Quantcast

Breaking 29er RUMOR : Specialized to release 29er bikeS (as in plural)

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
After attending Interbike anyone that had any inclination towards not making a 29"er probably had their eyes opened just a bit! :clue:

I would imagine that the folks at Specialized keep pretty close tabs on what other manufacturers are doing. Since about 20 different companies showed 29"ers at the show, I would suspect the Big Red "S" knew about a fair number of those developements.

Let's say they were planning an '08 introduction and found out that they would be pretty much off the back by then. A sped up '07 intro would not be out of the question. Check out Cannondales '08 intro in the Caffeine 29"er that got moved up to an '07 as an example.

I have it on good authority that Trek is also strongly considering entering their own line of 29"ers soon, as well. We'll see!

I say, the more the merrier! :cheers:

p.s. Nice meeting you Shiggy at Interbike. I see you got the animated avatar "rolling" here!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Wow so they can sell a bicycle in which you could do your own build for using a different brand boutique frame cheaper and better...

Look at their current line of bikes and tell me you can't build up a turner, santa cruz, niner or other frame for the same cost..

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the quality of Big S frames of late really impresses me a lot - so to say they are inferior because they are produced in larger numbers, to me that's a stretch.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The only real item of interest (to me) in this would be whether or not SpecEd making 29er's would be the catalyst for Fox to produce 29er forks.

Honestly, I think it was an oversight or typo by the SpecEd rep.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
from the intranets:

Coming soon in a future issue of 29er Mountain Bike Action:

March 21, 2007, Morgan Hill, CA

Trusted Dealer,

Amid a great deal of rumor and speculation, we would like to formally announce to our trusted dealers that the 2008 Specialized product lineup will include a number of mountain bike models with 29-inch wheels. We wanted to tell you first; this information will be confirmed publicly later this week.

We could have introduced bikes with 29-inch wheels with our 2007 line, but to do so would've meant a rush to market that we were not comfortable with. We would never introduce a bike or other product until it absolutely lives up to the Specialized name; to do so would risk our reputation and your livelihood. Brandon Sloan and the rest of our mountain bike development team carefully studied, refined and improved every element of the 29" wheel platform. A rigorous product development cycle, including test riding by longtime Specialized racer and product developer Ned Overend, will ensure that our 29-inch wheeled bikes will be the best in the market. We are certain that we've created bikes that live up to the Specialized name.

We will reveal the exact models, pricing, specs, frame material and other details when we officially launch the product line. To generate buzz, we'll be releasing the first public mention of our 29-inch wheeled bikes on the Specialized Riders Club website, www.specializedriders.com. The Riders Club is filled with passionate riders from around the country and is the perfect place to start spreading the word and building excitement for this important new line of bikes.

Are your weekly shop rides on the Riders Club website? If not, email riders@specialized.com and we'll get you set up with everything you need to get involved!

Watch the Riders Club site later this week for the story and exclusive pictures!

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
How's a bout a 29er enduro.
Yes please. Although I'd settle for a 29er Stumpy with a 130mm fork.

God, I hope they push the market forward with a solid 5" 29er in addition to the 4" Epic 29er that's nearly definite... but I'm not really counting on it.

As for dissing 29ers then embracing them, it's basic marketing, and I don't fault them for it. Every company will deny, deny, deny and protect their current market up until the point they decide to move into a new market. It would be bad business to not go that route...