Quantcast

Brand Loyalty and products you would buy again. Why Maxxis?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
The new thread brought up an interesting point for me. Why do you all run Maxxis tires? I have run Specialized, Maxxis, and Michelin dh tires for a good 6 years now and my favorites have got to be the new Specialized Chunders. Tubeless isnt an option for me just cuz I am not concerned about weight and hate the mess, so is that the reason? Does everybody run tubeless now and Maxxis makes the best UST tires? So my question is "Why Maxxis?" In my experience, all of my specialized tires have outlasted my Maxxis ones by a long shot... So I wouldn't think it would be lifespan.... Thoughts?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
they have a complete line of tires that can work on just about any type of trail in any condition

high roller, minion, wet scream, etc.

they have multiple tread compounds to pick from:

SR, ST, 3c, etc.

They come with different casings:
single ply, double, UST

as for why I run them:
2 ply DH casing is without a doubt the best DH casing available. Not too heavy and all but impossible to get flats with. 2 years and no flats with lightweight tubes on WC tracks like St. Anne and Schladming.

They grip like nothing else. I have tried michelin and Kenda (awful) and they do not stack up in any way.

Maxxis all the way for me. They are one piece of equipment (along with mavic rims) that I would never mind paying full retail for no matter what other companies are offering up sweet deals

*** glad you like the Specialized tires. If you knew who made them for Spec. you would not find it so suprising as to why so many people love Maxxis.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
I'm running UST now but even years ago they had superior tires.

Other brands seems to have one good tire and lots of crappy ones. Maxxis has a great range and you can mix/match front/rear setups in all conditions.

You can also find them anywhere.

For these reasons I've always run Maxxis and to be honest I have never tried another brand. I've considered Kenda's and Michelin's but every time I need to buy a tire I stick with my trusty Maxxis setup because I just dont want to chance a bad buy and again, availability/convenience factors in heavily.

Maxxis for life!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Quality and predictability.
I know the Maxxis line. I know how every one of their tires handles. I know they will always mount tubeless the first try. The rubber is better than anything else I've every ridden.
Their prices have gone up recently but I keep coming back because every time I've tried something different I'm disappointed.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I have tried all kinds of tires since I work at a shop and the only ones I have been able to totally rely on are High Rollers (mostly) and Minions (for no-pedaling dh). At least they work best for my ever-evolving "style" of riding.:panic:

If I did a lot more shore-style riding, I'd run Nevegals without hesitation. I wear those out much faster than either Maxxis tire. As-is, I really want to get a set of Small Block 8's - those look like they'd be mint for groomed trails, street and dj's.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
You get value for money for product that you know performs consistently
plus its available everywhere whenever you want for a reasonable price.

You can pickup minnions SR for $40AUD whereas anythign comparable from Michelin for example is usually at least double the price. For disposable part that speaks for its self.

There might be better tyres out (going by what the pros are running not really) there but i dont think they are better value.

Plus like mentioned above you can find a tyre in their range for whatever conditions and type of riding youll encounter.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I stick with maxxis or michelin, but Maxxis is my number 1. For the rocky terrain that I get in my region I find that Maxxis is the most resistant to flats (non UST) at a reasonable weight. When it comes to feel I could go with either maxxis or michelin. I find that either of them have a good gripy compound for the rocks and roots that we get in my region and my provincial race circuit.

I don't think Maxxis is the be all and end all. Personally I find that their line up lacks a tire for slick but not muddy courses. Thats when I skip over the highroller and go to the Michelin comp 16. That said, they still are #1 for flats and feel.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't get flats, they last a long time, they grip really well, (high rollers and minions 3c for the trails I ride anyway) roll ok to reasonably well, and have a very predictable feel.

I know what to expect from them, and they work well for lots of conditions.

seattle_hans

Chimp
May 12, 2008
aptos
they have the best traction that a tire can offer and thats the price of buying a highend tire!
maxxis dosnt mess around!

there my homies !

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
mostly because the other tire companies are more concerned with tires for other vehicles.....

It comes down to maxxis making lots of treads, compounds and continuing to bring new models to market. THey make a tire for any possible MTB application.

Mich makes a better built tire.......but they only have one soft compound (IMO great) and VERY limited tread designs. The '24 tread' is on about 75% of their tires, they do not make any sticky 'non DH' tires. IMO Mich is the single biggest reason that Mich is not selling more tires....maybe that will change with their new (2010.. 2011..???) products but in my experience French companies have a knack for doing things 'thier own way' no matter how many people tell them another way would be more beneficial.

I find it odd how the mich/maxxis price varies. In the states, they are esssentially the same price both at cost and retail.....yet it seems like every where else, (certainly Cananda and Aus) Mich are much more $$.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
mostly because the other tire companies are more concerned with tires for other vehicles.....

It comes down to maxxis making lots of treads, compounds and continuing to bring new models to market. THey make a tire for any possible MTB application.

Mich makes a better built tire.......but they only have one soft compound (IMO great) and VERY limited tread designs. The '24 tread' is on about 75% of their tires, they do not make any sticky 'non DH' tires. IMO Mich is the single biggest reason that Mich is not selling more tires....maybe that will change with their new (2010.. 2011..???) products but in my experience French companies have a knack for doing things 'thier own way' no matter how many people tell them another way would be more beneficial.

I find it odd how the mich/maxxis price varies. In the states, they are esssentially the same price both at cost and retail.....yet it seems like every where else, (certainly Cananda and Aus) Mich are much more $$.
it's funny, I'm a die hard minion f fan, been running them for years, buuuuut, for my pedally bike I wanted a UST 2.35 with a dh casing, I live in whistler, and our xc rides aren't typical.....so I got the mich 2.2 comp 24's, which were awesome, except in the wet....my only complaint with maxxis is that they have limited UST compatibility and don't offer the 2 ply sidewall on the tires I'd like to see it on......but my glory dh has minion f's front and rear, and that's not going to change any time soon

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you are going for ust to safe weight, the results are going to be bad. tubed is the way to go if you want to save weight.

anyways, back to the whole maxxis thing. i like my maxxis tires too, but i also like my michelin tires, and i also love my hutchinson barracudas, not to mention the odd intense tread. (yes, i am a bit of a tire whore. :) )

its hard to fault maxxis, they make a good range of tires that just plain work. generally slightly cheaper to get then the rest, and available everywhere.

just to get things clear, i think maxxis make pretty poo ust tires. sure they mount easy, which is one of the main reasons i use them. i reckon michelin make far superior ust tires, but my fav tires the comp 16's dont really work in the widest of conditions. and especially since i have to pedal my dh bike about 2 miles to get to my riding spot, rolling resistance makes a big difference. (that being said, i am currently running cut down wet screams. )

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
3 flats in over 5 years (one of which was caused by a decent crash), they grip as well or better than anything else (esp on our typically loose dry surfaces over here), and they're way cheaper than the competition here. Also, as has been said, you get good choices of compound and tread pattern, everyone stocks them, and they basically just don't put a foot wrong. Hard to fault IMO.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
For Maxxis, what do you guys think is the most consistant. Everyone talks about a great line up, and it is, but I do about 5-8 races a year, I go to the mountains about another 12-15 times a year. I just hate trying to figure out what tire to use for what condition. I have been running Nevegals and I know a lot you hate them, but I like them because they seem ok to me in all conditions. Not great for any one but I spend time riding and not time changing tires.

For east coast riding and being too lazy to change tires what would be your Maxxis set up for east coast. I ride Platty, Diablo, Jimminy Peak, Killington.

Just wondering what your thoughts are, I used to run Minion F on the front and a Highroller on the back a few years ago. I am considering going back to this.

For trail riding I run Nevegal 2.35's and I love them on my xc/trail bike.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I was under the impression Specialized tires were made or at least use Maxxis compound...Can someone confirm this?

Ive tried all kind of tires and been on Minion Fr for more than 2 years and HR before that..They just work well for me.The Chunders are sticky, not bad for a winter tire around here but they dont rail as welll as my minions at high speed during summer months.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
For Maxxis, what do you guys think is the most consistant. Everyone talks about a great line up, and it is, but I do about 5-8 races a year, I go to the mountains about another 12-15 times a year. I just hate trying to figure out what tire to use for what condition. I have been running Nevegals and I know a lot you hate them, but I like them because they seem ok to me in all conditions. Not great for any one but I spend time riding and not time changing tires.

For east coast riding and being too lazy to change tires what would be your Maxxis set up for east coast. I ride Platty, Diablo, Jimminy Peak, Killington.

Just wondering what your thoughts are, I used to run Minion F on the front and a Highroller on the back a few years ago. I am considering going back to this.

Batts, I ran Minion 3C DHF's front and back all year round in all the same places you ride. They pack up a little bit, especially at Jiminy Peak, but it was never to the point of a major traction loss. I didn't flat once this year, though my racing was curtailed Aug-Nov.

Also, I like how consistently the bead sets up compared to Nevegals. It seemed to me (for the 1 year I used Neve's) that it was always a crapshoot as to how hard it would be to mount a Nevegal.

For trail, you know I am a glutton for punishment, but I ran a 3C 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.35 highroller in the back - I liked this combo.

EDIT: Next year, I will run a supertacky DHF up front and a 3C DHF in the back. The 3C's tend to last a bit longer.

Last edited:

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Batts, I ran Minion 3C DHF's front and back all year round in all the same places you ride. They pack up a little bit, especially at Jiminy Peak, but it was never to the point of a major traction loss. I didn't flat once this year, though my racing was curtailed Aug-Nov.

Also, I like how consistently the bead sets up compared to Nevegals. It seemed to me (for the 1 year I used Neve's) that it was always a crapshoot as to how hard it would be to mount a Nevegal.

For trail, you know I am a glutton for punishment, but I ran a 3C 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.35 highroller in the back - I liked this combo.

EDIT: Next year, I will run a supertacky DHF up front and a 3C DHF in the back. The 3C's tend to last a bit longer.
I know your thoughts Jim, was looking to see what others have to say. I liked the DHF's but I found they packed up a lot quicker even in a little mud.

I do not get flats, I do not think I have ever had one with a Nevegal, and mounting them has never really been an issue for me either, just with your rims:busted:.

I also have no wear issues with Nevegal's, I used the same set all season...

I think I heard somewhere that Kenda makes Specialized tires but I could be wrong.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Two flats in 7 years of living and guiding DH in the French Alps.

One was with a WetScream (single ply) and the other was running over a nail.

Well priced (free if you're lucky) and perform well consistently. They have a tyre for every condition.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

Highrollers do not pack up with mud as bad as the minions. I would also go with 2.7's.

Answer- 2.7 High rollers.

I change my tires often so i'm not saying that is the best but good for well rounded conditions and terrain. I really got back into the 2.7's last summer now that I am not as concerned about winning racing. They are a lot more supple in the rough stuff.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
For my riding, the DHf has been the best front tire without question. I spent one summer trying a lot of different tires on my ReignX and nothing came close for a front tire.

The back tire on the other hand.....I'm not tied to the DHf specifically. Been running a Conti Diesel Protection lately that I really like.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maxis are good priced, have a variety of different compounds and have many different yet good tire models (minion,high roller, wet scream, swamp thing(for some), larsen etc).
Imho they are not the best as you see the stuff that was mentioned the most often there wasn't the highest shelf possible but rather the most popular stuff.
I'm 100% positive that huchinson barracuda low are much much better than any maxis competitor I've tried but still the msrp is high and little ppl know it so there is less apeal of it in that topic. It's not about product quality but about the product awarness. Same goes for SRAM stuff, fox susp and mavic rims (well there is little serious competition here actualy)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

I rode the same places as you and ran a DHF/High Roller combo last year. Worked well. I switched to two DHFs this year and didn't notice a huge difference, but they might have rolled a bit faster. Also, they seemed to last a bit better as the braking edge on the HR gets a bit ragged. As far as mud, I never found them to be too bad, though most of my riding has been at Diablo, where the mud doesn't get too bad. I am lazy and don't like changing my tires that much and DHFs work for me.

If you want to strike a balance (particularly for races), you might want to consider something like getting two sets: DHF/HR or dual DHFs for intermediate and dry days and then maybe Swampthings for really sloppy days. I usually take a set of (old, dried out) Swampthings to races. If it's really sloppy and not too rocky, they'll be better than DHFs.

On a different note- it's funny that in the US it seems that Maxxis are the most expensive of the major brands. For ST or 3C Maxxis, you are generally paying more than Michelin and always more than Kenda.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I agree. I always like Mich's rubber compound- it sticks, but doesn't wear fast or roll to slow. But their tread designs annoy me. Comp 16 2.2- too small; Comp 16 2.5- knobs too tall and skinny; Comp 24- crappy in the wet; Comp 32- too big. I've run them all, but I just want one tire that will work in at least 80% of what I'm encountering. I don't think I should have to break out the clippers to get that.

Though I will say that I love Michelin AM and XC tires. I have All Mountain AT 2.2 USTs on my Prophet and a Mountain 2.3/Dry2 2.15 on my HT. I like all those, but if they made the Mountain 2.3 or the Dry2 2.3 in a UST version, I'd by 20 of them.

Last edited: