Quantcast

Building someone else's dream home...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The following photos are from a custom home I am building for a client.

It is 2300 heated sq_ft with 4 bedrooms, a huge! three car garage, and a large future bonus room above that garage.

Here are the electricians roughing in a floor outlet and the power to the kitchen island. Note that we use "post-tensioned" foundations here in my part of La.

The home is being built on what was a pine forested lot some 4 years ago. When the trees were removed it left the soil somewhat unstable and my civil engineer said we needed to use helical piers. This is a pic of the pier... well the end of it with a steel plate on it that will support the concrete foundation beams of the house slab. These piers are a somewhat newer technology here and it was the first time I've used them. Based on my experince so far, I'd highly recommend them over the old drill shaft method.

We poured the slab and the framing carpenters started in first by snapping the wall lines on the slab and a short 4 weeks later we had a structure that was in the dry. Here is a shot of the garage. Shown is a 9' wide door opening and the 18' double door opening.

Inside the living/dining area (glue-lam pr0n!)

Once the decking was on and the HVAC and plumbing lines were thru the roof, we shingled it (the roof angles are mostly 9-in-12 and 14-in-12). We also had the HVAC contractor install the metal roof over the front porch and the chimney cap. Then, after all the electrical and plumbing and hvac was roughed in, the sheet rockers showed up and installed over 11,000 square feet of gypsum board in 2 days.

In the meantime the brick masons were steady at it... no real rush since they are not holding up any of the work going on inside the house. Here is a shot of the end of the garage wall which will have a couple decrative sets of closed shutters (there is no window).

After the 'rockers' left yesterday, the mud men moved in and started "tape, mud, and floating" the walls.... a lot of work for $0.25 per sq Ft!! That also includes an 'orange peel' texture which is the norm here.

The master bath:

Here is the front and rear elevations of the house as it looked this evening, 27 Apr.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I can remember playing hide and seek in all the empty houses that were being built in our neighborhood when we lived in Baton Rouge.

That is a fvcking high ceiling in the master bath.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
New houses are nice. My parents new house is bricked and getting insulation right now with drywall next week. It'll be a pimp house.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Started to help my friend move into his new house. For the last two years he spent time living in my basement and in a tiny little rental. His new place is gigantic and really nice. It is easily the nicest home I have ever been into and didn't have to buy a ticket to enter (grew up near the Vanderbuilt Mansion). It was built really well too, by a family of Menonites.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
stevew said:
I can remember playing hide and seek in all the empty houses that were being built in our neighborhood when we lived in Baton Rouge.
Yeah - I remember playing 'hide and seek' in all the new houses in our neighborhood with my girlfriend. :evil:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Looks great N8!!!! Are all the houses out there built on slab foundations? We move in our house this weekend. Still need to pick out the granite and finish the kitchen & family room.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Looks great N8!!!! Are all the houses out there built on slab foundations? We move in our house this weekend. Still need to pick out the granite and finish the kitchen & family room.
Having a basement in Louisiana would be like having an indoor pool.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
Can a "dream home" really be that close to other houses?? :confused: :p
Its funny you mention that,
because that is what some people want.
We were talking about that last night.
Some people prefer to live in a neighborhood.
We have good friends and relatives who would want their dream home to be in a neighborhood.
I think that is strange, but different strokes for different folks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
Its funny you mention that,
because that is what some people want.
We were talking about that last night.
Some people prefer to live in a neighborhood.
We have good friends and relatives who would want their dream home to be in a neighborhood.
I think that is strange, but different strokes for different folks.
I can see wanting to live in a neighborhood - but did you see how close those McMansions are to each other? :)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Here is the house next door to the one I am building. These are fun houses to build... kinda spendy tho for the stucco at $7.50 per SF!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That looks very nice. Way too fancy pants for me for sure, but very nice indeed.

There was a builder out of California that moved to Oregon about 10 years ago. He build a whole bunch of HUGE stucco houses and made a truck load of money. The sad part was that they all rotted from the inside out in 2 years. Now there are these huge lawsuits of people trying to get moeny back for the houses they had to doze.

When I bought my house in Woodburn, it came with a door to door 10 year warenty. My builder was the only one to offer it and I was very happy with the quality of the house we had.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
jimmydean said:
That looks very nice. Way too fancy pants for me for sure, but very nice indeed.

There was a builder out of California that moved to Oregon about 10 years ago. He build a whole bunch of HUGE stucco houses and made a truck load of money. The sad part was that they all rotted from the inside out in 2 years. Now there are these huge lawsuits of people trying to get moeny back for the houses they had to doze.

When I bought my house in Woodburn, it came with a door to door 10 year warenty. My builder was the only one to offer it and I was very happy with the quality of the house we had.
sounds like the building inspector should be hung as well.....somebody dropped the ball that is for sure...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
I can see wanting to live in a neighborhood - but did you see how close those McMansions are to each other? :)
That is a common thing that I see now, and it has nothing to do with the size of the houses either. It can be a neighborhood of $100,000 houses or $300,000 + and they are about the same distance apart.:dead:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
In high school we threw a couple parties in houses under construction, but they were all ooooouuuuuutttttt there in the hills. Those were pretty illegal, but always a fun time. We used to have a ton of parties at an "abandoned" mansion. One night about 50 or 60 kids, all driving in a caravan of about 15 cars, arrived, only to find the place underconstruction, getting remodeled. Once a couple kids went in, the party went off as usual, with a lot of things getting broken or tampered with.

High school kids without a good place to drink/rage scares me. I'd hate to have close to 100 kids wreck my brand new house.

That's a rad new place you built. What do you guys do for security during the job?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
That is a common thing that I see now, and it has nothing to do with the size of the houses either. It can be a neighborhood of $100,000 houses or $300,000 + and they are about the same distance apart.:dead:
From a population density POV it sure makes sense. But they're quite hideous IMNSHO.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
From a population density POV it sure makes sense. But they're quite hideous IMNSHO.
Yeah, I think that is a "feature" that no one likes except the developer.
Unless maybe someone actually likes to piss out his bedroom window and onto his neighbor's newspaper.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Out here in California most of the newer houses are on slabs, however most of the older homes & custom homes have 18"+ crawl spaces.
I don't think any of the houses in our neighborhood at the time even had a crawl space.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Construction is moving along nicely. We poured the slab for this house during the first week of March and I think we will be 100% done by the first week of July...

Some progression shots:

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Here in SB -> 1 bdrm, 850sqft for $500k+. All this means as a 22 yr old professional, I will never be buying a house here....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
HaveFaith said:
Here in SB -> 1 bdrm, 850sqft for $500k+. All this means as a 22 yr old professional, I will never be buying a house here....
Maybe not as a 22 yr old professional, but someday you will be a 40 year old professional and you may be able to live where ever you want. Never discount the future.

Looks great N8!