of my bikes have Avid Juicy 7s. I never had huge problems with the Hayes, but I like the Avids way more- lever shape and overall feel is much better. Adjustments (pad contact, caliper alignment, etc) are all easy and stay where they are supposed to. Yeah, bleeding is not easiest. But with two sets I've only bled one of them once over the last few years and that is because the line was ripped in a crash.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Johnbryanpeters is helping me out with some replacements.

Ok so its not just me that think the hayes are a bit big. I have put up with them because thats what came on the bike. I love the avids on my hardtail but i cant be too picky and will use what ever.

thanks for the help guys,
thanks jbp again for the help