Breaking Newz: Lost Liberty Hotel" Proposed on David Souter's Land

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

# # #

Logan Darrow Clements
Freestar Media, LLC

Phone 310-593-4843
logan@freestarmedia.com
http://www.freestarmedia.com

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
N8 said:
Justice Souter's vote in the Kelo vs. City of New London decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.
This must be a tough call for you conservatives... On one hand Kelo vs. J.Crew central is a huge handout to corporations (these people's cribs tend to get razed to make way for Wal-Marts and Costcos), which is what you Conservatim seem to be all about.

On the other hand, Kelo vs. J.Crew central smells like 'big government', which I guess is a no-no in the eyes of Conservatives...

I find it odd that the conservatives conveniently forget about their 'big government' when they sing the praises of W's downright miserly administration.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
"Clements says his plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise additional capital for the project. "

They should just start an internet donation page.
I betcha they'd make some easy money...and it would show the public's interest.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
El Santo said:
This must be a tough call for you conservatives... On one hand Kelo vs. J.C
I find it odd that the conservatives conveniently forget about their 'big government' when they sing the praises of W's downright miserly administration.

Big government is okay when it's "our team" running it.

Or it has a mandate from God.

Either one.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
MudGrrl said:
"Clements says his plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise additional capital for the project. "

They should just start an internet donation page.
I betcha they'd make some easy money...and it would show the public's interest.

Hell I don't live in your country but I'd donate to that.....It's just so F***ing funny! :D :D :stupid: :nuts:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Note that the constitution mandates "just compensation" for eminent domain proceedings. This means that the owner is paid a market rate (as determined by an appraisal) for their land.

I don't know what's on the land Souter owns, but I'll guess it's a small house. The "as is" version of this land may be worth, let's call it $X. Now, say someone had a plan to put a hotel on this land. even though the hotel isn't there yet, if all the plans are approved, etc., the land becomes more valuable. Thus, Souter will likely end up coming out ahead in this whole deal, and someone will end up owning a hotel in a rotten location.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah but if you read that article.... it's been his family home for a looooong time. lota history tied up in it... he's been there since he was 11.
hurt to have yer pappys house taken from you by force.....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408505/

So in Spain they take your land and then make you pay for improvements to it.

Some of the harshest criticism has targeted the Valencia region's so-called land-grab law, which turns over control of private property to developers, giving them legal means to compel the owners to relinquish the land or buy it back.
In the case of the Belgian couple and their 7.5 acres, Rosello said, they will be granted about 2.5 acres around their house, with the remaining five acres being declared urban. Under the new law, they will be assessed roughly $1 million in charges for infrastructure improvements, he said.

If the couple does not want those five acres to be developed, Rosello said, they must pay the charges, like everyone with property zoned urban in the new plan. Their other option would be to sell the land to the developer.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408505/

So in Spain they take your land and then make you pay for improvements to it.
Then it gets better because the officials making the determination are all corrupt. Awesome.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15920312/

Hidalgo is the third Spanish mayor and one of dozens of public officials arrested this year, accused of granting building permits or re-classifying land in exchange for bribes.
Over that time [last 10 years], the total area classified as “urban” has grown by a quarter, and whole villages have been swallowed up by massive developments of apartment blocks, particularly near Madrid and on the Mediterranean coast.

So far police have arrested about 70 politicians, civil servants and businessmen in the Marbella probe, which has captivated Spain with tales of councilors’ film-star lifestyles and bribe money arriving stuffed in rubbish bags.