Quantcast

Build dirt jumps with Lenosky and Ebbet in NYC this March...

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
NYCMTB, NYC Parks and IMBA are building dirt jumps, a freeride trail and miles of technical singletrack in Highbridge Park in upper Manhattan. This March, IMBA subcontractors (and pro riders) Jeff Lenosky, Kyle Ebbett and Judd deVall will construct our dirt jump park, and we need your help.

The full-time crew will be in there starting Monday, March 12, with heavy machinery. If you're available during the week to help out, we would love your help.

On Saturdays, March 17 & 24 starting at 9 am, we'll be amassing a small army of volunteers to help with the dirt jumps and pump track, as well as to rework sections of the freeride trail that need attention and continue work on some of the XC trails. This is a major opportunity to build amazing trails with the help of IMBA and NYC Parks (and some top national riders). Tell everyone you know!

The jump park is located at the northern tip of Highbridge Park in Inwood, Manhattan. Parking is available along Fort George Ave., and the park is easily accessible from the 1 train at Dyckman Street.

Click here for a Google Map

For more information, visit the NYCMTB.com forum or e-mail info (at) nycmtb.com

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
There are some guys who sleep in the park right now, but that activity is frowned upon. ;)

I'll check around and see if anyone's got space to put some people up.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Some photos to up to stoke factor. Who would have thought we'd find a place to build these trails in Manhattan!

Intro drop on the freeride trail:

Jim Dellavalle cutting a berm:

Rock drop:

Switchback (took 5 days of work to build):

Singletrack:

Drop off a 1920's-built rock wall:

Jump park preliminary plan:

Overall trail map:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Jamie-
What about all the glass farms in the lower portions? It was pretty bad by the lot.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yes. All tables for legal reasons. But if you look at the alternate side lines, I'm sure you might be able to discover some creative transfer options... ;)
I hope to live in a place someday where that statement does not need to be made "All tables for legal reasons".

Good on ya for this project-good luck.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I hope to live in a place someday where that statement does not need to be made "All tables for legal reasons".

Good on ya for this project-good luck.
Thanks. We're just happy to get dirt jumps approved by NYC Parks, and paid for by a $100k grant from New York State. We'll worry about doubles later. ;)

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
We mapped out the jump lines today at Highbridge. Here are some pics...

Judd DeVall and Jeff Lenosky:

Pin flags marking out the jump lines:

Discussing the finer points of berms:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
this is huge guys...i spend alot of time in NYC visiting buddies in conjunction with diablo trips, this will be a great place to hit while there...

i didnt bother to look at a map much but how far of a pedal is this from 5th and E 89th?

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
it's a far pedal but a good scenary since the sun will be shining and alot of ass to see b/c I call this neighborhood "BOOTYLAND"and live like 15mins by train which my lazyass will take!!

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Due to the exceedingly poor conditions, we're cancelling the Highbridge work day scheduled for tomorrow, March 17. Digging trails through several inches of snow and slush in 30-degree temps is not anyone's idea of fun, so we're going to cut our losses and try again next weekend.

Speaking of next weekend, please join us Saturday, March 24th at 9 am and the following weekend, Saturday, March 31st at 9 am for Highbridge volunteer trailbuilding days. Pro builders Judd De Vall, Jeff Lenosky and Kyle Ebbett will be there to lead groups of volunteers in three work projects- the XC skills loop trail, additional work on the freeride trail, and of course shaping the dirt jump park.

Thanks for bearing with us. See you next weekend...