Quantcast

Bunny Hop?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I could clear a 24" log on my DH bike when I had to... Just messing around in a parking lot, I can usually get any bike a foot or so off the ground. Oddly, how high I can hop is directly related to how high I need to go to clear an obstical in my way... so I'm not really sure what my max is. :confused:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ian F said:
I could clear a 24" log on my DH bike when I had to... Just messing around in a parking lot, I can usually get any bike a foot or so off the ground. Oddly, how high I can hop is directly related to how high I need to go to clear an obstical in my way... so I'm not really sure what my max is. :confused:
Same thing happens to me. One of my best moments on a ride ever was ripping down a dry streambed and seeing a log that had fallen across it. I was going too fast to stop so I pulled the best bunny hop of my life and both tires just touched the top of it. It was definitely well over a foot high, at least around 2'. Flat ground, I can probably get both tires a foot or so, maybe a bit less. Besides, it's rare you actually have to hop anything when actually riding.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
JRogers said:
Besides, it's rare you actually have to hop anything when actually riding.

Maybe where you ride. I bunny hop stuff all the time.
Even if you don't have to bunny hop to clear an obstacle, it's the same motion you use when pre-jumping something. It's a good skill to work on.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
buildyourown said:
Even if you don't have to bunny hop to clear an obstacle, it's the same motion you use when pre-jumping something. It's a good skill to work on.

Or when you are riding down the trail and suddenly it disappears b/c it washed down a 100ft cliff, and you have to hop a 6ft gap or DIE

Or like up at Whistler when you are coming down Garbanzo, you go past the other lift, and there is a 3ft trench you have to hop.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
caputo1989 said:
I ride an '04 Big Hit Expert.
bighits hop nicely... I have a friend that could hop onto a picnic table.
Also depends on your suspension setup... a fast rebound should help your height (if that's what you're going for)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I can get over pretty big logs (3 feet at least) and onto loading docks on my big bike, but if your wheels touch it's not the same as a competition-style hop. By popping off the log you can clear things much bigger than your biggest parking lot hop. I've always done the front-wheel first style of hop, so with a big log what I do is get the front wheel pretty much on top and pull up from there. If it goes well I end up popping both tires off the log, kind of like hitting a jump lip. Momentum, suspension, and confidence are your friends here. Just make sure to keep the front end up, or its endo city when the rear wheel hits the log.

There's this one log I'm thinking of that is at least 2.5 feet, I actually pop it like a jump and style a little air off it. Drives my friends nuts, especially if they're in front and have to stop, only to watch me clear it...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I can get my giant about 12 inches maybe on flat ground... thats if the rebound is at what it normally is

I can probably get it around 2 feet if i back the rebound dial all the way out.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
OGRipper said:
Drives my friends nuts, especially if they're in front and have to stop, only to watch me clear it...
you are a rockstar.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
-BB- said:
Or like up at Whistler when you are coming down Garbanzo, you go past the other lift, and there is a 3ft trench you have to hop.
LOL! I think I remember that... cruising along... "hey look... nice little jump..." get closer... "OH CRAP! That ain't so little! And I'm going way too fast to stop now!! Here goes nothin!"

Some time ago, I did an XC ride on my M-1 to test some new settings... went by myself and ended up hooking with a couple of locals who knew the trails better than I did... All was good... The faster guy would lose me in the straights (riding a Titus Racer X), but I could corner better and would catch him in the twisties. Then they found out I could hop better than many... then it turned into a ride of finding every single log in the park and goading me into jumping over them... :rolleyes:

Some bikes are easier to hop than others and set-up plays a factor as well. The way I had the M1 set (low, slack, short stays, Avy w/ Ti spring) made it one of the easiest bikes to hop I have ever owned. Didn't matter if I had my Boxxer or my Monster T on it. On the few occasions I road a V-10, I didn't find it too hard to hop... not like the Super 8... which was a bear for me to get off the ground even a few inches...

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
I can hop my dh4 6-12", but my bro's v10, about 2" max... (it does have an 02' monster and 3.0's on it tho).

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
buildyourown said:

Haha yeah... I bunny hop somthing atleast every 5 mins thru a ride. Street or trail.... Agreed on the prejumping

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
=[Stinky]= said:
Haha yeah... I bunny hop somthing atleast every 5 mins thru a ride. Street or trail.... Agreed on the prejumping
What I really meant was that there are few places on many trails (DH included) where you HAVE to hop over a few inches. I've ridden at most every DH mountain in the NE, and I've found this to be the case. I do usually hop quite a bit (faster to fly over than roll over) but it's not like there are huge rocks and logs all over that a well-timed manual and a weight shift can't handle.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
caputo1989 said:
I ride an '04 Big Hit Expert.

got the same bike. good stuff. when i got it new and assembled it, it had i think a 4 or 450 spring. i weigh 250 so i bottom that on 3' drops. but i had the rebound all the way fast and the minimun air in the air chamber of the 4-way. i could bunny hop about 2.5 feet. it was crazy. i can only jump my i-drive about 16" while moving most of the time. thing was like a pogo stick. i now have the proper spring, rebound and air pressure in the rear so i can only hop it about 12" while moving. haven't needed to jump over big stuff yet. i think if i needed to, and i didn't have my camelbak on (i can hop much better without it) i could probably clear 2' without crashing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would love to see some pics or mpegs of guys bunnyhopping a DH bike up onto a loading dock. not saying it can't be done, but it's damn impressive.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
OGRipper said:
I can get over pretty big logs (3 feet at least) and onto loading docks on my big bike, but if your wheels touch it's not the same as a competition-style hop. By popping off the log you can clear things much bigger than your biggest parking lot hop. I've always done the front-wheel first style of hop, so with a big log what I do is get the front wheel pretty much on top and pull up from there. If it goes well I end up popping both tires off the log, kind of like hitting a jump lip. Momentum, suspension, and confidence are your friends here. Just make sure to keep the front end up, or its endo city when the rear wheel hits the log.

There's this one log I'm thinking of that is at least 2.5 feet, I actually pop it like a jump and style a little air off it. Drives my friends nuts, especially if they're in front and have to stop, only to watch me clear it...
for some reason that sounds a lot more like running into it with speed and pulling up then bunny hopping lol... if thats how u bunny hop ive been able to bunny hop up almost everything!