Quantcast

building a fr bike

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am saving up for a used small santa cruz bullit frame. I will do fr, dj, trails, wooden trails and some climbs. I don't want this bike to weigh a ton. I weigh about 120 lbs. I will get a marzzochi z150 fork. I will propably get a romic. What rims should get, I want mavic maybe 729. Would those be to heavy for my riding because i saw them on a v10? I want them to almost never need truing. Also what hubs should I get, I heard xt hubs are solid. I will get dt swiss spokes and nipples. I will get hayes hfx9 mag 8" discbrakes. I will get a titec el norte seat and a thomson seatpost. I will get truvativ husefelt cranks and a mrp lrp guide. Probably an lx derailer and an xtr front derailer. Can you help me with my bike I am saving up for?

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I've had really good luck with single tracks, and sun rhino lites. As far a brakes I would stick with a 6" rotor in the back. It's less likely to get beat up in the rock gardens.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
whats your budget? the azonic outlaw wheelset has been the best wheelset i've used IMO. ive been running them since the beginning of june and they only needed to be trued once. also, might i suggest a cheaper and possibly (most likely) better alternative to the HFX9's: shimano deore hydraulic discs. i dont own any, but as far as i can tell by riding them on friend's bikes, they are better than the HFX9's. i dont know about long term performance though so maybe someone else can fill you in on that.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have a set of Hadley/Mavic 321 wheels on my Bullit. They have been great. The rear hub is the 10mm thru axle and the front a 20mm.

I also have the el Norte/Thomson seat combo. Bombproof, except that the cover of the saddle needs replacing.

The LRP works well.

I have the stock 5th element shock on it and have been very pleased with the way the bike pedals.

As long as you go with the Hayes mag levers you'll be good.

Mike

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for all the help so far! Maybe I will get 321 w/hadley hubs. thats a really nice bullit, what size is it? Good idea for a 6" rotor in the back. What is wrong w/hfx9 levers?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Have you seen the hayes aftermarket dangerboy 2 finger levers. They are thicker and shorter for only 2 fingers. I only use 2 fingers. They also have better grip.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
mtnbrider said:
Thanks for all the help so far! Maybe I will get 321 w/hadley hubs. thats a really nice bullit, what size is it? Good idea for a 6" rotor in the back. What is wrong w/hfx9 levers?
Thanks. It's a large. That's also an 8" rotor in back. I've worked on several bikes with hfx9 levers and they are just more troublesome than the mags. The hfx9 has a plastic plug for the bleed hole that can develop leaks. The piston has a blowout washer to protect the lever from bending, this is a nice feature unless you have a spare washer and a pair of snap ring pliers handy for replacement. You also have to remove the grips to get the lever off the bar. My mags have been pretty much 'bullit' proof (pun intended). I've bent both levers slightly but they're still going strong.

I have the Razorrock Stiffie's on my M1. The brass barrel nut has seized up on the lever reach adjustment. I'm probably just going to stick with the stock Hayes, though the Dangerboy levers look nice.

The Mavic 321 is now the 729. They're stiffer than Sun Rim's and softer than the Intense Mag 30 (I know, it's also made by Sun).

Mike

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oy veh.

As someone who is saving up in order to buy a used Bullit frame, don't waste your money on Hadley hubs. That's like buying a Ford Festiva and putting 18" rims and racing slicks on it - it ain't gonna make you go any faster.

XT hubs are really great for the price. The stock Hayes levers will be fine.

f you're looking for places to save money, there's no need for an XTR front derailleur - stick with LX and you'll get 99% of the performance for a third of the price. An LX cassette will work great, as well as LX shifters. I would recommend springing for the XT or XTR level chain.

The Thomson seatpost is a good investment, but if you're looking to save more money you can always go with something cheaper.

Sun Rhyno Lite XLs are very tough rims for very little money. Rhyno Lites on XT hubs would be an inexpensive wheelset that would hold up to a lot of FR/trail riding.

FSA V-Drive Xtremes are excellent budget-priced cranks.. Very burly, not rediculously heavy, and only $60.

If you have a little money left over at the end, consider bumping up to Hayes HFX-Mags. The HFX-9s are fine brakes but there have been a few nagging problems with them, simply because they're a more budget priced brake system.

Hope that helps!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I will probably be using 2.5 inch maxxis tires. It think its cambria that has maxxis tires for $20 for 1 and 4 for $70 and other amounts between. I will be buying 95% of this stuff used, including the rims. Is there any major difference besides logo on the 321s and 721s. Is it better to get disc rims if I'm not using rim brakes. I think I will get xt hubs because i have been hearing good things about them. I will probably get a lx drivetrain.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
mtnbrider said:
What is the difference between long and short cage deraillers?
You know what. you should just call Cambria Bike if you have 30 questions. They will help guide you on a lot of things. Don't worry if you are not going to buy a bunch of things from them, but let them know that, and that you want to buy some tires from them.

But listen to what Binary said...he is RIGHT on target.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Yeah, I guess I missed that whole budget thing. :think:

Shouldn't post while drinking. You're right on Binary.

But that said I have beat the crap out of my bike for two years and the only thing that failed is the BB bearings (Raceface).

Mike

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey if you what i have a Z150 i will most likely be selling here in the near future(personally perferrer a dualcrown). as for the best bang for buck parts on the drivetrain. the sram X.7 shifter and der are great(they also help with chain slap and ghost shifts). the FSA V-drive extream cranks are unbeatable for the money and they are still light weight. as for the front der they all work about the same. for the chain giude the only dualring one that i have ever seen work well is the Evil DRS. as for teh rims that you picked they are some of the best they are not too heavy but still very strong. there are a couple of problems it the xt hub they are strong but they are poor ratching, heavy as hell, open bearing, and the new one are center lock only!, also there is no 20mm front which you will need for the fornt of your bike. as for a better hub i don't have any good subjestions. personally i dont like the hayes at all, i have seen too many problems with they. i would go for 8" rotors though it will really help when it comes to the dh run and the latter riding

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtnbrider said:
I will probably be using 2.5 inch maxxis tires. It think its cambria that has maxxis tires for $20 for 1 and 4 for $70 and other amounts between. I will be buying 95% of this stuff used, including the rims. Is there any major difference besides logo on the 321s and 721s. Is it better to get disc rims if I'm not using rim brakes. I think I will get xt hubs because i have been hearing good things about them. I will probably get a lx drivetrain.
Nope, the 721s are simply the new model name for the 321s. Either one will be fine.

The difference between disc and non-disc rims is pretty neglidgable.. Don't worry about it. If the rims you like come in a rim brake compatible model, that's just fine.

The difference between long cage and short cage derailleurs is just the amount of slack they can take up in the chain. A short or mid cage model will probably be best to provide you with some more ground clearance - especially because you probably won't be running a big ring on a freeride bike.

I would seriously consider a chainguide to go with your setup, by the way - I'm preferential to the Evil DRS. The bashguard is indestructable and you won't lose your chain, OR your ability to run a small ring.

And Dartman, with a nice build like that, I'd imagine you can thrash it pretty hard without anything breaking!

For a 20mm front hub (if you get a 20mm axle fork), the Marzocchi front hubs are cheap and reliable. Just about any 20mm hub is fine, though, because they're so simple - all of them work fine. Get the cheapest one you can.

< spam >
I have a WTB LaserDisc DH wheelset that's in good shape - WTB LaserDisc rims, laced with double butted spokes to WTB Momentum hubs (20mm front, QR rear). Needs a couple spokes replaced on the rear which should only cost you a few bucks.. PM me if you're interested, I'll let 'em go cheap. The WTB rims are very similar in profile to the Mavic D321s, but they're a little lighter.
< /spam >

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
get the short cage. i run a shimano 105 road derailleur on 2 of my bikes ( the 2 that get beat up the worst ( urban and FR/DH)). picked them up used for 15 bucks each. they are tough as nails. most roadies replace there drive trains often so just callevery shop you can. the shimano 105 also seems to have a very strong return spring. the benefit however of a short cage is that it does not get smashed up as easily in wrecks and rock gardens.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for so much help! What is bad about a short cage? Maybe I will get a marzocchi 20mm hub and an xt rear one. I will look at the marzocchi hubs. the pig dh headset is $20 , but I don't remember where. I will probably get 321s or 729s because of their strength. What should I look for 36 or 32 hole? it was cambria that suggested mavic.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd get a set of Sun Rhynolite XL's, there was some place that was selling a wheelset with xt rear hub and a marzocchi front for around $200, maybe pricepoint or Jenson??? Really at 120 LBS I doubt that anything stronger than a Rhyno Lite XL (which is a very understated rim) would really serve any purpose besides extra weight. From the sound of the components you picked out you'll be running in the mid to upper 30 lbs which might be a little too much for somebody your size. I'd look to save weight where you can, Lighter wheels will be a good place to start, look at weights and you'll find that the 521/721's are only a few grams differant than the RhynoLite XL's but with a bigger pricetag. You might not even be able to find a nice used set of Mavics for less than you'd pay for a new set of Rhynolites. I'd also suggest trying stan's and and a single ply tire if you're planning on pedalling anywhere reguardless of what rim you're using. The old saying is that making your wheels 1 lb lighter feels like making your frame (or any other part) 2 lbs lighter. 32 hole rims and hubs are easier to find and are strong enough for 99% of all riders. If you want to save a little more wieght and money you could get a set of Avid mechanical brakes with 8" rotors, I think they stop as well or better than Hayes brakes with much less hassle because they don't need to be bled plus there are several different lever options as you can use any vee brake lever. Thomson seat posts are really nice, but I don't think anybody on a budget really needs one, same would go for their stems, I don't really know what else to reccomend though, I guess whatever is more affordable is more affordable.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
back to the brakes... go to your LBS and do a comparison of the hayes and the new juicies. I used to be a hayes fan until i got a pair of jucies. The one finger braking power of the juicy is amazing. My 2 cents :thumb:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
gastrocnemius said:
Besides the fact that they're classified differently, Mavic's website lists a hundred+ gram weight difference between the two.

Or is there something happening in the '05 lineup?
Don't confuse last years D312 with this years XM321. They're not the same rim. They re-labled the D312 as the EX729. Folks shouldn't leave the letters off the rim name.

Mike

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
HFX 9's are crap. Get the mag levers and put them on the 9 calipers or just get a set of Mags. If you are going to run a small frame you better be really small yourself. I had a small for about an month and I got rid of it because it was too small. I am 5'5" tall. The 729 or the 321 rims by mavic are perfect.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
729's are nice, you should get those. I have 321's which are basically the same thing and they arent very heavy at all.

( My bike is 35 pounds with 7 inches in the front and in back, so the rims can't be too heavy)

Nov 12, 2004
dont get rynolite xl's they are light but not very strong. they flatspot easily and mine needed to be trued after the first week of having them. so if you want rims that dont constantly have to be trued dont go with the rynos go with some singletracks or somthing like that.