Quantcast

Broke my toe.. can i still ride?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Well I dropped something on my big toe at work last night and the x-ray confirms a fracture. The pain isnt so bad, and swelling has gone down. I even checked if i could squeeze into my Mtn bike shoes and I did. I have to go to the podiatrist on thursday, but I feel they will tell me to rest it.. so Here's my question...

I was hoping to go to a Fat tire Festival on Sunday. Has anyone gone mtn biking (clipless) with a broken toe? If i am not feeling tremendous pain is it still ok to ride? , am I screwing it it up even more?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I did 15 races, way too many freeride days and a lot of hike a bikes in clipless shoes on a broken left big toe.

Broke it mid june last year and although there was some pain at times I got used to it after about 15 minutes and enjoyed riding.

Just try not to pull up on the the pedal with that foot too much, obviously you will but try to minimize as much as possible.

You will be fine.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If you have stiff soles, you won't even notice.

There's some high percentage of people with a broken toe this second that don't even know it, but most statistics are made up anyways.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
With jsut a fracture?????? It will pretty much be SUre as long as you can handle the bit of pain your going to get. If its more than just a simple fracture, and yo have bone that is feemoving, then no. But it that was the case, the doctor would have told you so.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think its only an issue if you've ripped your toenail really bad or basically off. At least that was the case for my friend.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I fractured my hand in 4 places racing in Angel Fire and I'm still out riding. Actually, I'm out riding motocross instead because It's easier on my hand right now. If i'm out doing 110' jumps with a fractured hand, you can still ride with a broken toe ;)

FYI, my philosophy is if it is not hurting you so badly that you loose all your riding focus then you're good to go! Now get out and ride!!!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
pain wasnt the problem.. it was the possibility of screwing it up even more i was worried about... Went for a small ride today and everything looks ok!!!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I don't understand why people must ask the internet mundane questions about their own lives.

My pee was a little dark this morning, you think I should call in to work?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I don't understand why people must ask the internet mundane questions about their own lives.

My pee was a little dark this morning, you think I should call in to work?

well lets see ..

This is a mountain bike forum and in it are people who ride, (usually) So the odds of someone who rode a mountain bike with a broken toe are much greater than me asking the question on a better homes and garden forum.
I guess i should have stuck with my original post of me being an adolescent and smacking up my car or something..

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
I asked my Orthopedic Surgeon, one time, if I could race with my injured rotator cuff... She said, "I don't know... Can you race? Either you can or you can't."
I thought that was a good point, but it did sound kinda odd coming from a doctor. (I suppose being an NFL team doctor might have had something to do with her saying it like that.)