Quantcast

Broken

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Nothing special, just off the deck drop (phantom). Will remind me to get a bike that the crank is connected to the steering stem and upgrade more often. It was only 2 years old but me and the two kids will be coming with new rides next time.

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
thats ill dude. how was the landing after it broke? did you slide out or did it somewhat hold itself together?

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
I wish. Landed fine and felt it get to full compression then heard a big snap and everything went wrong. EMT were there before I event got up.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I could be wrong but I would be contacting mongoose about that, I could be wrong but by the pictures it appears to be a weld issue, it looks as if the weld had pulled clean off the bottom bracket area, If I had to make a call with the pics I would have to say, man you have poor penetration.

WhatTheHeck

Chimp
May 4, 2008
I could be wrong but I would be contacting mongoose about that, I could be wrong but by the pictures it appears to be a weld issue, it looks as if the weld had pulled clean off the bottom bracket area, If I had to make a call with the pics I would have to say, man you have poor penetration.
I'd agree...looks like the weld failed. OR maybe to much weight from the stickers on the downtube?

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
LOL stickers. My fat ass didn't help the situation either. Maybe one day you youngins can show me how to ride.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I looked at the bike up close on the back of your van. Your riding style or weight should have nothing to do with a break like that. The frame is at fault and I agree with the above - contact Mongoose and seek a warranty replacement.

Either way, definitely a scary looking snap. Glad you were AoK.

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
Definitely contact Mongoose. That drop is not nearly big enough to do what you did to it. Never liked mongoose to begin with, and i'll stick to my gut feeling after seeing this...
that suspension design=no no imo:plthumbsdown:
glad to hear youre ok though :)

Montana

Chimp
May 28, 2007
Ha! No offense but you shouldn't expect to much from a mongoose. They are pure ****. Glad your ok, thats most important.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I have to agree with the not specific to brand bad weld comment. I am sure Eric Carter stands behind the brand and puts the bikes through a hell of a lot more than any of us can push these bikes. Oh by the way while everyone is jammin on mongoose, didn't I see a giant faith break at a weld last year? hum must be they are sh}t too.:banghead:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
I have to agree with the not specific to brand bad weld comment. I am sure Eric Carter stands behind the brand and puts the bikes through a hell of a lot more than any of us can push these bikes. Oh by the way while everyone is jammin on mongoose, didn't I see a giant faith break at a weld last year? hum must be they are sh}t too.:banghead:
no giants are not ****. and i didn't really mind it any way. life time warranty. i cant say anything bad about them!

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I was not busting on giants directly, just making a case in point that the same thing happened to a Giant Faith last year. Same scenerio with a faulty weld. I have owned 2 Giants in the past and they were great bikes, just don't like to see brand thrashing due to a single instance. That is in fact what warranties are for (faulty engineering, not thrashing) This def. looked like a faulty weld in my oppinion. See you all this weekend.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
I wanted to share with all how well this turned out. Mongoose contacted me regarding the bike. Not only are they covering the break but all that happened because of the break. Its refeshing to see a company stand by their products like this these day and dealers willing to give you the time to make it right. Thanks.

WhatTheHeck

Chimp
May 4, 2008
I wanted to share with all how well this turned out. Mongoose contacted me regarding the bike. Not only are they covering the break but all that happened because of the break. Its refeshing to see a company stand by their products like this these day and dealers willing to give you the time to make it right. Thanks.
"All that happened"? Did you get hurt as well?

Sounds good they are making it right. I agree, brand bashing is not to cool as I've had ALOT of hi-end equipment over the years and have had frames break....it happens. I've also had run cheap stuff and it sometimes outlasts the expensive parts.....

Anyway, good to hear you'll be back up in no time!

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
But if we used the logic we can draw from this thread (That would be Mongoose sucks because one broke, you have no other reasoning as to why Mongoose sucks.) Then Giant must be **** too since one broke. Oh wait... you ride a Giant? So they don't suck then. I get it now. God I love the bandwagon riding youth of today.

The even funnier thing is one of Pacific/Mongoose's frame builders is you guessed it... Giant. Some models for the Pacific brands come from the Giant-Phoenix factoy in China:lighten:

Whats even funnier is The other factories that make Mongoose frames also make frames for Iron Horse, the Imported Treks, Specialized, Marin...Should I keep going?

Obviously Giant/Trek/Ironhorse/Specialized/Marin are all **** too.

All the above factory information is true and can be proved.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
There is no need to start an argument because someone missed the sarcasm of a previous comment.

I think it's safe to say that there are two Mongoose companies. The Wal-Mart Mongoose touts the $300 Blackcomb as their "best bike on the rack," and it goes without saying that the bike is garbage and wouldn't last a day at Diablo.

The Black Diamond series are a decent set of bikes, and sometimes S*** happens. I figured Mongoose would stand behind a Triple Black Diamond, as it's one of their most expensive models and the feature bike of their team rider Steve Romaniuk. Good customer service is the foundation of a good bike company.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
There is no need to start an argument because someone missed the sarcasm of a previous comment.

I quoted the wrong person (has since been take out of my other post) if this is aimed at me. Either way I see nothing wrong wit my post and it isn't to start arguments... It is to just clear the air so to speak. All this stuff comes from the same factory, sometimes it breaks big whoop. The same underpaid slob could have botched that weld on a Giant as easily as they did on a Mongoose.

All that really matters is the OP A) Didn't get hurt and B) Got a new frame for free.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Sorry, I removed them. Its not the same as prior though. Before I split the bike in half at the bottom frame mount. This time its the upper shock mount. What I find really disheartening is that I use to do all the drops until the frame broke. Since then the best one I do is the middle progressive.