Quantcast

broke another Fuel 100

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Well, the 2001 broke on the weld on seat post tube just above the rocker plate pivot. trhe 2002 broke on the seat post tube where it joins the top tube (again at the weld). The neat part is I keep getting new frames. And now Trek is giving me custom paint!

And it's a free re-build, so time for new parts (see next thread)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by JohnEZ
Well, the 2001 broke on the weld on seat post tube just above the rocker plate pivot. trhe 2002 broke on the seat post tube where it joins the top tube (again at the weld). The neat part is I keep getting new frames. And now Trek is giving me custom paint!

dude you rock, i cant wait till i break my first frame:D

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by The Toninator

RM he's a lawyer, i think he's just looking for a free ride:D
LOL no wonder hes getting custom paint!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
They screwed up by ever selling him a bike and "TELLING" him in print that the bike could handle the abuse he could give it. He will own them and Rolf before it's all over, heheheh:monkey:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by JohnEZ

The frames break because people don´t put enough seatpost lenght into de seat tube.

It should be at least under the weld with the top tube.

I´ve seen some broken Fuels and they´re all because of this reason.

Attachments

JohnEZ

Chimp
Oct 10, 2001
Houston, Texas
Your pic shows the break perfectly tracking along the weld for the flanged section of the seat tube. Trek admits they had it wrong - says that the flange at the top of the seat tube has been removed - now it's one solid piece. Roland Green's Fuel 100's seat tube has virtually no aluminum above the junction with the top tube; Trek cut it down to only allow room for the seat post clamp.

Good pic though.

JohnEZ
Trek Unofficial R&D Engineer

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Originally posted by strakos

The frames break because people don´t put enough seatpost lenght into de seat tube.

It should be at least under the weld with the top tube.

I´ve seen some broken Fuels and they´re all because of this reason.

Hey....I took that picture and was going to post it here:D

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Originally posted by strakos

You posted it on the empty-beer board once, remember?
Yeah, I remember. As to typical empy-beer the guy who owned it saw the post and was pissed. He thought I had it in for him and his bike. I did get another recently that is at home of a Sugar that is broken on the chainstay at the BB pivot. That guy was pretty stoked since it happened at the finish of a race and he was able to coast across the finish line!

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
There was a review of a K2 bike in Dirt Rag issue 87 where the tester had problems with a weld similar to that one, it seems the bike wasn't big enough. I'll go dig it up...