Quantcast

Building rhythm djs

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
I have a couple jumps in my back yard, planning on retooling them into a rhythm section. I remember reading once that there is a ratio for determining the distance between height of jump and length of of gap and landing, anybody? I guess what I need to know is how far do I space the jumps so you don't have to pedal between them or land in the face of the next jump?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i saw a cool 'how to' on crackedfork.com. i think its good to have at least a 10ft space between jumps and its good to have it pitted out. the size of the gaps depends on what your comfortable with. bigger gaps means you need longer pits, more roll time to build up speed. heres the figure from the site and a pic of one of our main lines.

Attachments

Jmight..

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
NC
what I don't understand is how they get the sides and back to be packed in almost vertical

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Jmight.. said:
what I don't understand is how they get the sides and back to be packed in almost vertical

ahh....i thinks its quality & moist dirt, skill with a shovel, and a good packing tool. after the jump is finished and has hardened up, You've been riding it, you can cut away dirt from the spots that arent essential and use that dirt elsewhere. Gives the jumps a more proffesional look and is an easy source for more dirt. :thumb:

But most important is to have good dirt that is nice and moist. not soupy wet, but packably moist. and shovel skillz

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
Stoked said:
i saw a cool 'how to' on crackedfork.com.
Pictures from crackedfork.com helped! I had seen them before, but didn't pay any attention to them. I'm a diggin' in between the almost daily rain showers we've had this summer. I'm post some pics when I get the first set finished.

bansheeboy

Chimp
Mar 4, 2005
Dan, if you need any help on your dj's, let me know. that or meet me at johnson's one day to have a look at theirs.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
general rule for rhythm is the lengh of the gap should be 1/2 of the lengh from lip to lip of the landing to the next launch. if they're on flat ground then keep the spacing equal but if they're at even a slight downslope (which is a lot better) then they sould get progressively bigger. how much so depends on the slope. the 6-pac i ride is all 7 pace gaps with 14 paces landing lip to launch lip and are 3, 4, and 5' tall progressively. that gives about 3 bike lenghs of flat ground between landings and launches. and that nice build-up feel.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
we're currently making a big rythem, its on a down hill slope, so the first gap is 15' with about 15' to the next lip. That gap is 20 feet, then 20 feet past that is a roller to a berm to a 20' hip, then 15 feet out of that is another roller, then 17 feet past that is a 30' gap, the next lip is being built, and its about 30' to it from the previous landing.

so what you do is once you make the landing, dig down into the ground so there is a rounded space between the landing and the next lip, This way you can pump better. Use the dirt you dig out for the the lip. Place the lip about the same distance as the gap, (if you are building steep lips) . Just make sure it flows well.

hope this helps

Jmight..

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
NC
I've used plenty of water and packed the hell out of mine but if it doesn't rain for awhile the sides start to get all ****ty

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
we use a pump spray if the rain is lacking. in the winter months we use a roofing torch to solidify the lips. hooks up to a propane tank and after a few minutes the packed dirt is dry and solid like concrete.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah for water sprayers!
BTW
I just scored a NEW shovel for $7. From a real store!
Made in China, I am not an american.