Quantcast

Breckenridge, CO snowboarding?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, thinking about making a trip back out "home" to Colorado to go snowboarding this coming winter. Just wondering if anyone on here has been there recently. My aunt has a house up there so I'd have a free place to stay. Only thing is, I heard it's gotten to be super crowded and lift lines are insane! Just wondering if anyone here thinks it's worth the trip or if I should just stick to Mammoth/Mt. High (getting passes to both). The park looks sick though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnCzcTuLrYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnCzcTuLrYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

i was there this past winter and my expectations were pretty low. but, of course, i was pleasantly surprised. i'm sure the 18inches of fresh pow had something to do with it. but, as long as I stayed on the advanced terrain, crowds were minimal. the imperial express, really opens up some killer lines when the coverage is good. I was doing laps off that and 6-chair all day. The lifties and locals are friendly, bars are plentiful, food in town is reasonably priced.

if you've got a free place to crash, i think it's a no-brainer. keystone, a-basin, and loveland are a short drive away if you want variety.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
i was there this past winter and my expectations were pretty low. but, of course, i was pleasantly surprised. i'm sure the 18inches of fresh pow had something to do with it. but, as long as I stayed on the advanced terrain, crowds were minimal. the imperial express, really opens up some killer lines when the coverage is good. I was doing laps off that and 6-chair all day. The lifties and locals are friendly, bars are plentiful, food in town is reasonably priced.

if you've got a free place to crash, i think it's a no-brainer. keystone, a-basin, and loveland are a short drive away if you want variety.
Ya, that's all I like to do is the more advanced terrain. Last time I was there I spent all day constantly doing lake Chutes and the Imperial bowl.

Hmmm, since the price of lift tickets is pretty high for crazy crowds...anyone have any suggestions for places in Alaska possibly? I really want to go heliboarding.

i've been snowboarding in AK as well. but, only in and around anchorage. Alyeska is the ski resort up there. It's pretty good; fun steep terrain. I spent most of my short time there in the backcountry. Just hoofin' it up in snowshoes and snowboarding down. My Ex's brother and his buddies showed me around mostly. Definitely go out with someone knowledgeable of the terrain and conditions. Avalanches EVERYWHERE. I believe most of the Heli is done out of valdez/juneau, but I'm fairly certain there is an outfit in the anchorage area, but the name escapes me.

AK is some steep ass gnarly ****. I consider it a couple notches above some of the terrain i've ridden at Jackson. The minute you don't respect that, she'll kill you.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i honestly dont have many days at breck. it is a big area with lots of terrain to cover. i never got any good snow there and it was always colder than ****. i dont remember the lift lines being any worse than anywhere else and nothing as bad as vail. also If you can stay in breckenridge, doesnt mean you have to go ride there. its within striking distance of most of the other big areas.
I had my best in bounds CO powder at copper. got snowed in at a friends condo one night and got probably 20th chair next morning while it was still snowing and continued all day, choking on face shots. 3'+ of light pow in places. i always had the pass to there and wp. at the big resorts just go monday through thursday and the crowds are not that bad. some people i know are all about loveland because of the lower price, smaller crowds, and old school feel. they still get some decent snow too. absolute best in co would be silverton if you can swing the drive. if going out there then you might as well hit dmr, telluride etc. wolf creeks kinda overrated. steamboat is very expensive but probably worth it if you have never skied aspens. ****ing love aspens.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
hey, that's where i tore my last remaining ACL.
ya, the crowds are ridiculous, the fact that it's so easy to get lost almost guarantees that a good amount of gapers are gonna be anywhere you go, and the park is pretty gay. The pipe is nice, but slopestyle-wise, they got some super baby jumps, some okay jumps, and then some stupid huge jumps, along with an OK selection of rails. If you're hitting slopestyle tho, their lips are a bit off, and unless you top out at about 30 feet, or are hitting 60 and above, there's no in-between. go to copper or keystone if you come out here.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Pretty much anything in Summit County is going to be busy. Next year I'm not getting any pass to a Summit resort. I want to spend more time riding than waiting in a lift line. Even on Fridays its getting busy up there, apparently no one works in Denver anymore.

I'll wait for big storms and head to SW Colorado. I did more of that this year, less riding days overall, but most of them were very good. Wolf Creek is not overrated; its a small, not very steep mountain...that gets absolutely barfed on with snow regularly. I rode it this year when they got 5 feet in 7 days, nothing sucks with that much snow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pretty much anything in Summit County is going to be busy. Next year I'm not getting any pass to a Summit resort. I want to spend more time riding than waiting in a lift line. Even on Fridays its getting busy up there, apparently no one works in Denver anymore.

I'll wait for big storms and head to SW Colorado. I did more of that this year, less riding days overall, but most of them were very good. Wolf Creek is not overrated; its a small, not very steep mountain...that gets absolutely barfed on with snow regularly. I rode it this year when they got 5 feet in 7 days, nothing sucks with that much snow.
Beware La Nina...