Quantcast

brembo vs........

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
#1 Gustav - proven and arguably most powerful, look at sheer size of pads and pistons.
#2 6 Pot - distant 4th or 5th, with reguard to power, behind hayes, Avid, XT ETC
#3 Brembo - no history in MTB

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've never had much reliability with the gustavs, plus they are just unnecessarily heavy these days.

I've had great luck with the hopes, 200mm M4s.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
This will be my 3rd season on magura Gustav's and I don't think that I would want to ride anything else at this point. No one know how strong the brembo's actually are, and you would be hard pressed to find any brake thats 'stronger' than the Gustav's. The gustav's are a little heavier than your standard brake, but you won't notice the difference once you take your bike off the gram scale and get it on the trail. As far as reliability goes, I set my gustav's up and then every month or so when im changing tires or just have the wheels off, I pull the caliper off the 'pins' and clean the 'pins' , this ensures that the brakes run drag free and keeps them working top notch.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
DS Dom said:
I set my gustav's up and then every month or so when im changing tires or just have the wheels off, I pull the caliper off the 'pins' and clean the 'pins' , this ensures that the brakes run drag free and keeps them working top notch.
Excellent tip, thanks!:thumb: :thumb:

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
The Gustav beats the Saint/XT easily. It's heavier but has more power, good modulation too. Can't say about the Hope, never tried them. Lots of my friends have been running them for a while witn no problems. I guess it depends on your application. I switched from XT/Saint to Gustav for my Shore/Whistler bike for the lower effort since hand/forearm fatigue tendes to be the end of day signal for me. The Gustav levers are the best in my opinion, they are less damage prone than the others (i.e. catching lever ripping mastercylinder piston out).

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Has anyone even seen a picture of the Brembros? Brembro certainly knows their stuff, they could definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Magura Louise fr's beat all, more power than anything but the Gustav and M6 and lighter than anything in the catagory, a perfect balance

Also anybody know where I mite be able to see these Brembo brakes, I can't find mutch of anything on them. Their website meerly says they exist, no close-ups or anything.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dhkid said:
must be something wrong with your pads. serious.
The Hope M6 brakes are NOT powerful. They are hyped up to be a great breaking system with tons of power but are outclassed by 2 piston systems. Every brake I have felt has felt better than hopes (except El Caminos).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wonder if anyone elses experiences mirror my own;

My mono M4s don't seem to have a ton of power when I'm riding in the parking lot at those kinds of speeds, but the faster I go, the more power they seem to have, enough that I can lock up the wheel if I choose at speed.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i think the m6 are not as powerful as the m4's but they both must be set up perfectly and bled with the caliper above mastercylinder or i find they lack a bit of power.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Dom:
This will be my 3rd season on magura Gustav's and I don't think that I would want to ride anything else at this point. No one know how strong the brembo's actually are, and you would be hard pressed to find any brake thats 'stronger' than the Gustav's. The gustav's are a little heavier than your standard brake, but you won't notice the difference once you take your bike off the gram scale and get it on the trail. As far as reliability goes, I set my gustav's up and then every month or so when im changing tires or just have the wheels off, I pull the caliper off the 'pins' and clean the 'pins' , this ensures that the brakes run drag free and keeps them working top notch.
Dom - I'm a local from Diablo and was checking out Lars' Gustavs at the Open last year... these are the ones with the floating caliper right? They "float" on the pins. Do you know if he's running them on his Sunday for this year? I heard he's back on I.H. so I'm assuming he's got a Sunday... How's the modulation with them? I'm running Hayes Mags, so unless I have certain pads in them and a perfect bleed, they're kinda mediocre sometimes...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
S.K.C. said:
Dom:

Dom - I'm a local from Diablo and was checking out Lars' Gustavs at the Open last year... these are the ones with the floating caliper right? They "float" on the pins. Do you know if he's running them on his Sunday for this year? I heard he's back on I.H. so I'm assuming he's got a Sunday... How's the modulation with them? I'm running Hayes Mags, so unless I have certain pads in them and a perfect bleed, they're kinda mediocre sometimes...
Depending on the bleed you give the gustavs (and the fluid you use) they can have tons of modulation with lots of power or no modulation and lots of power.