Quantcast

Bullit or Heckler?

Mar 23, 2005
Emmaus, PA
OK, here is the deal. I am an ubernewbie. I am still two notches below "poseur". I really want to take the plunge and get a nice bike. Today (tomorrow it may change), I am set on a Santa Cruz. I know, their customer service may leave something to be desired, but I have been brainwashed by The Santa Cruz mystique. And since I just moved to the East Coast from CA, they were very popular there and all I ever heard were how much people loved theirs.

Anway, I am a big guy - 6ft, 250 (on a good day) and 37 years old. I used to ride mostly urban on an 01 Kona Scrap (first and only mountain bike). I also logged some very fun urban miles on my Marin Novato. I have since sold both bikes back in Oct. My days of idiot launches and broken bones are about done. I still like to catch air, but more in 3-4 feet (max) range. I hope to ride at least 4 days a week. My riding will likely be broken down into 2 days of mild urban assault and 2 days of aggressive trail and/or XC (newbie level).

I have already been to my LBS (and others not so local) four times in the last week for back to back test rides and I am still unable to figure out which frame will be best for me. I am not so much worried about the components, since I can switch out (as I learn more about what I need). Usually when people explain the components, I have no clue what they are talking about. I hope to buy a bike in the next week.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Flip a coin really.... One is lighter and tough, the other is heavier and tougher. From your description the heckler is probably your cup of tea. Put a Fox 36 fork on whichever frame you get, you'll be set.

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
I'd go the other way - the Bullit is a much tougher bike and you are 250 lbs. Throw a big single crown on it, and you can still easily build it into the low 30 lb range. It's a gnarly trail bike - climbs well, descends better. If you could break it doing 4' drops, I'd be really impressed.

A Heckler on the other hand might be a little fragile for you, and the last time I looked, the weight savings on a Heckler + 5th coil shock weren't that great as compared with a bullit of a similar build (even if you did get a heckler, I don't think you want an air shock - but talk to your LBS about this).

Bullit is your boy. You won't be dissapointed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I think the Heckler would hold up fine under his weight with a stiffer spring. It really doesn't seem like he needs 7 inches of travel in the rear if he's hitting max 4 footers. Weight is negligible, but the Heckler is going to be more fun to play around on, not squish about so much.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have a Bullit and love it. I am 6'1", 230lbs(was up to 250 a few months ago) and 46 years old. My Bullit is built up pretty heavy as a downhill/freeride sled. Mavic D321's with 2.7 Minion in the front, 2.5 Highroller in the rear, Hussefelt cranks, 2004 Super T (7"), Hayes 8" Hydros, EA70 bars, Thomson Post and wish I had a Brake Therapy Floater on there. My bike weighs 41lbs. I know I could drop 3-4 lbs by getting a lighter crankset and lighter wheelset and switching to tubeless. This is a great downhill'freeride rig and I really have no worries about breaking it. The Bullit is a super strong platform. The Heckler is also strong but not quite as much so as the Bullit. The Heckler frame is about a pound lighter than the Bullit. Both are awesome frames. I ran into a guy on the trail yesterday that had a Bullit built up light with a Rockshox Pike fork and he seemed to get getting around just fine using the bike as a trailbike. I'm sure you could build a Bullit up to around 30 to 32lbs and have a pretty fun all around bike.

I have a couple of friends with VP Free's on one has a light downhill build and weighs 35lbs with a 888 RC and the other is 32lbs with a Sherman Firefly. These were not inexpensive builds though. All bolts were switched out with Ti bolts, Raceface carbon cranks and pretty light tubeless wheelsets and single ply Kendas with sticky rubber. Light, durable and 8+ inches of travel is pretty damn appealing to me. You have a lot of options depending on how much money you want to spend. I love Santa Cruz bikes and am sure that whether it be a Bullit, Heckler or VP Free you will love your bike. You may also consider the new Intense Uzzi or 5.5 if you really want a nice Gucci Ride.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Corporatefailure said:
Get a heckler with a fifth element, the bullits get really bad break jack, at yet they don’t come stock with break therapy
I have a bullit and it doesn't seem like it has that much break jack...

the bullit frame is only a pound heavier than the heckler frame, but with an extra two inches of travel. people that talk about them being so heavy is because many people end up building them up for huge drops and DH only. with a lighter trail build, the bullit can be lighter.

heckler is really nice too, but seems like a light freeride bike, because it's made to be a trail bike that can handle some small drops/jumps.

just a little extra info to help you decide which bike would be better for you

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If you're going big get a Bullit. Brake jack just reminds you to lay off the damn brakes!!! It's not that big a deal.

Mike

PRELOADED

Chimp
Sep 15, 2002
Rhode Island, USA
I have both a bullit and a Heckler - While I love both - I think the Heckler is a better call for all but lift seviced riding....- May I suggest a Fox DHX? - Since I have removed the 5th and put on the DHX - I am much happier with the overall performance - I have droped, climbed and pushed the corners hard in pretty scrappy New England single track (we were out today) and I have moved the Hecker ahead of the bullit in preferrence. I recently replaced my Minute with an 05 Sherman Firefly - I really like this fork.... The minute was short and flexy and sensative to cold... The 66 was too tall (for almost any frame) My build weighs 33 lbs. with Outlaws, Holzfeller Cranks, DH BB, Hayes, Evil guide and Steel 26, 36 Chainrings - I only weigh 170 lbs - but I have broken weaker frames.... Bottom line - if you like the feel/geometry of Santa Cruz - you will love either bike - I can ride virtually any Medium Santa Cruz (from Heckler up anyway..) and be happy... because they fit....