Quantcast

Broken Giant AC

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
Dammit...my giant ac broke today , i think i broke it earlier at carlmont today but i dont know what. i bought it used so it doesnt have any warantey. This is the second giant frame that i have broken. I am never going to buy another giant frame again. Does anyone know what i can do, or if anyone will warantee it for me, i mean i might as well try Also does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of frame to get next, i am looking to do some freeriding and DH but has to be able to handle N*. If you look at the 1st pic those pieces are supposed to be welded together. i definitley give this :stosh:

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What's the other Giant frame you've broken? Giant's stuff is pretty well-made. The problem with the AC frames is that they're hovering in that point where they're too lightly built to handle really hard stuff, but they have enough travel and the right geometry to be ridden on the really hard stuff. Bet you'd have no such problems with a Giant DH.

Try calling the warrenty department. Tell 'em you got the frame second hand, and it broke, and is there anything they can do for you? They might give you a good crash replacement deal - maybe you can even upgrade to a Giant DH, or this year's AC which is burlier?

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
The other frame was one of the warps.. not anything special but ya. im gonna take it to performance, cuz when i broke my warp they didnt check for a reciept. But damn this sux :mumble:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, kinda sounds to me like you're breaking frames out of a natural progression of riding - that is, buy a cheap bike (the warp), ride it, get better, eventually you're riding too hard for it. It breaks. So you buy a better bike (the ac), ride it, get better, now you're riding too hard for it.

Don't give up on Giants - they probably offer the best bang-for-the-buck of any bike on the planet.

Good luck with your warrenty!

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
binary visions said:
Well, kinda sounds to me like you're breaking frames out of a natural progression of riding - that is, buy a cheap bike (the warp), ride it, get better, eventually you're riding too hard for it. It breaks. So you buy a better bike (the ac), ride it, get better, now you're riding too hard for it.

Don't give up on Giants - they probably offer the best bang-for-the-buck of any bike on the planet.

Good luck with your warrenty!
Thanks, and i see what you mean, i have someone that works at a bike shop that deals with giant and said he might be able to pull some strings for me, if he can man i would be so happy, cuz this years has the swinger instead of the damn Rock Shox pro deluxe.

And the gold chain is an old Sachs chain that my dad had, but i got it cuz mine broke. I like it too its f'n awesome :p

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
...but it didn't break at the headtube..... :D

I've got nothing but good things to say about my AC. Put it through hell. But, seeing photos of Northstar, it doesn't look like any kind of place for that bike.....especially when Karpiel's seem to be the weapon of choice around there. Don't be down on Giant, man.......bump it on up to the DH model, and you won't be disappointed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Greyhound said:
...but it didn't break at the headtube..... :D

I've got nothing but good things to say about my AC. Put it through hell. But, seeing photos of Northstar, it doesn't look like any kind of place for that bike.....especially when Karpiel's seem to be the weapon of choice around there. Don't be down on Giant, man.......bump it on up to the DH model, and you won't be disappointed.
This years AC frame, coming stock with a 7" DC, would lead me to believe they're pretty confident in the strength of this frame. 7" forks let riders really push their bikes - Giant isn't going to want to warrenty a ton of frames, so I'd be willing to bet money that the frame is beefed up in all the right places.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Is this a case of a bad weld or high stress, I guess thats my question :think: What kind of riding do you do with that bike that may have caused that?

Thats an 02 Air Lite frame in the pic right?

I'm willing to bet that you could atleast get a crash replacement price or something if you call Giant, or better yet, get a shop to handle it. You might even get yourself an 04 frame, they are WAY more beefy and I believe they can support a true DH fork.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Sucks about the broken frame. If I was in your shoes I'd see what can be done about a crash replacement.

I would like to point out that they have no obligation to do so. You are not the original owner. I've seen people bitch about inflated costs of bikes and this is one of the reasons. Everybody wants something for free. People who pay retail have a hard time getting stuff covered why should you. Hell, i hope you get a good deal on something new but you did buy a used bike and that's part of the risk when buying used.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Lexx D said:
Sucks about the broken frame. If I was in your shoes I'd see what can be done about a crash replacement.

I would like to point out that they have no obligation to do so. You are not the original owner. I've seen people bitch about inflated costs of bikes and this is one of the reasons. Everybody wants something for free. People who pay retail have a hard time getting stuff covered why should you. Hell, i hope you get a good deal on something new but you did buy a used bike and that's part of the risk when buying used.
And to add to this...

If the frame broke at a weld or something that was a mistake in the manufacturing process then fine warranty it. But if it's a break from riding the bike to hard, the just fess up and tell them so, then see if they'll give you a crash replacement...

Cause honestly I don't really feel like paying more in retail cause you decided you wanted to try and scam giant for a warranty that should'nt have even been warrantied in the first place.

Now if it's a legitamate break from something giant screwed up on then yeah, warranty it. Enough said... good luck with it

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Nice apparently that is a big spot on the bike to break. mrbigisbudgood's apparently seperated on a xc ride once.