Quantcast

Brake "upgrade"?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My demo currently has the old style saint brakes on it, but needs new rotors. Every once and a while I want more power, but I'm not totally unhappy with them. Anyway, since I need new rotors right now anyway, I am considering new brakes, but only if they modulate as well, and have significantly more power.
My question: would elixir's fit the bill, or would I need to go with a new saint or code?
I would like to stick with shimano or avid for parts availability.
Anyone's input who has used (on a trail) both elixirs and old saints would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FYI most new brakes don't come with rotors...or as far as I've seen. You can get cheap rotors from alligator via pricepoint. I've run my windcutters for a season without too many problems.

As far as an upgrade, I'm not sure elixirs will provide you with more power. OldSaints are well renowned for their reliability and quality...I think if you want more power you're looking at codes or Saint2RevengeofSaints. I've been really pleased with my 810s, but I can't compare them to anything but codes, which have been more problematic but similar in power.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
All of the avids I've seen in the box come with rotors, but you're right, I don't think saints do...
Good to know about the saint 810/ code comparison.
Thanks!
Anyone use the saint 810 and the elixirs?

cdub162

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
I was running the old saints and wanted more power too. What i did was buy the ServoWave Xt levers and am running them with my old saint calipers. I made a huge difference. I am able to run a 6 inch rotor on the back with this combo. And just buying levers saves you money.

Comparing my combo to elixirs CR SL, they have very similar power but the elixirs have a lot more on/off feel that i just don't like as much. so i am always going to run shimano brakes cause of how simple they are and i love the feel.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I've asked this exact question, and here is what I found out. If you have spent any time on the Avid Juicys, then the Elixir is going to be more powerful. The initial run of the CRs had an issue with the taper bore adjuster that was too adjustable. I don't know the mechanics of it all, but it was possible to set them so that the pad contact and reach were incompatible, allowing air into the system - or something like that. I understand that for 2010 that has been fixed. I have ben on Juicys for a couple of seasons, and have no real complaints about them. In fact I rather like them. The Elixir feels very similar, only more powerful. The Elixir DOES come with rotors, generally.

The new Saints really do seem to be a love it or hate it type of thing. Nobody questions the fact that they have TONS of power, but there is a big question about the modulation. I have only had a run or 2 on them and I found that the contact point felt a bit odd, and they did hit hard when they finally came on. I can really only compare the feeling to my old Hayes Mags, but with more grab. Granted, I think that you could probably figure that out after a few rides and learn how to feather (modulate) the brakes better. Pads for the Saints are INSANELY expensive, but that might be changing, too. The other thing about the Saint is that the levers are proprietary, so if you mess one up, or if you don't like the shape, too bad. They DO NOT come with rotors.

I recently picked up a pair of XTs (same as the old Saint), but I have not bolted them onto my bike yet. The other XTs that I have tried felt pretty good, even if the lever feel is notably different than the Juicys.

In your case, my feeling would be to go with a new rotor (the Avid G3 is really nice) and a fresh bleed. Run the brakes till they die.

skier318

Chimp
Jan 19, 2010
Your calipers are probably flexing too much. The hydraulic pistons are super powerful so you should consider a caliper upgrade.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
last I checked, it's a one-peice forged caliper on my old saints. I'm guessing that isn't a problem.

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
I love my new saints and they are powerful as hell as everyone has heard a million times before. Bleeeding them is a major pain in the ass though. I just gave up on doin my rear line after the 5th attempt. Thats tryin both gravity bleed and using their pro kit. So i just slapped some codes on my bike, and they feel great so far.
Besides maintance on new saints, I'd say either option is great

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bled mine in the parking lot using the moto style grip n rip. Hadn't a problem for a year. Will re-bleed for effect this spring though.

I just popped open the cover, filled er up, covered it, squeezed, open bleeder, close bleeder, release lever, refill and repeat as necessary. Almost as simple as my hopes.

kemosabe83

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
new jersey
Ur saints? u mean codes, well then yes, those... did i say they look pimp.

They feel good i had time to actually set them up today, they are more spongy feeling then saints, but that may just be modulation.. i got trail ride to know for sure

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Hope brakes i hear are extremely powerful. Pink bike did a write up on them this fall. It was very informative. I think i'll be getting some Hope V2's here soon. Its hit or miss though. Some come with rotors some don't. But apparently they have incredible power and are very reliable from what i read on the pink bike review. Might be worth checking out. If your looking for four piston brakes they make the m4 which looks money.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ur saints? u mean codes, well then yes, those... did i say they look pimp.

They feel good i had time to actually set them up today, they are more spongy feeling then saints, but that may just be modulation.. i got trail ride to know for sure
yeah i meant codes
you can have the set, ill just take the calipers

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
The new saints are great brakes. I've had no problem with mine and they do have tons of power. However, like everyone else has said they lack the modulation. I'm a lighter rider (165-170), what I've found personally for me is that for me to be able to get them to modulate I have to be hauling a$$, even then it's not a ton of modulation. What has helped is cutting a little of the pad away though. If you are a heavier rider they are great brakes, if not go with something else.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The new saints are great brakes. I've had no problem with mine and they do have tons of power. However, like everyone else has said they lack the modulation. I'm a lighter rider (165-170), what I've found personally for me is that for me to be able to get them to modulate I have to be hauling a$$, even then it's not a ton of modulation. What has helped is cutting a little of the pad away though. If you are a heavier rider they are great brakes, if not go with something else.
what rotors are you running, brah? I'm a fatty compared to you (2 hunert), but I have more than adequate modulation...as in I have no reason to ask for anything else...with my 810s. I've actually found that in certain situations I'd like a little bit more power...but I run alligator sawblade rotors which are not stock (cheap). Wonder if I should go with the standard rotor, which has more contact area.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hope brakes i hear are extremely powerful. Pink bike did a write up on them this fall. It was very informative. I think i'll be getting some Hope V2's here soon. Its hit or miss though. Some come with rotors some don't. But apparently they have incredible power and are very reliable from what i read on the pink bike review. Might be worth checking out. If your looking for four piston brakes they make the m4 which looks money.
The Motos are very powerful, especially with the split rotors. I don't know whether they offer any advantage to the codes or saints, however. Also, the split rotors are wildly heavy, almost twice the weight of a regular rotor. The calipers are capable of running either, so for practice you could run one and swap for race day, but I would go for the more common avid or shimanos unless you like to keep lots of spares on hand. I've been jealous of my friends in the past when they can buy brake pads at the ****ty on-mountain shops, and I'm SOL.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
what rotors are you running, brah? I'm a fatty compared to you (2 hunert), but I have more than adequate modulation...as in I have no reason to ask for anything else...with my 810s. I've actually found that in certain situations I'd like a little bit more power...but I run alligator sawblade rotors which are not stock (cheap). Wonder if I should go with the standard rotor, which has more contact area.
I've used the standard Shimano rotors as well as now haye's rotors. I run a 8 inch front and a 7 inch rotor in the rear. Both brands work great, power, power, power.