Quantcast

Brake upgrade opportunity from my LBS...

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
I bought my 02 Kona Bear from my LBS about 10 months ago and just got back from talking to them about upgrading my Hayes mechanical discs. Turns out Kona is still offering an upgrade from the mech to Hayes HFX Mag (not the less expensive Comp) for $200 total front and rear.

Should I go for it? Seems like a pretty kick ass deal and I've never been happy with my mech discs...constantly adjusting etc.

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't really have the $200 to throw around right now, but I think it's a no go once I go past a year of ownership.

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
I thought you just said that they could do it?
Yeah, they can. I was simply stating that I'm not exactly in the position to be putting down $200 on an upgrade right now, buuuut I am running out of time on this offer, so its pretty much now or never...for the most part.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by carguy
Yeah, they can. I was simply stating that I'm not exactly in the position to be putting down $200 on an upgrade right now, buuuut I am running out of time on this offer, so its pretty much now or never...for the most part.
Now!

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by drift1492
Do you have to trade in your brakes plus 200? If so, maybe the deal isnt that great
Yeah, thats part of the deal. Whats not good about it? $200 is wholesale price. It also includes new rotors...everything. And its the Mag setup not the Comp.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
That's pretty cool that Kona would let you use brakes for a year, then give them back for the upgrade. Usually you can upgrade, but only when buying the bike new so the brakes have resale value. Used brakes to Kona I bet aren't worth a dime, maybe to your LBS though.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by carguy
Yeah, thats part of the deal. Whats not good about it? $200 is wholesale price. It also includes new rotors...everything. And its the Mag setup not the Comp.
It's still a great deal.

Mags go for $250-$300 used-in-good-condition for a full set. The Mechs would fetch MAYBE $50 complete on the open market. So you're coming out ahead AND getting brand new ones set up by the LBS with warranty.

Nice.

carguy

Chimp
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by Repack
I think dealer cost is about $115 per brake now.
Wow! Thats good to know. I sure hope he's telling the truth, he said over and over its the "Mag" not the comp. I guess they are the left over 02's. They should be in the store in a day or two.