Quantcast

Bring It, Muffin.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Today I was feeling rested so I determined to give Muffin a run for his money – or at least impress the locals. After a moderate 15 mile ride in which I averaged 17.5 MPH I hit two dead sprints on level ground with a 12-15 MPH wind at my back.

The first sprint was from a stop where I was balancing while waiting for the light. Starting off in 39/18 and powering down 39/14 within ½ and 20 MPH before hitting the big ring (53) and dropping down to 16 I was at 25 MPH by the end of the first block. At this point I get off the saddle and lean into the front wheel while gripping the top of the hoods – this brings me to 30.9 by the end of the second block in 39/15. I know I have more in me so drop it into 14 then 13 then 12 all the while remaining on the hoods with my torso over the bars so that I am powering back (like of the blocks in track) rather than down. I’m using my back and stomach muscles as well as my legs. I hit 33, 33.1 and drop back into the high 32s – at this point I have two blocks before a traffic signal and it is clear. I shift into 11 but falter so I quickly drop to 12 or 13 and grip the forward drops with everything I have while still remaining off the saddle. I’m at 34 in a flash and think I can break 35 with just a little more go but… that was all she wrote, I didn’t budge from 34 and only held it for about 2 blocks before dropping back down to the much lower 30s.

I dropped back down to 25 and gave it a rest for a ¼ mile when I attempted to repeat what I had just done but… 31 was all I could muster the 2nd time around. After that it is not my legs that are tired – its my shoulders and forearms.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Maybe you were too tense? I know when I'm too amp'd on top of a bump course, I get a stiff neck at the bottom. I actually have slightly better runs when I'm slightly fatigued as I'm not ampin' anymore, warmed up, and more focused.
With that said, the rush of a good first run is VERY addicting :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
that's all you got with a 15mph tail wind? dude i was doing 32 sitting up drinking and taking down a gu with a 15/20 tail wind.
btw why are you sprinting on the hoods? i get my best balance and power out of the drops.
good practice for building upper body strength (and build power in the legs) is to do standing workouts. i do a mile loop standing in a 53/12 but try to keep the pace and heart rate low 20/21 and the rpm's bout 60.
I do a ‘ladder’ type workout where I do 1 standing like that then do 1 sitting in the same gear. Then I do 2 standing, 2 sitting and repeat adding a lap each time till I get tired.
I went out one day and just did as many consecutive standing laps I could until I got tired (or board) and I did 9. Then a couple of weeks later I was doing an endurance mtb race and broke my saddle off 2 miles into a 10 mile lap. Instead of going back and losing time and having to scrub that lap I found a buddy and he paced me in to the next 8 miles. That totally rocked. Everyone was like wow that dude doenst have a saddle. Then the people that came in after me were like yea and he hasn’t had it for a LONG time :)

OHHHHHH btw i've also clocked 185 rpms...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Glad it's not just me who gets sore shoulders. Specifically, my rear deltoids. My triceps get pretty tired, too. I have never experinced sore forearms though.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
I did 28 miles in some wind last night at about 19 mph and my shoulders are on fire today.
That's different than the type of riding SM was doing. If I'm not mistaken, he was doing short, intense intervals.

besides, you're a huge fvcking pussy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You sissies need to hit some weights.
Your arms and back need to cash the check your legs write. Core and upper body training is just as important as getting your legs and cardio system in shape.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
That's different than the type of riding SM was doing. If I'm not mistaken, he was doing short, intense intervals.

besides, you're a huge fvcking pussy.
You don't thinkg there were some sprints involved. I started late and chased the whole ride, just barely missing getting on the train. Mean spirited c**t. :think: :eviltongu

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
You don't thinkg there were some sprints involved. I started late and chased the whole ride, just barely missing getting on the train. Mean spirited c**t. :think: :eviltongu
You did 19mph in a draft line? I assume that's what you meant by train.

Even my fatass lazy ass can get over 20 on a train!!!!

And we have officially kicked off, Loco-Bash day Ladies and Gents. Please join in on beating on him in every thread possible. Viva la April 27.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
LordOpie said:

And we have officially kicked off, Loco-Bash day Ladies and Gents. Please join in on beating on him in every thread possible. Viva la April 27.
GIRLS!!!!! this thread is about me so take that stuff elsewhere and get back on topic - The Toninator is a bad ass :thumb:

J

JRB

LordOpie said:

Chasing would indicate that I never got on, dumb ass. :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
missed & chased implies that you were barely hanging on the back... you were getting some benes from the train, but having a hard time keeping up at 19mph :blah:

:D

Let's actively ignore Toni.

I think someone slipped funny stuff in my cereal this morning.

Oh wait, I didn't eat anything.

Tonight's the last night for almost two weeks to ride... friggin' weather sux.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
missed & chased implies that you were barely hanging on the back... you were getting some benes from the train, but having a hard time keeping up at 19mph :blah:

:D

Let's actively ignore Toni.

I think someone slipped funny stuff in my cereal this morning.

Oh wait, I didn't eat anything.

Tonight's the last night for almost two weeks to ride... friggin' weather sux.
If that were the case, I would have said, "barely hanging on". :think:

Who's Tony???

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you are really pushing it, you have to throw your bike around to turn the big gear, so your arms and shoulders have to get involved. I could see burning up your upper body...

On that note, 34 with a 15 mph tailwind is decent, but nothing to write about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sanjuro said:
If you are really pushing it, you have to throw your bike around to turn the big gear, so your arms and shoulders have to get involved. I could see burning up your upper body...

34 with a 15 mph tailwind comes to about 380 watts. Not bad if you sustain it for 10 minutes but nothing special for a sprint.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
GIRLS!!!!! this thread is about me so take that stuff elsewhere and get back on topic - The Toninator is a bad ass :thumb:
Yeah you are. And yes - that was the best I could do with a 15 MPH tail wind. I think maybe I am just a weiner. :think:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
sanjuro said:
Like I said... it was good for me and besides, most guys would have said slight tailwind or just left that information out altogether. As for something to write about... bite me. :blah:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Westy said:
34 with a 15 mph tailwind comes to about 380 watts. Not bad if you sustain it for 10 minutes but nothing special for a sprint.
Jeeze you b**chs are catty today. I never claimed to be lance Armstrong. Did I? :think:

My sustainable speed with that type of a tail wind is probably 28 or 29.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Serial Midget said:
Jeeze you b**chs are catty today. I never claimed to be lance Armstrong. Did I? :think:

My sustainable speed with that type of a tail wind is probably 28 or 29.
You called out the muffin. You better have your ducks in a row if you call out the muffin.

That said I tried to sprint yesterday and I could only get up to 31. I suck at sprints and short power output.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Westy said:
You called out the muffin. You better have your ducks in a row if you call out the muffin.

That said I tried to sprint yesterday and I could only get up to 31. I suck at sprints and short power output.
A nice tail wind would have done ya good. :)

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Serial Midget said:
After that it is not my legs that are tired – its my shoulders and forearms.
Yea, you'd be surprised how much core strength goes into sprinting...it's amazing. My lower back/abdomen/arms are always sore after I do something sprinting or power related...it's great. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
axlvid23 said:
Yea, you'd be surprised how much core strength goes into sprinting...it's amazing. My lower back/abdomen/arms are always sore after I do something sprinting or power related...it's great. :)
SM's such a newbie. I don't know how many times I've told him this.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Serial Midget said:
Yeah you are. And yes - that was the best I could do with a 15 MPH tail wind. I think maybe I am just a weiner. :think:
Re-calibrate that speedometer dude, I bet you're getting a slow reading.

Or the other ladies in this thread have their's set up generously.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
H8R said:
Re-calibrate that speedometer dude, I bet you're getting a slow reading.

Or the other ladies in this thread have their's set up generously.
I think mine was set for 23mm so... the difference shouldn't be that much. I'm thinking 50 PSI will make a significant impact but I'm not willing to rum them until the roads have been swept free of winter debris. Plus they're so damn cushy and I just got a new saddle... :oink: