Quantcast

Brakes to buy

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Looking for some advice on the above. I freeride @ Diablo (NJ) often. I seem to abuse my rear break often to the point where bleeding will not help (it become unusable and will not lock up the rear wheel even after bleeding and replacing the pads) and I need to replace every 2 months (yes the pads are replaced often about each month). Should I just keep doing so or upgrade to better brakes. I have tried the Avid Juicy 3s and Haynes HFX-9. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
what kind of brakes are you currently running? If budget is an issue, I would say Juicy 5. HFX-9's I've always had problems with, gave up on those a long time ago...I would avoid them on long dh runs

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Avid Juicy 3s. I had the HFX-9s and they died the same way. Yes I'm am under a budget but open to not going to the hospital and spending the right $ as well :).

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I just changed from HFX9 to Avid Juicy 5s for my xc/fr bike, and was well worth the change, with 203rotors (i know abit big) works amazing, and good price

Or Saints..I run them on my DH bike and there amazing and really good value too..oh and super easy to bleed!!

ot looking forward to having to bleed the avids!!!lol

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
I just changed from HFX9 to Avid Juicy 5s for my xc/fr bike, and was well worth the change, with 203rotors (i know abit big) works amazing, and good price

Or Saints..I run them on my DH bike and there amazing and really good value too..oh and super easy to bleed!!

ot looking forward to having to bleed the avids!!!lol
why does every body b!tch about bleeding avids? ya, shimanos are easier, but compared to some brands, avids are REALLY basic. hayes blow nut to bleed

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I run juicy 7s on my dh rig and they are super nice. I have juicy 5s on my ht and have no complaints. I used to run hfx 9s on my ht and they always gave me sh1t. I did run a set of hayes mags on my old dh rig for about 4 years with no bleeds and they remained strong, although I may have been lucky.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Something else to consider... trying switching out to steel braided lines. If you're using your brakes as much as you claim, the performance upgrade might be worth it.