Quantcast

Brakes that don't suck?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I have 2 sets of Juicy fives that have been a total pain for the last year. Locking up in hot weather, constant need of bleeds, sticky, squishy levers, etc... I've had them worked on a ton of times and the problems just come back after a few months. I'm gonna deal with them on my Yeti, but I think its time for a new set of brakes on my DH bike. Last time I took them in, my shop guy bled them three times and when he was done the levers were still squishy and sticky, and wouldn't rebound right at all (sticking internal parts maybe?)

I'm thinking about getting them rebuilt or something, but that price plus 4 sets of new pads and a new rotor is gonna add up real quick, and i'm not sure if these brakes are worth putting any more money into. I've had one set or the other in the shop probably 5 or 6 times in the last year, with all those repairs i could've bought new brakes awhile ago. Is it worth it?

If I don't get them rebuilt right away, what brakes are gonna work, be quiet (VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!), and not give me any troubles? I'm tempted to buy a set of juicy 7s, but with all the crap the fives have given me, i think that would be a mistake. I like Hope Mono 4's, but I had a set of minis on my cortina that made terrible wailing no matter what I did to fix it. Is this a problem on the mono's, because squeaky brakes are something that drives me crazy. I've had Hayes 9's with a ton of trouble too, so those are out.

El Caminos?
Juicy Sevens?
Hope Mono M4?
Any other suggestions or sagelike advice? Keep in mind I ride a TON and like to crash hard, so I really need something that will hold up, i'm starting to hate bike shops so I like to stay out of them and do my own work, so reliablility is clutch.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Hayes Mags

Most people that ride hard and a lot find that shops can't really provide the service that they need. You're better off learning to work your stuff youeself.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've had the same experience as you with Juicy 5s and 7s, although 5s suck more.

El Caminos have a really small master cyclinder so they overheat.

Hopes seem to be very inconsistent.

Shimano is the SHIZNIT!!! Quiet, reliable, easy to work on. Plus you get to mix and match parts (I.e. Deore levers on Saint calipers). They're the best brakes I've ridden.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
el caminos are really hit or miss when it comes to performance. i think i may have gotten one of the few pairs that hasn't had any issues in a season of riding so far.

hazards

Chimp
Apr 22, 2005
There has been a few reviews of the Magura Gustav's, and they all seemed to really take a liking the brakes. I haven't personally used them but the look really nice and the reviewers seem to say that they are good. But they can also cost a pretty penny. Hope you find something that will be good for your bike!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
profro said:
Hayes Mags

Most people that ride hard and a lot find that shops can't really provide the service that they need. You're better off learning to work your stuff youeself.
Agreed, something about getting charged out the ass for sub-par service and waiting two weeks just tends to piss me off. I try to do all my own work, but once I get into the more technical stuff I get a bit lost. Once I get someone to teach me to do some of this stuff on my own, i'm never going in shops again, I know they're busy, but I ride EVERY day, I can't just drop my bike off and expect to pick it up and some indefinite time, especially when I know its just sitting there in the back for two weeks before they actually even look at it. They call me with some bullshiit question 2 weeks later, obviously indicating they haven't even looked at it yet, when I could've been riding it while it was sitting in the back collecting dust.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
T-Pirate said:
Agreed, something about getting charged out the ass for sub-par service and waiting two weeks just tends to piss me off. I try to do all my own work, but once I get into the more technical stuff I get a bit lost. Once I get someone to teach me to do some of this stuff on my own, i'm never going in shops again, I know they're busy, but I ride EVERY day, I can't just drop my bike off and expect to pick it up and some indefinite time, especially when I know its just sitting there in the back for two weeks before they actually even look at it. They call me with some bullshiit question 2 weeks later, obviously indicating they haven't even looked at it yet, when I could've been riding it while it was sitting in the back collecting dust.
Whoa, your shop sucks.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Bicyclist said:
Whoa, your shop sucks.
I live in South Carolina

Not to bash on my shops, they're really nice guys and they've hooked me up in a clutch, but there just isn't enough of a DH/FR scene here for anyone that know's their stuff to be employed. My DH bike ends up getting worked on by a bunch of roadies and XC riders.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
hazards said:
There has been a few reviews of the Magura Gustav's, and they all seemed to really take a liking the brakes. I haven't personally used them but the look really nice and the reviewers seem to say that they are good. But they can also cost a pretty penny. Hope you find something that will be good for your bike!
I'm hearing good things, but apparently those things can stop a train. I weigh about a buck forty and have NEVER felt like I needed more power than the juicy's have, I go fast but I try not to use brakes a ton so I don't need mad power, I feel like anything more than I have would really be just annoying unless i'm just pulling nose wheelies or something. I feel like bikes with Hayes are harder to manual already because those are grabbier brakes than avids, when I hit the rear I snap right back down. I know you just have to get used to it, but it sounds like the Gustavs are more power than I need. If I was rocking a full on DH bike and a bit heavier I might consider them, but I think i'd be paying for features I don't need.

Matrimony

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Winooski, VT
I just bought a pair for hayes nines a few weeks ago, and personally, i think theyre the best brtakes ive ridden so far....juicy 7's to me are very squishy, like the levers are going to snap....and el caminos seem like theyre going to crap out at any time....you might wanna go with hayes in my opinion

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
i used to have a pair of gustav and i absolutely loved them. after about a year of (non-)stoping pleasure, i sold them in order to make a tour through other brands. i'm currently running saints and i'm as happy as i was with the maguras, but with more spare parts available everywhere and pads that don't last more than a "fart in a basket".

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
bjanga said:
How do avid mechanicals compare power-wise to your average hydro?
My Avids on my Big Hit a while ago were ridiculously grabby, but they lacked the easily controllable and on-demand power of Saints or Hayes 9s. On a trail they just didn't perform as well.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I will give another vote for the shimanos. (saint)

I have hayes mags on my dj bike, they work and are durable.

The shimanos have a better feel, easier to bleed, pad compound options that come with the brakes.

I too hated and had tons of trouble with my juicy (5s and 7s).

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
I don't like the fact that shimanos have to be purchased seperately instead of a prebled kit, but if I get the right options I might do it. My old Deore 525 hydros are still perfect after 4 years, too bad they're on my dad's bike. Which levers are ya'll runnin on your saints, and I don't have, nor can I switch to saint hubs. Can I run my 8 in Juicy rotors or is it some crazy size?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Saint calipers, Saint levers, Shimano 6 bolt Rotors

Both 6 bolt and Center Locking come with Saint Calipers. They are also in stock at QBP (which most bike shops order from) (The Saint Levers aren't in stock there but the XT's are same thing diff. color)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
T-Pirate said:
I don't like the fact that shimanos have to be purchased seperately instead of a prebled kit, but if I get the right options I might do it. My old Deore 525 hydros are still perfect after 4 years, too bad they're on my dad's bike. Which levers are ya'll runnin on your saints, and I don't have, nor can I switch to saint hubs. Can I run my 8 in Juicy rotors or is it some crazy size?

I'm pretty sure you can just run your juicy rotors, but don't quote me on that.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
T, Shimano makes IS 6-bolt rotors as well as Centerlock. Or, you can run your Juicy levers with Saints. The only problem is selling your Juicys would be harder.

I like XT levers.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
chicodude said:
I'm pretty sure you can just run your juicy rotors, but don't quote me on that.
Pretty much all rotors are interchangable, as long as they're not funky.

So Hayes-Avid-Tektro-Shimano, etc. are all interchangable as long as they're the right size and mount.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Bicyclist said:
T, Shimano makes IS 6-bolt rotors as well as Centerlock. Or, you can run your Juicy levers with Saints. The only problem is selling your Juicys would be harder.

I like XT levers.
I can't sell the juicy's because they don't work....they're going into my parts bank until I can get them rebuilt or rebuild them as a backup.

The saints are looking tempting, a little priceier than the hayes but if they work it will be worth it

Go-ride has a complete set for $479, but when I add up all the components bought seperately I'm getting a total price of about $410-$420, am I missing something here or do they just rape people on the full kit?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You have to build a full kit, so that price is likely in the little fittings/hoses, fluid, and labor.

I'd just build 'em yourself, that way the lines are the right length and they work good from the start. Not sayin' Go-ride can't put a brake together but it'll be cut for your bike if you do it and it'll probably be cheaper.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've had Shimano XT 4pots, Hayes Mags, and Hope Mon0 4's and current XT's on my rigs. Out of those, both the XT's were my favs just because of ease of maintaining and overall feel/power.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Bicyclist said:
You have to build a full kit, so that price is likely in the little fittings/hoses, fluid, and labor.

I'd just build 'em yourself, that way the lines are the right length and they work good from the start. Not sayin' Go-ride can't put a brake together but it'll be cut for your bike if you do it and it'll probably be cheaper.
True, I've never bled my own brakes so with labor at another shop it might end up being just as pricey, but it seems like that may be the way to go anyway. I guess it depends how long I feel like waiting, maybe I'll just get them done in the shop up in Boone once I go to school, a lot more DH bikes go through the area so I trust them a little bit more.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
T-Pirate said:
Go-ride has a complete set for $479, but when I add up all the components bought seperately I'm getting a total price of about $410-$420, am I missing something here or do they just rape people on the full kit?
You can get the XT/Saints for much cheaper than that. I got mine brand new for 120, and then spent 60 more for new rotors and adaptors.

XT's are super easy to bleed, so even if you haven't done it yourself it won't take long to learn. The great thing is it is mineral oil, so even if you mess up it won't eat your skin....

It took some work finding the deals, but it was well worth the effort for a kick butt set up. I like them much more than my Mono 4s.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Shimano works great, and I've also had decent luck with Hayes. I did notice that Hayes pads last a lot longer. Shimanos are simpler and easier to set up, and also have more modulation and better lever feel. The choice is yers.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Go the Shimannos,easy to bleed and they come with ingrish instructions even. I've got XTR caliper saint levers on one rig and XT calipers/levers on another. Awsome,just do it. Remember yeah Avids etc are great but the shimanos you can do yourself and not waste riding time.

Rossco224

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
England
Hope brakes are the kingpin here. As long as the mounts are faced. Spend some time with the shims. Had to split the hose and feed through the swing arm, But they bleed up no problem. Hopes aftersales service is top class. Blew a bore cap o-ring on the rear. Instead of sending the brakes away and all that faff. They sent the special tool and spares. + a free t-shirt. Amazing

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'll throw out a different option you might not have considered - Magura Louise FR. I've got the 210mm front, 180mm rear setup on my 7point and I'm very happy with them (also run Martas on my xc bike). If you go that route, I'd pick up some spare parts (fittings, pads, etc) and a bleed kit since most people won't stock Magura parts although BTI will be carrying the brakes now. There are usually some deals to be had on the brakes and also google "magura cult" to find the website with more info on their brakes.

Just checked the speedgoat site and they list the brakes at $195 per end

MCM #21 here

Feb 13, 2006
Louise FR are outstanding. I weigh 150 and have the 210mm front / 190mm rear on a 35 lbs trail bike and they are more than enough power. The Louise (non-FR) is the same brake with a different color scheme, and in 2007 there will be no distinction between FR and non-FR.

I have Louise FR 180mm front, Louise 160mm rear on a 29 lbs XC bike and they are more than enough power as well. Very quiet, outstanding modulation.

I have lots of experience with Hopes too. I have the old Minis on my hardtail, they work great but squeal now and then. The Spot Facing tool helps eliminate the squeal and makes the power more predictable if you run Hopes.

I have the Mono M4 on my fattie 40 lbs bike with 200mm front, 180mm rear rotors. Plenty of power there too. But again, occasional squeal... not as much as the old Minis, but still there.

Magura Louise is what I'd recommend. If you want crashproofing, here are my suggestions: (1) Braided stainless steel lines from Goodridge or Galfer; (2) Don't make the lever/master cylinder clamp bolt (on the lever to handlebar connection) too tight, make it just tight enough that it doesn't move around when you ride and use the brakes. If it is able to rotate under crash conditions, you're much less likely to trash the lever/master cylinder assembly.

Magura USA's customer service is outstanding and they will get parts to you very quickly.

You can find the brakes much cheaper than the $195 per wheel quoted for SpeedRapeGoat. Look around. I paid $160/wheel for the Louise FR / Louise combo on my XC bike.

Mike B. said:
I'll throw out a different option you might not have considered - Magura Louise FR. I've got the 210mm front, 180mm rear setup on my 7point and I'm very happy with them (also run Martas on my xc bike). If you go that route, I'd pick up some spare parts (fittings, pads, etc) and a bleed kit since most people won't stock Magura parts although BTI will be carrying the brakes now. There are usually some deals to be had on the brakes and also google "magura cult" to find the website with more info on their brakes.

Just checked the speedgoat site and they list the brakes at $195 per end

MCM #21 here

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
T-Pirate said:
I live in South Carolina

Not to bash on my shops, they're really nice guys and they've hooked me up in a clutch, but there just isn't enough of a DH/FR scene here for anyone that know's their stuff to be employed. My DH bike ends up getting worked on by a bunch of roadies and XC riders.
ive seen this alot. but cc brakes are the same as dh brakes (mechanicaly) most mtb come with hydrolic anyway ive been working on my oqn bikes for years. my juicy fives were easier to set up and maintain than my hayes mag 9's. those levers should not be squishy after bleeding mine have great lever feel. find a bike shop that rides mountain period

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
any thing from magura is pretty damn good. i have also had great luck with my shimano deore hydro 525's. they are great for me. good power good modulation and they have a very firm feeling at the lever which i love and have not found another brake that feels so good. over the past 3-4 years i have only needed to bleed the rear one once. find another break with that kinda reliability.

other good brakes that i really are the new formulas, and the shimano brakes.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Magura Gustavs have been holding up for 6 years straight without a single hitch. They stop my BMW TMX with one finger! No question about which one to get.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Magura Gustav's the last 3 years with no problems. I run 190 front and rear and can stop on a dime. It took me some time to get used to all the power but wouldn't change to anything else.