Quantcast

Building a steel frame help with tubing

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Mustang85 said:
im going ot make a steel hardtail, just wanted to know what size tubing and what wall thickness to use.
Wide enough to get barelled and thick enough to break your board... oh sorry wrong forum. ;)

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
It all depends on your needs, but .049 thickness is always a good thickness. .035 is ideal for weight, but much harder to weld. Tubing diameters should vary, generally thicker such as a 1 3/4" Downtube with like 1 1/4" TT and ST with 3/4" round chainstays is what I used. It makes a fairly light frame for straight gauge 4130 but still really tough. I recommend straight gauge 4130 because of its durability and you dont have to very carefully plan your mitres like a butted tube, thats easier to do once you have experience, which i don't. PM me for some more info if you want some, I made my own 4130 hardtail 2 years again and it was an awesome experience

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well, I generally use 049 on my downtubes.
My XC bike is 035x1.5 down tube and a 028 x 1.375 top tube.

My downhill bike has 049 x 1.5 pretty much all around.

The new short travel 4x bike I'm building will be mostly 035.

Unless you want a super burly ride, I generally say 049 is plenty.

Quick top: For your head tube, 1.5od with an 085 wall is perfect. The ID is all set for the headset. Just use a lathe to face off the ends.

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Encinitas, its near San Diego
lanman said:
It all depends on your needs, but .049 thickness is always a good thickness. .035 is ideal for weight, but much harder to weld. Tubing diameters should vary, generally thicker such as a 1 3/4" Downtube with like 1 1/4" TT and ST with 3/4" round chainstays is what I used. It makes a fairly light frame for straight gauge 4130 but still really tough. I recommend straight gauge 4130 because of its durability and you dont have to very carefully plan your mitres like a butted tube, thats easier to do once you have experience, which i don't. PM me for some more info if you want some, I made my own 4130 hardtail 2 years again and it was an awesome experience
yeah i have a bunch of 2in, 1.5in, 1in, and 3/4in cold roll but with a .120in thick wall, i guess that would be to heavy eh? lol

Thanks for all the tips im going to go buy some steel tomorrow :D

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
ncrider said:
Wide enough to get barelled and thick enough to break your board... oh sorry wrong forum. ;)
HAHA

Hey man seeing that we both have sexy VP-free's if you want I'm going to have a ton of tubing left over and nothing to use it for, so if you want i could build you a frame too...of course both would be set up for 8in travel forks :evil: seeing that im to poor to buy new parts. And i would only charge the cost of materials so like 40-50bucks

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Spitfired said:
Check this place out:
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=1185/index.html

They have plenty to choose from and the shipping is quick - I placed and order sunday night, and it'll be here today (thursday). The prices arn't bad either.

www.henryjames.com for seat tubes and bottom brackets.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to try and fab everything myself, and i get 40% off everything at my local metal supply shop thats only 25min away from my house. Only downside is you have to get 10ft or 20ft sections of almost everything.