Quantcast

brakes from brown santa and weight savings advice request

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
Originally Posted by davep
Go back and do the math again. Not trying to bash tubeless as I run all my (off road) bikes tubeless, but the weight savings does not always add up.In your instance, single tracks are about 590 g each. The mavic 823's are about 725 g each. By switching to tubeless, you added 270 g (~2/3 lb) in rim weight. You could of easily put stans strips in you single tracks for the same weight....
well see the funny thing is that i didnt do the math. i let a digital scale do it for me. so i was just telling you what the scale told me. it doesnt really matter to me if my 823 rims are heavier than my old single tracks. what matters to me is i cut two pound off the rig, less rolling resistance, no more pinch flats, and well i can run lower tire preassure for those really sticky situations that i tend to see a lot on the east coast.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
well see the funny thing is that i didnt do the math. i let a digital scale do it for me. so i was just telling you what the scale told me. it doesnt really matter to me if my 823 rims are heavier than my old single tracks. what matters to me is i cut two pound off the rig, less rolling resistance, no more pinch flats, and well i can run lower tire preassure for those really sticky situations that i tend to see a lot on the east coast.
Before you get all defensive, go back and read your orig. post. You did say that the 823's weighed the same as your single tracks, and they do not. You said that a 'ghetto tubeless' set up would be heavier, when in fact it would most likely be lighter than the set up you chose. Two save a full two pounds, you had to have been running 600g tubes.

As I said before, I am an advocate for tubeless. I have been running tubeless on two different bikes for over three years. There are LOTS of benefits in my opinion, but the weight difference is not just the weight of the tubes. To do it correctly, you need tubeless tires (heavier), a strip or tubeless rims (heavier), and IMO some type of sealant regardless of rim type.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
^^^ okay yet again you are so right because a digital scale can just not be trusted. ohh and i didnt weight the entire setup just the wheelset. ohh and one final bit when the bike was on the scale it weighed two lbs less than original.:bonk:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Tubeless tires aren't very necessary for tubeless.

I think tubeless v. tubed tires is kind of like running dh tubes v. xc tubes for DH, personally. I've never had a problem with Stan's and new tube-type tires.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Tubeless tires aren't very necessary for tubeless.

I think tubeless v. tubed tires is kind of like running dh tubes v. xc tubes for DH, personally. I've never had a problem with Stan's and new tube-type tires.
That has been my experience as well, as long as you use DH tires. I have had the best time with Mich. tires (they are all tubeless) but have had good luck with maxxis and Kenda as well. The stans is awesome and does wonders to seal the bead of most tires to the rim, among other things.

However, many non DH tires have very thin sidewalls that allow sealant to get pushed through the sidewall fabric. The outer skin hardens and can cause blisters to form. (remember all of the hoopla about Kendas & tubeless...??)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
yep i put all my weight on it.:bonk:
Was just a joke,I think you have your hand on it,oh never mind.
According to the manufacturers claims you're wrong. I'm running single track front and 823 rear,i run the single track front with an XC tube and tube type minion to save weight over the 823/michelin tubless rear set up I have for strength and flat proofing.
Now I'm really confussed,can anyone else weigh either of these rims or both including Mavic nipple retainers. Not doubting your honesty,just your results,compared to my own(that I can't remember,but I remember the conclussion thats why I run them this way). Single tracks are to weak I think anyway and I'm probablly going to go Deemax or 823 front also.
Are 823s lighter than 321/729s?and wgats heavier
321 with non tubless and XC tube
tubless Maxxis on 823
non tubless Maxxis with stans on 321
Maxxis rim strips with non tubless Maxxis and latex?
,or do you need tubless Maxxis tyres for Maxxis rim strips