Quantcast

Brecktobercross, report.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Saturday was my first cross race of the season. Held in Breckenridge, at altitude, it seemed like a great way to get things going.

The course was at the Nordic center, XC ski trails and pavement. There was a set of triple barriers, a nice big run up, and two hairpin sketchy turns on the pavement transitions. The paved section was long, I think a little over a mile. The over all course length was aprox 5 k, maybe a little more.

I raced 4's, which may seem lame, but let me tell you, I still got thumped pretty good. There is always amazing riders here in CO. There were over 40 starters in my class. Start was hairy, and the first lap was basically trying not to crash with all the dust and riders everywhere.

I survived the race, and finished like 34th. The pain is always worth it though. I had a blast. :)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Squeak did a great job. Just finishing these races makes you tough.

This was my first cx race ever. Obviously I raced in the 4s.. which meant i only had one other women to race against but i knew I needed to start there. My technique is BAD.

There were only 6 of us women out there and the leader, the only pro was on fire...

I prerode the course twice so I had a pretty good idea of where all the hairy sections were. I had a really fun race, I was neck in the neck with the other girl in my cat for most of the race. She would beat me at the barriers because she has been racing cross for a while and had much better technique but i would pass her on the dh , pavement and climbs every lap.. The race was going well and I actually had a decent lead and was psyched after the last remount that I was pretty far ahead... then dooommmm struck. I dont really know what happened but i was coming downhill and i think there was a turn and i just hit a rock or something and lost complete control of my bike. Im just not used to not having suspension... next thing i knew i was in the air and then smacked down on the ground... first my knee hit then somehow my elbow and then chest. It took the wind out of me, and for a second I actually shed a tear. The girl I was racing was nice enough to stop to see if I was ok... I assured her I was and told her to go. I slowly got my chain back on and rode my messed up bike to the finish slowly. Visited the medic vehicle and got bandaged up AGAIN and that was that. DFL... with a black and blue swollen knee and a chest that aches every time i breathe in!

Oh well despite the crash I had a great time and I was so proud of myself for not quitting. That is a tough sport!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
It was great watching the race unfold Jo. You two were well matched and we were all watching for you on the last lap, expecting to see you in front!

You would have had it but for the crash. You rode a great race!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
NICE write-ups people!!!!

Congrats to both of you...cross IS hard! Sorry for your crash Jo, you sound like me. :) :(

Are cross courses typically that far of a distance? The two I have done are wayyyy shoorter laps so I do like 15 laps.

Thanks again for the write-ups and keep up the hard work.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Depends really. This course was longer than normal. That paved section was where I lost time. I forgot to draft or anything. :)

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I don't think I've ever seen a course that long. Thanks for making me want to buy a new CX bike to replace the one I just sold...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
cool / good job !

a mile of road, that does seem long

but I'm dumb...what's "I raced in the 4s" a catagory, correct?
whats is that compared to xc's sport, expert, etc?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
douglas said:
cool / good job !

a mile of road, that does seem long

but I'm dumb...what's "I raced in the 4s" a catagory, correct?
whats is that compared to xc's sport, expert, etc?
Well Cat 4 is like supposed to be beginner type stuff, but around here, it's not.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
JOJO said:
Yea fun in a really massochistic sort of way :eek:
I agree. When it's cold and snot is hanging out my nose, my legs don't want to hop anymore barriers, I'm gasping for breath after the 14th time up the hike-a-bike.... :dancing: I really AM having fun. :D

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
just got back from the doc. he took xrays and it turns out i have two cracked ribs.. :( no riding for a bit.... booooooooooooo