Quantcast

Build Advice

Apr 25, 2004
NOVA
I am in the process of selling my NRS 1 and plan to take part of the proceeds and build up a new bike. Right now I am riding a DS-1 (Fourth owner and still going strong) set up SS with some tougher parts on it. Hookworms go on for street riding, DH tires go on for XC. I really like the idea of a "Do-it-all" bike. Something simple (read: singlespeed) and durable. Nothing super fancy, just a bike that will hold up and is fun to ride. I will also be bringing this bike with me when I study abroad in Europe next Spring. I figure I can bring a handful of freewheels, a chain or two and a minimal amount of tools (BB + freewheel remover and a set of allens) and I'd be set. Here is what I have come up with so far:

-Azonic Steelhead frame
-'99 Z1 Drop-off
-FSA Pig DH Pro headset
-Truvativ Gigapipe DH BB
-FSA V-Drive Cranks
-Evil Supercharger
-Sun Mammoths
-Surly new hubs (disc front/reg rear)
-Avid Mech Disc up front with a V-brake in the rear

Any opinions on a build like this? I have yet to see or ride a Steelhead but at the price it seems this frame is a hard one to beat (chromoly, beefy, and horizontal drops :thumb: ). I have heard that the Surly hubs aren't the fanciest out there and are a little heavy, but are good hubs for the price. Would you recommend something different? Same goes for the rim selection. Now before anyone goes and starts listing off Hadley this or Atom Labs that...my build would cost me ~$500 for a complete bike so I'm definitely trying to stay in the cheap but durable range of parts. I don't mind a little extra weight if it comes to that. Comments? Suggestions? Let's hear em!

-Ariel

Apr 25, 2004
NOVA
Local races are starting up in a few weeks and for those I plan on running something a little bit lighter and more sensible than DH tires :D but for general trail riding I'm content with something fatter then the usual 1.95s or 2.1s. But yeah, definitely not running DH tires for any racing. Guess I should have been a little more specific...

I'm kind of surprised that there really hasn't been any responses to my post. Maybe I should have posted in another section? :confused: I figured if I'm building up a tougher bike the DH/Freeride crowd should have some good advice. More specifically I wanted opinions on my hub and rim choice.

Has anyone out there ran Surly hubs before? Would I be making a mistake of lacing them up to Mammoths? Would they hold up(both hubs and rims)?

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
Originally posted by seventyohfive
Would I be making a mistake of lacing them up to Mammoths? Would they hold up(both hubs and rims)?
I don't think that would be a mistake. If anything, you will have a strong wheel due to the rear wheel not being dished. I've ridden Mammoth rims laced to LX hubs before with v-brakes with no issues.

I don't know a whole lot about Surly hubs. They've been making single speed stuff for a while, so I would expect them to be pretty strong.