brakes

trek123

Chimp
Mar 12, 2007
hey everyone

i just got a trek 4300 and the brake are a little slow , so
im going to try to get a pair of hydraulic disc brakes,

however there is a problem as im on a tight budget
and the mrket is so vast i dont realy no were to start.
im looking to spend around 70 pounds a brake.

any suggestions would be apprieciated

cheers sam

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
hey everyone

i just got a trek 4300 and the brake are a little slow , so
im going to try to get a pair of hydraulic disc brakes,

however there is a problem as im on a tight budget
and the mrket is so vast i dont realy no were to start.
im looking to spend around 70 pounds a brake.

any suggestions would be apprieciated

cheers sam
Sam - sounds like you are from "across the pond" so here's some info from your neck of the woods:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=580

Scroll down until you see "Avid Juicy 5"

They are about 80 pounds per set - almost in your price range, and they are great brakes for someone going with discs for the first time. Chainreactioncycles is one of the biggest online retailers in the U.K. and I've dealt with them in the past over here in the U.S.A. - great service and reliable.

For a review of these brakes go to this site - they've got reviews of TONS of other stuff too:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/disc_brake_system/

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I hate to ask stupid questions but I think the 4300 is made both disc ready and v-brake only. Does your bike have the tabs for disc brakes?

sweetimzack

Monkey
May 28, 2006
if your a starter hydro brakes arent the right ones since if you ride them youll boil the fluids and youll be without breaks until there pumped back up to normal pressure lol id say go with avid bb5 or bb7 or even bb3 mechanical disc brakes

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Like skate and jim said, make sure that the bike and the wheels can accept disc brakes or else you'll be out of look and have to sell them.

Once you have figured out that, look for a mechanical disc brake.
If you still want to go with the Hydraulic then go with the Avid Juicys, they are the best in my opinion.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well trek good luck finding a set of hydros for that cheap man. over here a good set of hydros will run you from 150-250$ a piece for them. unfortunatly i dont know what that is in euros but hopefully you will understand they arent cheap.

originally posted by sweetimzack
if your a starter hydro brakes arent the right ones since if you ride them youll boil the fluids and youll be without breaks until there pumped back up to normal pressure lol id say go with avid bb5 or bb7 or even bb3 mechanical disc brakes
man all i got to say is that no entry level biker will ever get a set of hydro disc brakes to boil. if he ends up getting hayes or hopes they will be running dot 3 or 4 fluid in them. keep in mind this is the same fluid that is in your cars brake system. the fluid is made to withstand temps well over what you can produce ridding a trek 4300. so with that said if you decide to go with a set of mechanicles i suggest the avid bb7 these are the only mechanicles that are worth buying in my opionion. hope that helps out a little bit man and good luck with the search.

Diablo13

Chimp
Apr 7, 2007
Even though I live in the U.S. I got a magazine in Europe when I went over there called MBUK which shows you the best disc brakes for a reasonable price. V-brakes (the ones you have on your bike) aren't as great as disc brakes because as you ride they pick up dirt more easily and instead of being easy to brake the dirt builds up and starts to scratch your rims whenever you brake.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Get some shimano brakes - XT if it fits your budget otherwise Deore or LX would be just as good. Great brakes and really easy to work on, bleed, shorten lines etc!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
if your looking for ease hayes is probly your best bet. dot 4 fluid, bleeds just like car disc brakes, and well shortning lines is the same for every system.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
hayes hfx-9's are probably the cheapest and best value hydro brakes here, stateside. make sure your wheels can take a set of discs before spending any money though.

honestly, i would try upgrading just your front wheel and only to mech. disc. it will stop u plenty, be cheaper, and allow you to build your skills and learn to ride w/ less braking