Quantcast

Brake upgrade or not?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I have shimano Saint Discs with Goodridge lines..I am considering putting these on my gf's bike and getting a set of avid codes. i am wondering if this is a smart move? I know everyone has a preference of what brakes they run and I am not unhappy with the saints only feel my back break is a lil more squishy then I like no matter how its been setup

Any suggestions if this is a worthy change?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I race DH on saints (stock lines, not goodridge), and I find them to be more than adequate. That being said, I'm about 200lbs, 210 w/ gear. Do you really need the extra power that you'll get with the codes? That's the big question you should ask yourself, unless you have other motivating factors (like giving your gf some better brakes).

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Sure I read somewhere that steve peat files the pads of his codes down to make em a little less powerful and grabby.

Having tried em I can see the point in doing that even if peaty doesn't actually do it. Maybe I didn't have enough time to get used to them but they did seem overly powerful, I definitely locked up the rear a lot more.

I run the same setup you've got, my brakes havent been touched for over a year and i still wouldn't describe the back brake as squishy, I definitely find it to be a setup with alot of feel.

I'd suggest getting a good bleed first and then deciding if you really wanna get rid of them.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Looks like I will keep the saints and try for a re-bleed. The GF will get a set of Juicy Carbon Freerides...I am getting a good deal and they seem to be good breaks so why not