Quantcast

Brooklyn Mini Link Single Speed

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Man i wanted a mini link forever, bmw was well ahead of thier time when they created this one...

killer build woody, i would love to make my bike into a singlespeed for resort riding in the summer it just limits you in alot of situations though...

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
... was well ahead of thier time when they created this one...
QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. That was another one of Doc's side projects that ended up becoming a Bklyn product, like the old TMX. The mini is probably at least five years ahead of it's time. Possibly the first actual "slopestyle" bike before slopestyle was a style to be had. I could be wrong since I was living in a bubble as far as what was available back then.

It was made in 2001 after a trip to Utah opened his eyes to a whole new world of riding. He went back to NYC challenging himself to make the smallest version of the Big Link possible at the time. Within six months he was back in Utah giving it a test run. :D

btw: the bike looks awesome Woody!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
that bike looks awesome. if only there was a way to integrate an internal hub at the main pivot...i'd be all over it.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
For the record it runs very quiet. I put a stealth hub on the back to emphasize that. It hasn't limited me yet. On the contrary. The gear is always there when I need it. Never any skips or searching for the proper ratio.

It's the perfect flickable little shuttle machine. The front end pulls up easier than both of my hardtails. I had to put a 24" on the back of the Dobermann because it felt sluggish by comparison. The Avy does a wonderful job. Outperforms the fork all day long, and feels way deeper than 6".

Edit: Thanks for the background info, T.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Maybe Superco will make my dreams come true.
now that's an idea i could wrap my head around. the design totally lends itself to that. bolt a rohloff just in front of the main pivot. the eccentric bb takes care of tensioning the primary chain (you'd still need a small secondary chain tensioner. coool.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I rode one of these around once. Felt like crapola, which was really disappointing. I've been obsessing on the gearbox idea for a long time now. Maybe Superco will make my dreams come true.
that's what i heard about those GT's also.

i suppose you could put an internal geared hub on your BMW and rock that. SRAM has an internal disc hub released in europe only...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wait so is it actually a single speed or is there an internal hub on there?

I am toying around with doing something like this next summer on my bottlerocket...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I have a Racelink frame(similar)and an Alfine hub. I was toying with the idea of welding brackets on the frame where the shock resi sits and running a right hand drive crank up to the hub,then on the other side of the hub running a short chain back to the jackshaft,then on the other side of the jackshaft a chain back to the rear wheel. Idealy I'd get a new swingarm made to take a BMX hub or run a Hadley or Profile single speed. But I think the Alfine might be too wide,I'll size it up and see how it looks soon. I think it'll be too hard though.
Sorry to fuel the derailment. Lovely little bike you have there.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
wait so is it actually a single speed or is there an internal hub on there?

I am toying around with doing something like this next summer on my bottlerocket...

I wanna build up a single speed bottlerocket someday but right now the coin just isnt there, it would be awesome for dh,park,street and djs all in one but t hen i would have no purpose for my other bikes

how much does that mini link weigh and how does it charge through the rockgardens with 24s i know my bighit hangs up slightly with the 24 rear

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Blasphemy!
If you think those bars are an aquired taste, you should've seen the ones it came with. Mean looking set of cruiser-height bars.
The previous owner went all out and decked it with as much BMW schwag as he could. (thanks, Surge) The top tube pad even has brooklyn tags on it. I think it's tight personally. Matches the gloves I bought off of Sandwich earlier this year.

Even gayer than that, Sandwich bought his Race Link off of the same guy and they match perfectly. Same bars, same color paint, similar parts build. Post a picture if you would, Brosef.

Rad bike, way ahead of it's time. The seat, bars, & tt pad are circa 01 however... best left in 2001.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
THAT would be a sight to behold.

I have a Racelink frame(similar)and an Alfine hub. I was toying with the idea of welding brackets on the frame where the shock resi sits and running a right hand drive crank up to the hub,then on the other side of the hub running a short chain back to the jackshaft,then on the other side of the jackshaft a chain back to the rear wheel. Idealy I'd get a new swingarm made to take a BMX hub or run a Hadley or Profile single speed. But I think the Alfine might be too wide,I'll size it up and see how it looks soon. I think it'll be too hard though.
Sorry to fuel the derailment. Lovely little bike you have there.

Nov 26, 2001
Lincoln Woods
Someone say 'gearbox mini'????
Been rocking this setup for a couple years now. Best rig i ever had, nice and tight and nimble. This bike, and setup, goes everywhere and does anything, trails, XC, DH. Mini-links forever!

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
a year ago...i don't have a digicam, but the mud is under the crown, crammed in the linkage, and coating the backside of the rear fender.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Someone say 'gearbox mini'????
Been rocking this setup for a couple years now. Best rig i ever had, nice and tight and nimble. This bike, and setup, goes everywhere and does anything, trails, XC, DH. Mini-links forever!
very nice. The hub has held up ok I take it? A friend of mine had one on a hardtail for a year and it blew up... sent it to Rolloff, who moved offices and didn't update their site or have their mail forwarded... and the hub got "lost in the mail" (!)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The Rohloff is still the most reliable drivetrain out there at present.apart from singlespeed,and even then,the Rohloff may put less wear on sprockets and chain by having gears.

Nov 26, 2001
Lincoln Woods
'Lost in the mail',,,,,,yikes, insured?? No problems to speak of (knock on wood), just change the oil once a year and your good to go. I just inspect everything and change the cables regularly.