Quantcast

Brakes and confidence

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Do people run LINEAR / V-BRAKES on there 20", 24" or 26" bikes. I noticed mountain bikes run LINEAR / V-BRAKES
and not the (u-brake) type. But most people run the (U-BRAKE) style for park and street. I thought the LINEAR / V-BRAKES, create better stopping power. Just wondering why people don't use that approach. Maybe there are not as reliable than the U-Brakes.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Do people run LINEAR / V-BRAKES on there 20", 24" or 26" bikes. I noticed mountain bikes run LINEAR / V-BRAKES
and not the (u-brake) type. But most people run the (U-BRAKE) style for park and street. I thought the LINEAR / V-BRAKES, create better stopping power. Just wondering why people don't use that approach. Maybe there are not as reliable than the U-Brakes.
it could just be a question of one technology arriving first and generating a loyal following in freestyle bmx.

i think that during the 80's and 90's, when 'freestyle' involved a lot of tricks with your brakes firmly locked (like hopping nosepicks, tailtaps, etc., 990 u-brakes were preferred because they lock up and hold solid. back then the perception of v-brakes were that they were spongier and flexier, and if you locked them up you wouldn't want to hop on them. i guess that didn't really hold true, because trials riders adopted v-brakes. bmx racers liked them for the perceived lightness (although i really don't know if they're any lighter).

Gibby403

Chimp
Aug 27, 2011
Good deduction cmc. I guess I want to experiment but just don't want throw $100.00 here $100.00 there.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Good deduction cmc. I guess I want to experiment but just don't want throw $100.00 here $100.00 there.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but you don't really get a choice (most of the time). A frame only has 990/ u-brake mounts or v-brake mounts. They're not cross compatible.