Quantcast

Building someone else's dream home...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
How big are the blocks N8? The pic of the completed one was good. Didn't have the garage as the main feature of the house so that's a bonus.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
buildyourown said:
I'll take my $300k fixer upper with a yard in a nice city any day over anything in La.

That's totally cool, and I'll take the $45k+ i made on this house and buy another lot, another brand new blinging mtb and deposit $12k in my checking account.

:wave:

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Hey looks sweet! I like the arches and SR details! I am a builder too, In the Eureka, Ca area. I do some new contruction, a lot of Kitchen and bathroom remodels and I have a custom cabinetry shop too. So what did you do in the house and what was subed out? I can't wait to see the finished pics!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
kindtrails said:
Hey looks sweet! I like the arches and SR details! I am a builder too, In the Eureka, Ca area. I do some new contruction, a lot of Kitchen and bathroom remodels and I have a custom cabinetry shop too. So what did you do in the house and what was subed out? I can't wait to see the finished pics!
As the GC I do all of the collecting of the bids, arranging the financing, scheduling the work, quality control, dealing with the clients..... etc...

That home sold for $270,000 here in NW Louisiana.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
N8 said:
That's totally cool, and I'll take the $45k+ i made on this house and buy another lot, another brand new blinging mtb and deposit $12k in my checking account.

:wave:

you can buy a lot big enough for a house in LA for less than 33k????? :hot:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
buildyourown said:
Lousiana, not Los Angeles. Nobody in thier right mind would live there, hence it's so cheap.

yeah i know.
still 35k is way too cheap (specially for land where a 250k house is built on) for land up there.

hell, even in Lima, 35k wont get you more than a working class 700-800sq ft appartment far in the suburbs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
like we said, it's louisiana...you couldn't pay me enough money to live there, i don't care how many zeroes are in my checking account or overpriced big wheels are in my garage.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well the great thing is that a lot of people like to buy homes here so I am happy to sell them one... :)

And yes, the lot that this home was built on cost $30k.

But I can get lots from $25k and up.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8, did you say that house is only 2300 sq feet? But then you said the rooms were big? Is there only 1 or 2 bedrooms?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MTB_Rob_NC said:
N8, did you say that house is only 2300 sq feet? But then you said the rooms were big? Is there only 1 or 2 bedrooms?

It's 2210 heated with a gigantic garage...

4 br/2 bath, the master bedroom was on the smallish side 15'x16' but the other 3 bedrooms were all 12'x12' minimum.

This house plan is great. It makes the 2210 sf seem like 2500+ sf....

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Man, It is wild the difference in the cost of construction from one location to the next. Here in California, we have very strict seismic standards, which add alot of expense. A house like that one, here in Humboldt, would probobly cost around $200 to $250 per sqft. And lots in town are $150,000.00!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Nice. Not to my personal taste, but I'm a minimalist.

I like the kitchen concept - the gas range being a part of the counter, etc.

What's the lat/long? for my google earth thingy...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
There was a builder out of California that moved to Oregon about 10 years ago. He build a whole bunch of HUGE stucco houses and made a truck load of money. The sad part was that they all rotted from the inside out in 2 years. Now there are these huge lawsuits of people trying to get moeny back for the houses they had to doze.
That's a scary thing I predict will be happening again in about ten years.

Everyone is so afraid of water, that they seal the living hell out of the exterior of the house not thinking about the need for air changes in order to avoid dry-rot.

Properly designed and implemented stucco can be very waterproof and allow for good air movement. But I see a lot of scary stuff happening here in CA.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Looks nice, the only thing I would do different is the entrance, I'd stick with the brick where the stucco is and do some nice double doors.
Yeah.. the front entrance sucks balls!!! I would have gone with a nice arched soild wood door or something along those lines, but the door that's on there is the one the client wanted.

If I were to build this as a spec house, I would change the front elevation.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
That's a scary thing I predict will be happening again in about ten years.

Everyone is so afraid of water, that they seal the living hell out of the exterior of the house not thinking about the need for air changes in order to avoid dry-rot.

Properly designed and implemented stucco can be very waterproof and allow for good air movement. But I see a lot of scary stuff happening here in CA.

I use a system incorporates a special barrier paper, old fashioned metal flashings, cement board instead of foam board and a combination of a Portland cement basecoat topped with a textured polymer stucco material.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I use a system incorporates a special barrier paper, old fashioned metal flashings, cement board instead of foam board and a combination of a Portland cement basecoat topped with a textured polymer stucco material.
We use densglass (fiberglass based gyp board), covered w/ various waterproofing elements (depending on the job) and always metal flashing. Sometimes the flashing is soldered at the corners. If it's really cut up with reveals, windows, etc. Othewise good sealant usually works fine.

It's crazy though. I use some pretty pricey waterproofing consultants on some of my jobs and you wouldn't believe the stuff they come up with. Water is tricky.

We've even done negative pressure tests on windows & plaster infill assemblies on larger buildings just to be absolutely sure that no water is coming in.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We use densglass (fiberglass based gyp board), covered w/ various waterproofing elements (depending on the job) and always metal flashing. Sometimes the flashing is soldered at the corners. If it's really cut up with reveals, windows, etc. Othewise good sealant usually works fine.

It's crazy though. I use some pretty pricey waterproofing consultants on some of my jobs and you wouldn't believe the stuff they come up with. Water is tricky.

We've even done negative pressure tests on windows & plaster infill assemblies on larger buildings just to be absolutely sure that no water is coming in.
Yes, it's a huge liability. Nothing worse than improperly flashed/sealed stucco.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
This is more my speed...

...but then, i took 4 years of architecture long ago - my mind is fully poisoned...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
This is more my speed...

...but then, i took 4 years of architecture long ago - my mind is fully poisoned...
I love that type of architecture...

However, it is a very very very small market that likes that kind of architecture. Most people want a house that looks like every other house in the neighborhood.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Oh, I know it. In North America, these places only exist in non-neighborhoods. In Toronto, there's a place that used to be commercial - only - like 1960's industrial park stuff. Business dried up, buildings came down, and three or four guys bought stuff like this. Only place like it I've ever seen.

Usually, it's on a couple of acres outside of town...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You certainly don't want a neihbor in that kind of house who walks around in their underwear a bunch. That is unless your neihbor is Heidi Klum.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh, I know it. In North America, these places only exist in non-neighborhoods. In Toronto, there's a place that used to be commercial - only - like 1960's industrial park stuff. Business dried up, buildings came down, and three or four guys bought stuff like this. Only place like it I've ever seen.

Usually, it's on a couple of acres outside of town...

well, with that much glass it would be a good idea since i like to lounge about in me lucky drawers...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
You certainly don't want a neihbor in that kind of house who walks around in their underwear a bunch. That is unless your neihbor is Heidi Klum.
I agree on general principle. Nearly naked supermodels parading about trumps just about anything.

However, the one of these exact buildings I've seen has this glass face open to a broad vista over rolling countryside...

Like anything with big windows, i suppose.