Quantcast

Brakes

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Racillo said:
Need your help, need your opinion for FR and DH - - Hayes El Camino V8 or Hayes Mag V8 or which other would you say
For DH - Mags.
If you race, you will want Hayes. They are at the Nationals and also many local races providing support. Always approachable and helpful.

I run Mags on my DH bike. I have El Caminos on my XC bike. I have been told that El Caminos are better for XC/FR than DH, but I cannot explain why very well... I'm sure someone else would do a better job than me. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He asked for an opinion between 2 hayes brakes, and you geniuses offer him all sorts of suggestions from other manufacturers. You guys are rivaling Einstein here lately. Quit it with the fanboy nonsense, it is getting tiring.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
either way hayes mags or caminios are going to be pretty reliable. Say away from the nines!!!

I again would suggest avids over the hayes, but that's my opinion. Saints are pretty sweet as well. it's a bit of a toss up between saints and avids for me, but I've run juicy's for 2 years now and I love them!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
iridebikes said:
either way hayes mags or caminios are going to be pretty reliable. Say away from the nines!!!

I again would suggest avids over the hayes, but that's my opinion. Saints are pretty sweet as well. it's a bit of a toss up between saints and avids for me, but I've run juicy's for 2 years now and I love them!
Why stay away from 9's? The el caminos are absolute trash. They have less power than my hayes mechs. The 9's are pretty decent IMO.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Why stay away from 9's?
I'm sick of having to send the same pairs back to hayes to get parts replaced because they have low quality controll. We have customers come in all the time wanting their brakes fixed. we'll fix them and let them know that it will only happen again... then anywhere from two rides to two months later they're back in with the exact same problem.

Same thing with manitou forks. we sent back 4 within 2 weeks... Dumb!

I've heard the early el caminos had some problems, but I haven't heard anything since the pre-production models either good or bad. I know some people that are running them and haven't had any problems.
They have less power than my hayes mechs
then you've set them up wrong I'm assuming because the one's i've ridden have way more power than any hayes mech. I've ever ridden.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
He asked for an opinion between 2 hayes brakes, and you geniuses offer him all sorts of suggestions from other manufacturers. You guys are rivaling RC here lately. Quit it with the fanboy nonsense, it is getting tiring.
Fixed it for you. :agree:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
iridebikes said:
Say away from the nines!!!
Odd you say that, as I have had nothing but great luck with my nines. They have performed flawlessly for 2 years now and they worked well for a friend before that. The only issue I had was with the lever pinch bolt stripping, but a quick email to Hayes and they had a new one in the mail. My nines have seen it all and even with cracked brake lines are still going strong.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I run the V8 El Camino's on my MTX/DS bike and on my XC/light trail bikes. Good for those applications.

I tried running them on my Demo and my Nomad, which I use for longer DH and freeride runs. The full sintered metallic pads smoked rotors in the El's. I switched back to my 9's for both of my bigger run bikes, and they seem to work.

I think the El's are better for lighter bikes or shorter runs. The pads tend to eat rotors pretty good, and tend to burn down pretty fast. Just my two cents though.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
iridebikes said:
I'm sick of having to send the same pairs back to hayes to get parts replaced because they have low quality controll. We have customers come in all the time wanting their brakes fixed. we'll fix them and let them know that it will only happen again... then anywhere from two rides to two months later they're back in with the exact same problem.

Same thing with manitou forks. we sent back 4 within 2 weeks... Dumb!

I've heard the early el caminos had some problems, but I haven't heard anything since the pre-production models either good or bad. I know some people that are running them and haven't had any problems.

then you've set them up wrong I'm assuming because the one's i've ridden have way more power than any hayes mech. I've ever ridden.
My 9's work far better than my mags did. And the el caminos are horrible. They were set up just fine. The brakes just suck. They have no redeeming qualities about them. They have very little power, the levers feel like crap, and they are nothing but trouble. With 8 inch rotors, a fresh bleed, and new pads they were barely enough to slow me down in the parking lot going 10mph.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i have hayes 9's on my demo plus i have the bonz aftermarket levers, they work fine. on my old big hit i had 9's and the rear would always somehow loose fluid but the front i had i never had to bleed it ever.Its kinda hit and miss but not nearly as bad as manipoo in my opinion. But when i have the money im gettin the j 7's or codes when they come out.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The El Caminos are not my friend. You can't even set the reach adjust far enough in to allow me to comfortably use them. The power adjuster adjusts them from not nearly enough power to completely ineffective.

I have a set that I got Hayes to throughly go over at the US Open. They didn't stop my 23 pound hardtail then, and they don't now. I would gladly trade them for a set of Avid Mechanicals, hfx 9's or V brakes if my frame had tabs. I have felt a few pair of EC's that felt marginally better, but the owners stated that they never had any prolonged periods of reliability with them.

If given the choice between mags and El Camino's, I would take mags in a heart beat.

Racillo

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
Lima, Peru
Thank you for the info. The favorite is the Juicy. I suppose is the Juicy 7. What about Hopes Mini 4.

Who has used an El Camino for FR and DH ? Are El Camino the ones that go back to the factory for guarantee. ????

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Racillo said:
Thank you for the info. The favorite is the Juicy. I suppose is the Juicy 7. What about Hopes Mini 4.

Who has used an El Camino for FR and DH ? Are El Camino the ones that go back to the factory for guarantee. ????
The el caminos should not be used for DH. They aren't a DH brake. They are an XC brake at best. The juicy's feel pretty nice and everyone who has them seems to like them. But brakes are like suspension in the respect that you need to try before you buy.