Quantcast

broken collarbone

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i broke my collarbone into 3 pieces on 1-25:imstupid: have any of u guys had this injury, will i be able to dh this season, and how strong did the bone heal?
i really dont trust doctors, they call their work "practice" and all us racers know what happens in practice.
so im looking for a second opinion from someone who has gone through it

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
3 places will require surgery and plates. I highly doubt that you will be riding hard this season. There is a lot of rest and rehab for that injury. If you want to be an idiot and ride anyway then be my guest but it is not going to make it better and it will mess it up more. Let it fully heal and make sure you stay on top of it. I have seen people that have broken theirs and just blew it off and started over doing it and they still have some pretty serious problems from it. I broke mine and I let it run its course, now I completely forgot which side broke, it healed perfectly.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I broke mine in late July, shattered it into 4 small pieces. With surgery I would have been back to riding within 3-4 weeks. I opted not to do surgery and was riding by September. Last year some retard who mooches off me broke his collar bone when we were up in VT. He had to get surgery and he raced at the US Open and I think he broke it in March. He'll correct me if I'm wrong about the time.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
when you shattered it into 4 pieces where they in line or were they pointing in all different directions? mine were all over the place i have to go back and get another x ray monday to see if the bones lined up better on their own? the dr used the term shattered describing the break
why did you pass on surgury?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
when you shattered it into 4 pieces where they in line or were they pointing in all different directions? mine were all over the place i have to go back and get another x ray monday to see if the bones lined up better on their own? the dr used the term shattered describing the break
why did you pass on surgury?
Mine shattered so that it was like 4 steps from one piece to the other so they just healed together. I passed on surgery because it wasn't needed. You'll probably need surgery. But you probably won't miss any races.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i broke mine in two places. i opted not to do surgery like fortenndu, so it took some time to heal up. i was on my bike in 4 weeks, but just riding on the street, not DHing.
it took me a good 2 months before i felt okay to ride.
ive fallen on it a ton even afterwards and its still held up

good luck

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
thanks, well as long as i can ride the racing can wait another season
You'll be able to race. Once it starts feeling better and you're comfortable moving around start riding on rollers or on a stationary bike. (2 weeks after surgery) Don't just sit around, go on walks and do stuff like that. If you get surgery you'll probably get it mid week so you'll probably be able to start working on your arm around mid april. Get some 2-4 pound weights and do simple motions. Get some grip masters and use them often. Do that every chance you get but don't over do it. Once the small muscles are feeling good again(late april) start doing lifting with 20-30 lbs. Then work up from there.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
You'll be able to race. Once it starts feeling better and you're comfortable moving around start riding on rollers or on a stationary bike. (2 weeks after surgery) Don't just sit around, go on walks and do stuff like that. If you get surgery you'll probably get it mid week so you'll probably be able to start working on your arm around mid april. Get some 2-4 pound weights and do simple motions. Get some grip masters and use them often. Do that every chance you get but don't over do it. Once the small muscles are feeling good again(late april) start doing lifting with 20-30 lbs. Then work up from there.
it feels real good now that itchy tingly feeling very little to no pain, and the clunking cracking sound happens maybe once a day. your after surgery comment is a little discouraging im hoping that the dr. has been "practicing" long enough that his comment "more often than not people dont need surgery" is correct. i have been doing a lot of walking around, keeping busy somehow

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
it feels real good now that itchy tingly feeling very little to no pain, and the clunking cracking sound happens maybe once a day. your after surgery comment is a little discouraging im hoping that the dr. has been "practicing" long enough that his comment "more often than not people dont need surgery" is correct. i have been doing a lot of walking around, keeping busy somehow
The drugs are pretty awesome. I only took them for a bout 4 days then I couldn't stand being confused so stopped. If the doctor leans more towards surgery, go for it. I know people who didn't and regret it now.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
i broke my collarbone into 3 pieces on 1-25:imstupid: have any of u guys had this injury, will i be able to dh this season, and how strong did the bone heal?
i really dont trust doctors, they call their work "practice" and all us racers know what happens in practice.
so im looking for a second opinion from someone who has gone through it

Broke my right clavical (collarbone) late September of 2006. Some of you may remember a kid laying down by the top of gondola at Diablo. Walked around in a sling for 2 weeks with the bone sticking out roughly 2 inches(time to let swelling go down before surgery), followed by the surgery and newly installed plate & 8 screws. I was back snowboarding by mid-February of 2007 & $6,000 later for screws and a plate worth maybe, oh $5.

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
broke mine in august racing bmx and in november first day of snowboarding both in different places on the same bone. I feel your pain. my shoulder is all weird but im back doing everything now. it took like 10 weeks to heal the first time, and like 3 the second time. you'll be ok, we have 4 months left.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I broke mine March last year. It was only in one place but I was told I needed surgery otherwise it would be 4-6 months to heal with complications afterward (right at the end of the bone where the entire weight of my arm was on this small part). 6-8 weeks later I could do pretty much anything, I was riding in time for the US open. The nice part about surgery was I was out of the sling a week after it. The vicodin was pretty awesome (take 2 before school haha), as was the drug I tripped off of on the car ride home. It's steel plated now haha.

and THEY'RE DOCTORS. If your gonna spend all that money on med school you're probably going to know whats up

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I broke mine in three places years ago racing moto, all they did was give me a brace to wear for 6 weeks, I was back on the bike almost exactly 6 weeks later.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
ugly bro. I didnt read everything, did you get surgery? Probably right. I broke my left and right c bone, one healed In like 7 weeks the other took like 3 months. I didnt have surgery on either, I'm a little mangled looking, but wtf i'm no model anyway. You will ride this season for sure, I suggest physical therapy when your ready.

black box

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
I broke mine in 3 places in 2007. I got the plate/screws. Exactly 6 weeks later I went for my 1st DH ride at Plattekill where I did all the drops on the freeride trail and the road gap. Exactly 11 weeks later I went to Whistler for a week and had a few pretty nasty wrecks but it held up fine. Unless its a simple, clean break, I highly recommend the plate. I still have a bit of a tingly feeling but it doesn't bother me. Plus it puts your bone back to the correct length so you don't end up with a lopsided shoulder.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
rode my freeride bike around the block today:weee: no pain although i tried riding with just the arm with the broken collarbone it was a little weak but its looking like opening day at diablo is a reality:biggrin: