Quantcast

Breaks Avid Juicy 7 vs Avid Mechanical BB7

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
Mechanicals are lighter, easy to work on, and just plain work… all the time! The Juicys feel sweet and will probably give more power (althought not sure if it is THAT much better), but I don’t know if the price, and maintenance is worth it. This will be an 8” rotor setup on a FR/DH bike and I am 180 lbs. I really want to run the juicy’s but I don’t want to be working on my breaks all the time. Plus I will have to get different rotors to calm the noise problems. What do you think?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
You mean your brakes right?? OOOO okay. Go with the Juicy 7's. They are awesome. The power is there all the time and they have the little adjustment knob on em. By far the nicest and easiest to maintain brake system I have ever used.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Go with the Juicy for sure. I've had mine for about 8 months. There on my vpfree and I ride mostly freeridish stuff with a race thrown in once a month or so. So far I've had zero mechanical problems.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
rpk1988 said:
You mean your brakes right?? OOOO okay. Go with the Juicy 7's. They are awesome. The power is there all the time and they have the little adjustment knob on em. By far the nicest and easiest to maintain brake system I have ever used.
Crap... brakes! I need to learn to type someday.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
ncrider said:
Go with the Juicy for sure. I've had mine for about 8 months. There on my vpfree and I ride mostly freeridish stuff with a race thrown in once a month or so. So far I've had zero mechanical problems.
Sweet. Didn't have any noise issues with the stock rotors?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've been loving my juicys. Super easy to setup and great adjustability.
IMO, go with the juicy 5s. The extra adjustment on the 7s doesn't really do enough to make it worth the $$$

Stay away from mechs for real DH riding. They are fine for a budget trail bike, but they just dont have the power, modulation, or durability of a hydro. I will never buy a brake cable again.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
buildyourown said:
I've been loving my juicys. Super easy to setup and great adjustability.
IMO, go with the juicy 5s. The extra adjustment on the 7s doesn't really do enough to make it worth the $$$

Stay away from mechs for real DH riding. They are fine for a budget trail bike, but they just dont have the power, modulation, or durability of a hydro. I will never buy a brake cable again.
Yep, my Juicy 5s are awesome brakes. The rotors developed the shuddering that everyone seems to be experiencing, but I swapped to Hayes rotors and the problem was solved. Don't bother with mechanical brakes. Hydros are better in every way.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've had my Juicy 5's for several months now, and have been seriously impressed with how well they stop. Unfortunately, I had my first problem with them last week when I was loading my bike into the truck for a ride. As I picked the bike up, I noticed that the rear wheel wasn't spinning at all. The pistons had hydro-locked onto the rotor, and wouldn't retract at all. After trying every trick I knew, I sucked it up and took it to the LBS to see what they thought. They fiddled with it for a few days, but couldn't get it to take fluid past the caliper. The LBS didn't have the small parts kit for the Juicy's as I was the first person in the area to report such a problem. So I was the impetus for them to experiment. Avid had no clue what was going on, so they're sending me a whole new rear brake as a result. IMO, I think the problem lay somewhere in the banjo fitting that goes into the caliper. To adjust the hose angle, you have to loosen the banjo bolt just enough to where it moves, but any more and you start sucking air into the system........not the best design idea, but other than that, I absolutely love these brakes. I've had no problems with the front brake, so it leads me to believe that it was just a freak problem, so I don't have any issues with sticking to these brakes for the duration. I've always had good experiences with Avid products, so I'll continue to support them despite this little hiccup.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
i run the juicy 7s on my DH bike and theyre the best brakes ive ever used imo.

go for the juicys over the mechanicals any day

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
Greyhound said:
I've had my Juicy 5's for several months now, and have been seriously impressed with how well they stop. Unfortunately, I had my first problem with them last week when I was loading my bike into the truck for a ride. As I picked the bike up, I noticed that the rear wheel wasn't spinning at all. The pistons had hydro-locked onto the rotor, and wouldn't retract at all. After trying every trick I knew, I sucked it up and took it to the LBS to see what they thought. They fiddled with it for a few days, but couldn't get it to take fluid past the caliper. The LBS didn't have the small parts kit for the Juicy's as I was the first person in the area to report such a problem. So I was the impetus for them to experiment. Avid had no clue what was going on, so they're sending me a whole new rear brake as a result. IMO, I think the problem lay somewhere in the banjo fitting that goes into the caliper. To adjust the hose angle, you have to loosen the banjo bolt just enough to where it moves, but any more and you start sucking air into the system........not the best design idea, but other than that, I absolutely love these brakes. I've had no problems with the front brake, so it leads me to believe that it was just a freak problem, so I don't have any issues with sticking to these brakes for the duration. I've always had good experiences with Avid products, so I'll continue to support them despite this little hiccup.

This illustrates the problem exaclty. You love your Juicy's but they also locked up on you and caused some downtime, which would never happen to the mecahnicals. But I guess you still love them so it sounds like it is worth the risk for easier one finger braking.

F-it. I am in on the Juicys!

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I have both one the BB on a yeti 575 and the Juicy's on my DH bike and the juicy's work better by far. The BB do not modulate very good they are on or off with the 203 mm rotors. The Hydraulic modulate better and are fade free.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Between Juicy 5s and BB7s, what would you guys pick? The sLBS is selling a pair of BBs for less than one Juicy, which is sorta tempting - except I have some cash and am starting a brand spanking full susser so I don't want to skimp too badly on stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
descender said:
Mechanicals are lighter, easy to work on, and just plain work… all the time!

That's almost right, except for the "mechanicals are lighter" part. Mechanicals are significantly heavier, the caliper is significantly heavier. They can be easy to work on, some of the hayes mechs are a PITA to work on, but some of the avids are a welcomed relief after working on those hayes. They just plain work, but they don't seem to dissapate heat as well and the feel isn't quite as good, but the "feel" is admittedly subjective.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
descender said:
This illustrates the problem exaclty. You love your Juicy's but they also locked up on you and caused some downtime, which would never happen to the mecahnicals. But I guess you still love them so it sounds like it is worth the risk for easier one finger braking.
F-it. I am in on the Juicys!
Yes.....I understand what you're saying. I did forget to mention that I ran the same set of mechanicals for two years straight on several different bikes with no problems at all---further strengthening your point, I guess. But I viewed it as a step-up in the quality of the braking, and boy was it. You would be amazed if you ran both types. I thought I had my mechanicals set up really well.......didn't take much to activate them---and that's how I like braking(personal preference, yo). But the second those hydro's pads bedded-in, it was like night and day. They keep getting stronger with each ride. I mean, it sucks that I've had a little down-time with this issue.....but f*ck it---sometimes things break, and you must exercise some patience every now and then to get it straightened out. Unless it's handlebars, fork or frame that breaks, I'll generally stick with a company's products if I like them even if there is a minor hiccup here and there. Go for the Juicy's.......seriously, you won't be disappointed.

J

JRB

I couldn't be happier with my Juicy 7s. That said, I would buy the 5s instead next time.